Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Flight Route

Liked

New Flight Route

Hainan Airlines of China has announced direct flights starting in June 2018 from Edinburgh or Dublin to Beijing.

There will be direct flights from both EDI and DUB to PEK and also "triangular" flights between the three

This opens up the possibility of EDI/DUB>PEK>BKK

No indication yet of pricing but Hainan Airlines are 5 star rated by Skytrax and there are very positive reviews.

Any increase in the options available should be a good thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-43414727

Last edited by scottish-guy; March 15th, 2018 at 21:07.

Banned
    Liked

Re: New Flight Route

Wow! Beijing is so convenient! Bangkok is just a mere 5 hour hop away!

Thanks for sharing....

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 15th, 2018), Dalewood (March 16th, 2018)

Liked

DXB/AUH/DOH which many of us use as a hub is a mere 7 hour hop - sometimes (but not always) with huge layovers on the cheaper tickets, so what's your fucking point ?

Liked

Minimee is simply doing to you what you do to everyone else. It seems you don't like it.

Liked

And what, pray, is your interpretation of what MiniMee is doing - you see I thought he had just made an ill-informed comment but are you suggesting he had another motivation?

Liked

Banned
    Liked

Personally, I would choose to fly direct from BKK to UK in +/-11 hrs but:

EDI - DXB/AHU/DOH = +/- 7 hrs
    DXB/AHU/DOH - BKK = +/- 6 hrs
    Total flying time (excl transfers) = +/-13 hrs

EDI - PEK = +/- 11hrs
    PEK - BKK = +/- 5hrs
    Total flying time (excl transfers) = +/-16 hrs

EDI via PEK:
    +23% compared to flights with transfer in UAE or
    +45% compared to direct

Would you really take an 11 hour flight to Northern Asia (when you could fly direct to BKK in the same time) and then wait for another 5hr flight to your destination? No thanks.

Liked

1. The "excluding transfers" (layover time) note on your timings ignores the fact that it can be 8 hours or more on the cheaper Emirates/Etihad/Qatar routes (or it can be as little as 2hrs on their more expensive tickets). Thus, depending on timings it's possible that EDI>PEK>BKK could be just as quick.

2. Since LHR to PEK is 9hrs 45 - struggling to see how you arrive at EDI to PEK at 11hrs. Agree it's 5hrs from PEK.BKK

But in any event, I'm just giving people information - whether they are interested or whether they disregard it, I leave up to them

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMee View Post
    ...Would you really take an 11 hour flight to Northern Asia (when you could fly direct to BKK in the same time) and then wait for another 5hr flight to your destination?
    I can't fly direct to BKK from anywhere north of London - nor can anybody who might be interested in this new service - so again, what's your point

Liked

I always flew direct, which from ams or bru amounts to about 11/13 hours. The last three years or so ranging from 525-650 euro. This Songkran, it was over 800 ex Bru on Thai.

Now this is the first time in nine years I am going without my Lao boyfriend (work does not allow him to join) so only one ticket, I have however decided to try a non direct flight for the first time ever, BRU-DXB-BKK 550 euro, 15/15 hours, which seems very reasonable, and great arrival/departure times at BKk. If it would have been something like 18/18 would have gone direct, 2 hours lay over is ok, 6 is not.

To clarify, the 15/15 is including transfer time.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Out of interest I live near London and have tried everything, except Emirates via Dubai. So this last trip i flew Emirates returning to UK today. Im not sure I will use them again. Let me explain why.

On the way out the layover was 1.5 hours. I thought this a little short but it was in their timetable. Anyway they met the aircraft with a bus and transferred us directly to the BKK flight, but it was tight.

The return flight today was a 3 hour lay over so I thought no problem. Well it was really except...
    a) they seem to use remote parking for all arrivals at Dubai and from landing to arriving in the terminal was an amazing 55 minutes! An A380 carries 500 odd people and this aircraft was full. Therefore, it needed no less than 10 buses to get everyone to the terminal, and the drive took 15 minutes.

b) The next flight departed from a different terminal and this required a lot of walking and then a 10 minute train journey.

c) we went through different security checks 3 times for some reason. Middle East?

It seems to me that Emirates with its 100 A380s and 150 odd other aircraft has already outgrown the Airport in Dubai.

It all worked out but the hassle has made me think twice about them.

Next time I'm thinking of Qatar, who I have used before, but using their new route from London to Doha to U Tapao, which starts soon.

Id be interested to hear how you get on justaguy!

12. User who gave Like to post:

poshglasgow (March 16th, 2018)