Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Criminal background checks

Liked

Re: Criminal background checks

I guess rules are rules? Every Country operates in there own way. Simple!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Right - that was my point - so doesn't Leo also have to go to Laos to get a certificate - or has he done that already

Yes, he'll need one from Laos as well. We're moving there within days though, and just in our final days of living in Thailand, so are getting all final preperations in place, especially considering I most likely won't be allowed in Thailand again for 10 years.

But yes, a criminal background check from the Laos police will be required as well. I just assumed getting one here in Thailand would be a pretty easy and routine process, but apparently not, and he has to show up in Bangkok in person.

I'm sorry, but that's just fucken stupid. In Canada, you can just go to any local police station in the country, and get a criminal background check. They don't make you travel to Ottawa or Toronto to get one. Hell, you can even get a report from the FBI or Interpol remotely.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    Yes, the Thai authorities can do a criminal background check on him. He'll require one for every country he's lived in for 6+ months, which means from both, Thailand and Laos.
    Matt, a lot depends on your definition of “lived in” and I think your assumption is not correct. To be “ordinarily resident” (ie living) in a country one usually has to have some form of residential visa or a work permit or pay taxes or something. Since, as justaguy mentioned, we understand that Leo just enters Thailand on a visa exempt basis to visit you but returns to Laos regularly, he has not “lived in” Thailand at all. He is just a frequent tourist and should therefore not need to obtain a criminal record check from the Thai Authorities to satisfy Canadian immigration. Just don’t declare Thailand as a “lived in” country as there is no evidence that he has.

Quote Originally Posted by scottishguy
    I'll be surprised if the Thai police can give a clean bill of health for Laos - I'm sceptical they share information to that extent
    Of course they can’t you numpty. But just supposing Leo had been ordinarily resident in Thailand for more than 180 days (as cdnmatt has incorrectly assumed) then all the Thai Authorities would check and confirm is if he had been involved in any criminal activity in Thailand whilst he was ordinarily resident.

A lot of muddle-headed thinking here. No wonder you find these things to be so difficult.

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 14th, 2018), mr giggles (March 18th, 2018)

Liked

The Canadian government isn't stupid, and we're definitely not about to lie to them. They'll see the stamps in his passport, and will easily ascertain he's been living in Thailand for the last 18 months, hence will want a background check from the Thai police.

It'll be difficult enough as is to get him a VISA, so last thing we're going to do is skirt the rules. It'll actually be the opposite, and we'll provide far more than what's actually required just to help ensure he gets granted a VISA.

Banned
    Liked

I’m not suggesting that you lie to the Canadian Authorities. Far from it. But I do suggest you get a proper understanding of their requirements and seek advice from your lawyer on the definition of ordinarily resident or “lived in”. Otherwise, just go ahead and get clearance from the Thai Police, but don’t stress when you find that you are trying to get them to do something that does not fit with their procedures.

Liked

I can nearly 100% guarantee you that if we submit a visitor VISA application to the Australian embassy in Vientiane without a criminal background record from Thai police, they will deny the application and request it.

Canadians love to bitch and complain that the Canadian government just lets anyone and everyone in, but that's simply not true. It's actually very difficult to get into Canada. I know, because I've been through this type of process before.

Whatever, doesn't matter anymore. We don't have time for him to go to Bangkok, as we need to be gone within days. I'll send him to Bangkok on his own in a few weeks to get the background check. How fucken stupid....

Liked

Right - so I strongly suggest that something can’t be done.

I then get abuse from MiniMee on the grounds that the thing I strongly suggested couldnt be done, can’t in fact be done - as I strongly suggested in the first place.

And the esteemed Mod thinks that’s worthy of a “like”.

Sigh

Liked

This is very funny. Scottish Guy has come here to offer his advice on Matt's immigration problems while Matt has gone to the Everything Else forum to offer Scottish Guy advice on his. Reminds me of the Laurel and Hardy sketch where Stan keeps giving the clean plate to Oliver who cleans.it and.gives it back to Stan.
    Last edited by arsenal; March 14th, 2018 at 22:06.

10. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 25th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    No, I'm most likely getting myself blacklisted for 10 years, and get fucked if you think I'm travelling on the highway to Bangkok. I'm just working on getting across that Nong Khai border safely without ending up in a jial cell.

The criminal background check is for Leo and the Canadian government to get him granted a visitor VISA. It's not for me at all.
    Oh my, what utter rubbish, to get to Nong Khai from Khon Kaen, you need to travel on the very same highway, going the other way !

You could take the train if you are that worried about being checked, or let Leo go alone, I'm sure he can manage. And I already understood the criminal check was for Leo, hence the visa remark.

But now I still see you want to get to Lao illegally, which is utterly stupid, you are not a Lao, so you will go from being illegally in Thailand to being illegally in Lao. Granted, the Lao are not this stung up with the whole issue of overstaying than the Thai, but it might be a good idea to bite the bullet, secure Leo a visa, go to the Airport and fly back to Canada with him. All that will happen is you will pay 20K overstay fine and get blacklisted for 10 years. No big deal

Edit: I just realized, you might actually be thinking of crossing the border at Nong Khai normally, and expected to get a 10 year blacklist + 20K fine, as opposed to crossing the border illegally.

Did you inquire if that is even possible, it wouldn't surprise me if they send you back to Bangkok with a massive overstay. Quite possibly to the IDC. If I were you, I would have a ticket out to Canada ready just in case..

12. User who gave Like to post:

Smiles (March 15th, 2018)

Liked

Yes, Leo will go to Bangkok on his own again in a few weeks. We don't have 72 hours to spare at the moment, so I guess he'll just have to wait until we're settled into Vientiane, and he can go then. Still stupid...

Yes, I plan to cross the border legally. I'll get a 15 day tourist VISA upon entering Laos, and already have a 1 year business VISA lined up.

Basically last and only preperation left is figuring out how to cross that Nong Khai border without issue. I've contacted several immigration lawyers, and all have said they're unable to help. Next step is to contact local immigration directly, request leniency, and hope to hell I can somehow get a 3 day emergency VISA. I really don't feel like travelling on the highway without a VISA in my passport, because if I hit a checkpoint before getting to the order, it's technically 1 year in Thai jail. I'm blind plus will have the dogs with me, so going to jail isn't much of an option.

And no, I'm not going back to Canada without Leo. I decided that on September 17th, 2016 to be exact. That's when I was in the hospital just upon going blind, Leo and myself didn't really even know each other at the time, but for some reason he did a u-turn at that Laos border and came back to take care of me instead of going to visit his family and friends. That's when I promised both him and myself that the next time I'm on a plane to Canada, he'll be on the plane with me, and I intend to make good on that promise. It's his life dream to visit Canada.

However, it will be a good 4 month before he has a Canadian visitor VISA in his passport. About a month to gather all necessary documentation and get it translated into English. Then the posted processing time from the Canadian government is 38 business days, so say 2 months. However, due to his background, I highly doubt he's just going to sail through the application process, so let's say 3 months processing time. I'm confident I'll be able to get him a VISA, but I also know what I'm in for.

Again, people love to complain that Canada just lets anyone and everyone in, and that's simply not true. It's actually very difficult to get into Canada.