Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Bye Bye Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by kittyboy View Post
    I could be wrong on the number of years. My spouse is managing the visa/citizenship process.
    And yes the liar in chief of the USA and his cronies could change the US immigration rules and change our plans. As I have stated, when I retire - I go back and forth about living in SE Asian or someplace else.
    Three years is correct as indicated in the link to USCIS provided by the other poster above. If not married to a US citizen, then 5 years residence is required before applying for citizenship.

The only thing that Trump says he will maintain is the visa availability for spouse and minor children of US citizens. Everyone else will be eliminated if he succeeds in ending chain migration and the visa lottery. All part of his campaign to Make America White Again.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Well, if you're going to debate with me, you can't use images.
    "debate"? I'm merely fact-checking, something you're quite capable of doing for yourself

Liked

While you're in a "fact checking" mood you might like to check out these facts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A8se-majest%C3%A9

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    While you're in a "fact checking" mood you might like to check out these facts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A8se-majest%C3%A9
    Ah yes, you're referring of course to your own act of LM by holding that it was not apposite for The Queen (your Queen, by the way) to send her regular emissary to a royal funeral in Thailand

Liked

My husband and dogs. Plus living in a Buddhist society is simply far superior to a Western country, at least for myself.
    Matt's the only Buddhist I know with a share portfolio and BitCoin

and yeah it's been "simple" for you

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    When looking at potential retirement destinations, how much do you consider the ease with family members could visit? It would be pretty important to me.
    I'd only consider places where it's very difficult for the family to visit, we all get on better that way

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (February 19th, 2018), poshglasgow (March 9th, 2018)

Liked

Q

If you don't mind me asking, what VISA reasons? Are you going to try and get him US citizenship? If so, then 5 years seems awfully fast, at least compared to Canada.

I could probably get Leo permanent residency status to Canada, but it'd be a 2 - 3 year process. Don't think I will bother, as PR status requires us to reside in Canada 2 out of every 5 years, and I can't promise we'll do that. If we don't, the PR status get voided.

Then after gaining PR status, and after residing in Canada for another 5 years, he can apply for citizenship, but that's probably another 2 year process (not sure). That means all in, we'd be looking at a 10 year process to obtain him Canadian citizenship.
    you really worrying about a 10 year visa process for Leo? last week your "relationship" was almost finished... get him into a western country and how do you long do you reckon before he's got another bf and kicked you to the kerb?

Liked

You're not really living up to your name mr.giggles.

Read the relevant section again Frequent. Only when you understand it (fully) will you be able to move on.

Banned
    Liked

“Read the relevant section again Frequent. Only when you understand it (fully) will you be able to move on.” Move on from rubbing your nose in your own ignorance? That’s merely a hobby, no need to “move on”. Like all hobbies I indulge in it whenever the opportunity arises

Liked

If you say so.