Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A big personal favour

Liked

A big personal favour

I need someone with access to Cambodia news sources. I will PM details if you can help.

Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: A big personal favour

I think it would be more helpful if you could elaborate on what you mean by "Cambodia news sources"?

I don't mean to be facetious but if it's official or mainstream news, perhaps you could start off with Google.

Liked

If google doesn't work, there is a Khmer440 forum. No idea how active it is these days.

My first google search listed several newspapers. The first one had a web site in English. I didn't go any further.

I believe Cambodia is one of those countries where the newspapers should not be too critical of the government, rather like (for example), Russia or China. Same leader for decades.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    I believe Cambodia is one of those countries where the newspapers should not be too critical of the government, rather like (for example), Russia or China.
    I think you're missing the elephant in the room and no, I don't mean Singapore!

Liked

Of course I can access online English language news sites, I was hoping someone there could access local Cambodian media.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    I think you're missing the elephant in the room and no, I don't mean Singapore!
    Not sure which elephant you mean.
    If Thailand, well certainly the English newspapers I recently read were openly criticizing the government.

As for accessing Khmer media, presumably written in Khmer ? Well, take the baht bus down to Jomtien, find a Cambodian who speaks good English & pay him.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Not sure which elephant you mean.
    If Thailand, well certainly the English newspapers I recently read were openly criticizing the government.
    It depends on how broadly you define the term government in the local context.

As for accessing Khmer media, presumably written in Khmer ? Well, take the baht bus down to Jomtien, find a Cambodian who speaks good English & pay him.
    If the Khmer news sources are available online, then you don't need to be physically there to source them. Based on what I've seen of Cambodian, Burmese and other foreign workers in my country, they mainly access news from home online on their smartphones. One can make a Khmer friend or Khmer-speaking friend online and ask them to help or perhaps engage one of those online pay-per-hour freelancers who do blogging, reporting, research work, etc. Anyway, I'm not going to speculate or make further suggestions without elaboration from the OP as to what he's looking for (that is if he wishes to do so).

Liked

What type of news subject are you looking for? A quick search on Youtube brings up some local news casts, if that helps any. Obviously, you'll need to find a Cambodian to translate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i95BetIclKQ

q

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    Of course I can access online English language news sites, I was hoping someone there could access local Cambodian media.
    Hey - I would echo the comment of a previous poster. Khmer440 - the speakeasy forum is probably your best or at least a better source for information on Cambodia.

I have been a member of Khmer440 for 7-8 years. Many members of the board are active posters. The regular posters are long term residents of Cambodia and have lots of information they can and do share.

If I can make a suggestion - Post on Khmer440 the specific information you need or want. You will probably get lots of grief and snarky comments mixed in with some very helpful advice.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 27th, 2018), joe552 (January 24th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Isn’t Joe after Cambodian news in Khmer?