Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Criminal background checks

No Platformed
    Liked

Re: Criminal background checks

And pay the fine, no? If can't pay the fine it's 100 days

Liked

Right, if you can't pay the fine, you work it off in jail at 200 baht/day, so 100 days. I can pay the fine though, so non-issue.

I'm just a little worried about what's going to happen when I hit that Nong Khai border? Do I get detained and brought before a judge? Or do they just blacklist me there and then, and tell me to fuck off out of Thailand? I'm blind, plus will have two 30kg dogs with me when I hit the border.

That, and I don't want to take the chance of travelling down the highway, because if I hit a checkpoint before I hit the border, then it's a whole new problem. Still haven't heard back from immigration, so who knows.

That, and Leo apparently isn't capable of finding a house in Vientiane. He's adamant that we need to pay 6 or 12 months rent upfront, and he better not do that, or I'll be pissed. Not sure what do about this now. Maybe just get him back to Khon Kaen, get him to the mall and dressed up in a 3 piece business suit, get some business cards printed, and fire him off back to Vientiane. I'm illegal, plus I need to stay here and take care of the dogs, so he needs to figure out how to rent a house on his own

One last hurdle, and we're living a life beyond dreams. Come on honey, pull through for me.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Here endeth my interest.
    Probably
    Don't abandon the Titanic just yet mate. It's getting dumber by the day with his last post.
    He's about to buy Leo a tuxedo to ensure that Immigration will -- of course! -- open the gates to Lao with big smiles, whispering "Wow, Hi So".
    It will get even better ... probably.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

4. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 25th, 2018)

Liked

[QUOTE=cdnmatt;238379]Really? So what Leo told me is the truth, and he actually needs to be in-person in Bangkok for a criminal background check? How absolutely fucken retarded.

In Canada, you can't even get a job as a taxi driver without a criminal background check, and it's a cery standard procedure thqat takes 5 minutes and about $10. I remember before when I got my farang husband permanent residency status to Canada, it took four criminal background checks -- Canada, Florida, FBI, Hungary. We were able to do all four in Canada without issue.

you're not in Canada any more, Dorothy!

Liked

No, my immigration status to Laos is already covered.

It's just Leo seems to be incapable of renting us a house, because he says everyone requires 6 or 12 months rent up front. No, that's one of those travelling 101 things you simply don't do.

I guess he's coming back tomorrow, so now I don't know what the fuck to do. I guess I'll just find a house on the internet myself, even though I don't speak Laos, am not in Vientiane, plus am blind so can't see photos of the place. I'm sure this will work out just splendidly.

Fuck honey, just get a house, even if it's just a vacation rental for a month or two. Just somewhere with a large gated yard where we can put the dogs. How difficult could that possibly be? He has a budget of about 200,000 baht. That should be more than enough to get us a house for a month or two.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

http://jclao.com/all-expats-need-to-...ental-in-laos/

Rent Payment:
    Unlike in western countries, most landowners in Laos do not expect bond money (a security deposit). Most leases for houses are paid a year in advance and in cash, a few landlords may accept six months in advance. Most apartments accept monthly payments, some however take a security deposit. The longer the rent is paid in advance, the better the chances are to reduce the total rent price or to negotiate for additional furniture or fittings.

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 25th, 2018), Tintin (March 18th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Oh my, what utter rubbish, to get to Nong Khai from Khon Kaen, you need to travel on the very same highway, going the other way !

You could take the train if you are that worried about being checked, or let Leo go alone, I'm sure he can manage. And I already understood the criminal check was for Leo, hence the visa remark.

But now I still see you want to get to Lao illegally, which is utterly stupid, you are not a Lao, so you will go from being illegally in Thailand to being illegally in Lao. Granted, the Lao are not this stung up with the whole issue of overstaying than the Thai, but it might be a good idea to bite the bullet, secure Leo a visa, go to the Airport and fly back to Canada with him. All that will happen is you will pay 20K overstay fine and get blacklisted for 10 years. No big deal

Edit: I just realized, you might actually be thinking of crossing the border at Nong Khai normally, and expected to get a 10 year blacklist + 20K fine, as opposed to crossing the border illegally.

Did you inquire if that is even possible, it wouldn't surprise me if they send you back to Bangkok with a massive overstay. Quite possibly to the IDC. If I were you, I would have a ticket out to Canada ready just in case..
    Yeah Matt, so you will blacklisted for 10 years in Thailand and Laos, and Leo is only on a Canadian visitor visa so will have to leave Canada.

So, you will end up in different continents shortly.... well, you were never that happy with the relationship so you can finally get rid of him, good thinking!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    Too be quick and blunt: there isn't a chance in hell your 'husband' will be able to obtain a Visa to get into Canada.
    You've managed to break Thailand's immigration laws for years now, so I doubt you are much of a fall back helper with that, given that your own Canadian passport is full of lies itself.
    There's so much nonsense and stupidity in your posts on this thread that it boggles the mind ...starting out mundanely with the background check fee being $10 -- it's actually $28 -- and getting more surreal by the sentence.

In Australia, it's $139.00 for a fingerprint and National Police Check application, where fingerprints are taken and processed by the Fed Police.

Liked

Mr Giggles ... just FYI: I assume the quite large difference in fee cost between Canada and Oz is that, in my one-time only need for such a criminal record document, is that fingerprints were not needed (don't ask me why) in my case. Thus the rather small fee.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Oh my! The tension is really building, as 'the great escape' nears.

This is one of the better parts of this novel.
    ..........and that's the way it is.

13. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (March 18th, 2018), Smiles (March 18th, 2018)