Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pesky little critters...

Liked

Pesky little critters...

No, I'm not referring to the boys, but to mosquitos.

I set off for Thailand next week. Normally I book into View Talay 5 or 7 on a high floor where, unless they're brought up in the lifts, mosquitos aren't a problem. This time, however, I'm staying in a hotel's very large ground floor room, quite close to the front door, so I am anticipating encountering quite a few of the little devils keeping me awake and in discomfort at night (no, as I said, I'm not referring to my human overnight guests).

So far I have bought a couple of devices that plug into the mains and release a flow of insecticide (the instructions say to leave them on while you're out of the room). Can anyone advise whether those are going to be effective, or whether something else is a better solution?

I also see that, as well as anti-inflammatory creams, you can now buy some sort of hand-held personal zapper that, applied to the skin, apparently releases some sort of "shock" (is it battery powered?) that neutralises the irritation of the mosquito bite. Has anyone tried one of those? Did it work? It sounds to me as though it's like overkill - the equivalent of making you forget the pain of a minor graze by cauterising it with a red hot iron - but if anyone here finds it effective I'm willing to give it a try.

Any advice will be gratefully received.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

Re: Pesky little critters...

Another alternative is a good mosquito net for the period of your sleep, unmolested, safe and secure.

Liked

Another alternative is just keep the doors and windows closed.

Liked

Unfortunately, Matt, that's not much use when the cleaning staff have left doors open during the day while they're at work and you're out. By the time you get back you've already got unwanted visitors.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

When I read the title o of the thread I thought it was about the mods.

My experience with mosquitoes is that what works well one day doesn't work as well a few days later. So I tend to use a variety of sprays, coils, plug ins and repellents in no particular rota.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Unfortunately, Matt, that's not much use when the cleaning staff have left doors open during the day while they're at work and you're out. By the time you get back you've already got unwanted visitors.

Well, you can always do what we do. unleash half a can of repellent in the room, then leave for an hour or two.

Seems to do the job fine. Bit stinky, but it works.

Liked

But yes, be careful about the mosquitos here. Not only are they annoying, they can also give you neat things like dengue fever. Not sure about you, but I don't want to find out what dengue fever feels like.

Personally, we just spray the shit out of our rooms, then leave them for a couple hours, and it seems to do the job just fine.

Liked

Brilliant solution, matt.

Liked

Do the mosquitoes die from the poison, or do they drown?

Liked

From matt's description I believe they shit themselves to death.