Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Criminal background checks

Liked

Criminal background checks

Anyone have experience with this? We're in our final days in Khon Kaen, so are running around getting all needed documentation before I get my ass blacklisted for 10 years, and so we can secure him a visitor VISA to Canada.

He's lived in Thailand for over 6 months, so I'm sure the Canadian government will want a criminal background check from the Thai police for him. Told him to get one, he says he went to three police stations, and they all told him he needs to go to Bangkok to get it. That has to be bullshit, and he just doesn't know what he's doing.

At least in Canada, criminal background checks are very common, cost about $10, and you can't even get a job as a landscaper without one. I can't possibly see why he'd have to travel to Bangkok to get one.

Anyone with any experience with this? We should be capable of obtaining a criminal record at any local police station, right? If not, can we just do it via mail in Bangkok without actually having to travel to Bangkok?

Liked

Re: Criminal background checks

Hold on, a trip to Lao is out now ? Not sure if the Thai authorities can perform criminal background checks into Lao citizens that are on visa exempt by crossing the border every month.

Good luck with your visa application. Not sure when you are going to get blacklisted, but securing visas to first world countries, usually take some time before being granted. Allthough if you are Lucky, you could be in and out in a week or so.

Liked

Yes, the Thai authorities can do a criminal background check on him. He'll require one for every country he's lived in for 6+ months, which means from both, Thailand and Laos. He should just have to provide any police station his passport, they punch his name and birth date into the computer, and print out a piece of paper saying he has no recorded criminal activity in Thailand. It's that simple.

As per-usual though, it's turned into a gone show. The cops here told him he needs to go to Bangkok, which obviously can't be correct.

I know the Canadian government is going to require it though, because they won't issue him a visitor VISA without a criminal background check from any country he['s lived in for 6+ months.

Liked

Ok, then just go to Bangkok, you probably need to go there anyway to get a visa.

Liked

No, I'm most likely getting myself blacklisted for 10 years, and get fucked if you think I'm travelling on the highway to Bangkok. I'm just working on getting across that Nong Khai border safely without ending up in a jial cell.

The criminal background check is for Leo and the Canadian government to get him granted a visitor VISA. It's not for me at all.

Liked

As far as I understand, the police did tell him correctly. I know for an immigrant visa to the USA, a criminal background check is also required. The ONLY Police station that does this is the main police station near Lumpini Park in Bangkok. There are no other options. It is actually, for Thailand, a quite sophisticated little operation. Leo has to be there in person. They run his fingerprints through a system, ask him some questions, and, in our case, they called the local police station in my husband's village.

Anyway - it looks like if you want him to get the right criminal clearance, it will have to be done in Bangkok. He can do it on his own easily. If you need the exact name of the police station and better directions, let me know, I will try to look through my paperwork and see if I can find it.

Cheers -

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 14th, 2018), christianpfc (March 24th, 2018)

Liked

Really? So what Leo told me is the truth, and he actually needs to be in-person in Bangkok for a criminal background check? How absolutely fucken retarded.

In Canada, you can't even get a job as a taxi driver without a criminal background check, and it's a cery standard procedure thqat takes 5 minutes and about $10. I remember before when I got my farang husband permanent residency status to Canada, it took four criminal background checks -- Canada, Florida, FBI, Hungary. We were able to do all four in Canada without issue.

Alright then, another thing on the to-do list. How fucken stupid. Just punch his name and birth date into a computer, and print a piece of paper saying he has no criminal convictions in Thailand. It's that simple. No idea why he has to go all the way to Bangkok for that.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Yes, the Thai authorities can do a criminal background check on him. He'll require one for every country he's lived in for 6+ months, which means from both, Thailand and Laos. He should just have to provide any police station his passport, they punch his name and birth date into the computer, and print out a piece of paper saying he has no recorded criminal activity in Thailand. It's that simple.
    I'll be surprised if the Thai police can give a clean bill of health for Laos - I'm sceptical they share information to that extent - and if that's the case I can't see the Canadian authorities accepting partial information (theoretically he could be an axe murderer on the run in Laos but squeaky clean in Thailand) but hey it's your country, you should know....
    Last edited by scottish-guy; March 14th, 2018 at 16:36.

Liked

Again, any country he's lived in for 6+ months he needs a criminal background check for, before being granted a VISA to Canada.

The Canadian government is somehow aware that various governments don't share police records with each other, hence why they require a background check from each country you've lived in. I don't know, I guess Canada is just really acutely aware in that manner.

Liked

Right - that was my point - so doesn't Leo also have to go to Laos to get a certificate - or has he done that already