Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Criminal background checks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: Criminal background checks

If wanted, Moses or one of the mods is welcome to confirm that I'm nhow posting from a Canadian IP address.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Your story seems like a stick up, why would the Lao care that you have a blacklisting from Thailand ?
    I've heard lots of places will deny entry if they see a blacklisting stamp from another country in the passport. I went to Hong Kong once with a Thai guy who had a "denied visa" stamp in his passport from the Canadian Embassy. He was denied entry to Hong Kong

Liked

Oh sorry, screwed up. Ok, if you want an exact timeline:

- Departed Khon Kaen about 7am.
    - Got to border around 9am, 10 mins to exit Thailand.
    - Denied entry at Laos, 90 mins og me throwing a fit, and we go back to Nong Khai where I'm arrested.
    - By around 2pm we're all checked into the holding cell at Nong Khai. Leo was nice enough to come with me, and the police were nice enough to allow him as they were worried about me too. Was actually really nice. Huge room, just Leo and myself, nice comfortable mattresses (well, for a jail), pillows, large fan, TV, etc.

- Spent one night there, and all of the next day. That night we (myself, Leo, and police guy) drove to Udon Thani, and took a plane down to Bangkok where I was checked into IDC. Was checked in around midnight, and spent first night in room A14.

- Next morning, fingerprinted again, and moved to room 7, a more permanent unit. Spent that all day, that night, and most of next day. One the second day around 6pm I was pulled out and told I'm going home.

- They dragged about 30 of us out of our rooms, and put us into a small holding cell outside for the night. Around 4am the next morninng, military came and grabbed us all and transported us to BKK.

- I was on an airplane to Seoul at 9:20am that morning. 60 min layover, then off to Vancouver.

Now I'm here.

Liked

Oh, and to answer the question. Prior to the blacklisting laws, 98% of people coming across that Nong Khai border with a large overstay were simply there to spend a couple days in Laos, get a tourist VISA, then return to Thailand, so no worries about them.

However, now they can't return to Thailand, so where are they going to stay? Right, most likely just overstay in Laos, same as they did Thailand. That's why Laos obviously cares.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Sorry to hear that Matt. I hope you find a way to make the best of it going forward.

6. User who gave Like to post:

Tintin (March 30th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    Sorry to hear that Matt. I hope you find a way to make the best of it going forward.

Well, I'm fine, and Leo's fine. I'm no longer in IDC, so I'm happy. WThere's about 100 people per-room there, so while there I met quite a few people who have been there for 6+ months, and heard many stories about people being there for years because they can't afford a flight out, and have no friends ir family to help. Thankfully, I was out right away.

Leeo's fine, although a little lost as to what to do, and a little worried that I will just forget him and stay in Canada. I think he knows not to worry about it though.

Now my dogs on the other hand I'm worried sick about. Will get Leo another chunk of money in the next few days, he can rent another house, pick up the dogs and move with them there. As long as their under Leo's care, then I'll be happy, and we can work on the rest. They're terrified I'm sure, and have no clue what just happened.

I guess get fucked if you ever think I'm getting them into a carrier cage again.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    I too am sorry to hear that things went so badly wrong, cdnmatt. I hope it will not be too long before you and Leo are reunited.

9. User who gave Like to post:

Liked

Yes, it sounds like a horrible experience you've been through Matt and I hope you can work something out. Keep your chin up, as we English say.

11. User who gave Like to post:

Liked

Right Matt, so you already got your story mixed up. If the Lao were so uptight about overstaying how did you obtain your visa at the KK consulate, as you claimed you already obtain said visa. Surely the consulate staff there would have noticed you were already on an extensive overstay.

In any case, you have been warned about the consequences of your extensive overstay, and that you would most likely end up in Canada.

On the one hand I feel sorry for you (providing all of this is indeed true) on the other hand, it IS your own fault. Overstaying by a few days or so can happen, overstaying with a few years, is simply taking the Mickey. AND you had plenty of warning to get legit again, just about 1.5 years ago, you could have walked through that border, with the 20K fine and returned with a proper visa, and yes many people have done so at the time. You failed to do so, and are now blacklisted.

Good luck with the dogs and Leo, providing your story is true. Forgive me if I am very very sceptical about all of this.

As to proof, all it would take is a copy of the blacklist stamp you received in your passport.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Right Matt, so you already got your story mixed up. If the Lao were so uptight about overstaying how did you obtain your visa at the KK consulate, as you claimed you already obtain said visa. Surely the consulate staff there would have noticed you were already on an extensive overstay.
    In my experience South East Asian consulates hand out visitor visas on a no questions asked basis, no care, no responsibility. The Cambodians allow for a visa to be issued without any sighting of the passport whatsoever with their online visa application. It's always up to the Immigration officers at the border to decide whether they will permit the visa holder to enter the country, and that's true of every country in the world.