Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dreaded Ned website has been closed

Banned
    Liked

Re: Dreaded Ned website has been closed

Quote Originally Posted by colmx View Post
    (Pretty much like you were not welcome here until the current owner allowed allowed back - for some peculiar reason)
    Your grasp of the facts seems as tenuous as your grasp of history

Liked

Facts and anything to do with this board have only a very loose association with each other.

We thrive mostly on tittle-tattle with the occasional foray into complete lies

3. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (February 25th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by werner View Post
    What website[s] provide similar listings of gay venues in Thailand?
    www.gayinchiangmai.com for everything gay in Chiang Mai, and we strive to keep it as up to date as possible.
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]

5. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Patanawet (February 25th, 2018), Surfcrest (February 27th, 2018), werner (March 1st, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by colmx View Post
    And what exactly was the SGT predecessor Forum? surely it was PattayaGay... it was probably one of the most successful boards... until Allen decided to shut it down and Smiles created the first incarnation of a Sawatdee board?
    I'm sure Smiles will pop up soon enough to confirm the order in which things happened and settle your muddled memories!
    Popping up . . . the problem with exact time-lines regarding the many gay Thailand message boards is that most have been along side one another. As time goes by folks get the years mixed up. The over-lapping is difficult, but I'll try.

~~ The Dreaded Ned Board existed fairly closely to the original GayButton Board. (Late 90's). PattayaGay sprung up either around 1999 or 2000. At about the same time as Dreaded Ned and into 2000's and about 2001 there was a very wild and wooly board (the name of which I've forgotten) which existed only under the "ladder" style, was moderator-less and crazy, and housed the infamous 'Flashlight Rick'. That board went by the wayside at about 2001. These three boards were alive at the same time.

~~ In late 2001 or early 2002 Smiles ~ that would be me ~ started up a "ladder" style Board named Sawatdee Forum. This was also about the time that Dreaded Ned pulled the message board part of the website ~ I think there was some legal issues ~and DN turned into a information-only website: i.e. lists and maps of gay venues; reviews of venues etc etc. GayButton, Pattaya Gay, and Sawatdee were also both running at the same time.

~~ In middle 2002 Sawatdee Forum changed from the original "Ladder" style into the much more standard style of GayButton and PattayaGay. Dreaded Ned still existed but was message board-free and languished, hardly ever up-dated. It went into a coma for many years, just recently kicking the bucket.

~~ I think sometime around 2003 PattayaGay was taken down. GayButtton and Sawatdee were essentially the only message boards of note in the field. The main difference between the two boards was 'moderation'. The former was highly moderated, but info rich ... mostly about Pattaya goings on. The latter was very loosely moderated and more Thailand-centric rather than Pattaya-centric. This situation carried on well into 2005~2007 when Ting Tong Board and GayThailand and Baht-Stop were started. All of sudden there were six!

~~ (Now I'm starting to have some memory problems.) Ting Tong Board lasted into around 2009 or 2010. Baht-Stop bit the dust a little after that. There was a few attemps at other gay Thailand message boards, but none lasted long.
    Sawatdee, GayButton, and GayThailand are still in the boxing ring during this time frame, and as it is to this day in 2018.

~~ Gaybutton
    is still owned and moderated by the same one-and-only long-lived person. His board is still highly moderated but is still very popular, and deserves kudos for longevity, as well as becoming a bit easier on the hammer nowadays.

~~ GayThailand has had more than one owner, and more than one Moderator ... it also is over-moderated (IMO) and has a cabal of favourite long-termers who run the place.

~~ Sawatdee (going under different names over the years, but each has included the word 'Sawatdee', and that is how most folks refer to it as). It has had five owners (i.e. Smiles, ElephantSpike, Neil-The-Cunt, Surfcrest, and now Moses). Smiles and Surfcrest (I think) moderated alone ... ElephantSpike had one Mod ... Neil-The-Cunt had one mod ... and now Sawatdee has far too many. It remains the most hard-nosed and edgiest board. Let's hope it stays that way, but I'm not all that positive.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

7. 9 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (February 25th, 2018), dab69 (March 13th, 2018), Davey612 (February 25th, 2018), GWMinUS (March 2nd, 2018), joe552 (February 25th, 2018), mr giggles (February 25th, 2018), snotface (February 25th, 2018), Surfcrest (February 27th, 2018), Tintin (February 25th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    Popping up . . . the problem with exact time-lines regarding the many gay Thailand message boards is that most have been along side one another. As time goes by folks get the years mixed up. The over-lapping is difficult, but I'll try.

~~ In late 2001 or early 2002 Smiles ~ that would be me ~ started up a "ladder" style Board named Sawatdee Forum. This was also about the time that Dreaded Ned pulled the message board part of the website ~ I think there was some legal issues ~and DN turned into a information-only website: i.e. lists and maps of gay venues; reviews of venues etc etc. GayButton, Pattaya Gay, and Sawatdee were also both running at the same time.
    That is my recollection - DN and Sawatdee were briefly contemporaneous. As I recall DN may even have directed its ex-followers to Sawatdee. However a board known as "Thaiguys" preceded them both. Pattaya boards were irrelevant - a sideshow in fact

Liked

The Dreaded Ned board was where I first started posting. Sharing views and stories about the gay scene in Thailand felt novel and exciting back then. Each day I would tune in eagerly to check out responses to my own posts and see what was new. Subjects which now produce yawns and seem very old hat - eg are barboys interested in relationships with farangs or only their wallets? - were discussed endlessly. There were some great characters, including favourites of mine like the crazy-hilarious, stream-of-consciousness LOLA and the sharply humorous George, who once described himself as 'a cross between Benny Hill and Margaret Thatcher'. It was no 'golden age' as some like to imagine - there was plenty of bitching and squabbling right from the outset, as indeed how could it have been any different on a board primarily for a bunch of gay sex tourists? But it certainly felt like it was more fun. just from the novelty of it. Such was the technical naivety that posters on the DN board didn't even have passwords. Anyone could sign in and pretend to be someone else. That happened, but on nothing like what would be the scale if such a loophole existed in these more savvy times.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

frequent (February 25th, 2018), Smiles (February 25th, 2018)

Liked

You do realise that he was known as Neil The Cunt to two entirely disparate sections of the Pattaya sex scene for entirely different reasons?

He had more fists up him than Sooty, Lamb Chop, Kermit and Fozzy combined

Liked

SG, is that disparate or desperate?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Snotface
    There were some great characters, including favourites of mine like the crazy-hilarious, stream-of-consciousness LOLA
    Indeed, I do miss LOLA and his wicked Cosmic Giggle.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

See here: Gay Thailand forums, blogs, guides, encounters and magazines
    http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/201...ncounters.html
    for a comprehensive list.

15. User who gave Like to post:

francois (February 26th, 2018)