Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Incorrect change and such like.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Incorrect change and such like.

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Jellybean. It is one of life's sad truisms that a much loved and well used item such as a pair of cargo shorts, sunglasses, trainers, belt bag etc is almost impossible to replace with something one loves as much, once it's time is up.

And yet that seems to be very much a "Man" thing as women don't seem to share our joy in finding something and loving it and holding on to it dearly until it literally falls apart and even then we revert to duct tape and staples and just about any holding together device known to man just to get a few last weeks or months out of the thing. Then once it goes and we have to replace it we begrudgingly buy a replacement, but of course HATE it and it's NEVER as good as the old thing - until about 6 weeks later when it starts to grow on us and the cycle then simply repeats until the next time. And yes women find this quite strange about mens behaviour apparently - you'd think they'd find it endearing and a sign that we'd want to hold on to them too in such a manner - but alas with most men that rarely turns out to be true and we'd rather keep our favourite wallet over a woman ANYDAY - and I'm guessing that even applies to most of our straight male friends too ! :-)

2. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (January 25th, 2018)

Liked

My first belt bag lasted about 18 years. Replaced last year and the stitching on the new one is already starting to go.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    You should have kept them. You'd be looking very fashionable indeed.

These days the more rips and tears, the more people seem willing to pay.
    Aye . . . perhaps 50 years ago a447, but today? You’ve met me, so you’ll understand when I say I would probably look like a down on his uppers, lo-so, fa-ràng tramp if I walked around in ripped cargo pants these days . . . 555!

Liked

When holidaying in Thailand most nights I was quite tipsy. I could not recall that I was short changed and I was handing over (still doing now) 1000 baht notes quite often as I need to keep 100 baht notes for tipping now and then.

I did get stolen on a few occassions (one instance 100% affirmative as the hotel security had stepped in; a few other instances while I was very sure but others could argue non-conclusive).

I do however tend to overtip quite often but if I could afford at that particular point in time I am happy.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    My first belt bag lasted about 18 years. Replaced last year and the stitching on the new one is already starting to go.
    What is a belt bag? Is that the English equivalent of an Americans Fanny pack?
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Colmx. Yes. A smallish pouch that clips around your waist. Very useful and most of them have several pockets including one at the back that is impossible to open without actually taking it off. Good for large denominations or a wallet. During a journey I carry everything in there that I would need if something happened. Cash, credit card, passport, flight confirmation etc.

Liked

Many years ago in a now defunct Patong go-go I was given change for 500 when I'd paid with a 1000. I made a big fuss about it, but the waiter denied it and of course couldn't back down without losing face. I never went in there again. Since then, if I have to pay a bill of less than 500 with a 1000 note in a bar, I say '1000' to the waiter and make sure he understands I know what I've given him.

I naively fell for the same trick on my first ever trip to Bangkok about 20 years ago, paying a taxi fare of less than 100 with a 1000. As my destination was an upmarket hotel, I enlisted the help of the doorman who called the police. They swiftly arrived on a motocy, but ultimately nothing could be done because I couldn't state the serial number of the note. I chalked that one up to experience.

Most recently it happened to me about 3 months at a western branded supermarket in Pattaya. The checkout operator was a young lad. He didn't try to argue and I quickly got my change, but I didn't think it was accidental.

Liked

[Since then, if I have to pay a bill of less than 500 with a 1000 note in a bar, I say '1000' to the waiter and make sure he understands I know what I've given him.]

I do the same. It makes life so much easier. I always state the big not to the person and look them in the eye. Trust me it works. Also makes you know your not going mad and question yourself if you made a mistake! Too many crooks out there.

And if I have been given too much change, I will own up and let them know. It works both ways.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktouch View Post
    [Since then, if I have to pay a bill of less than 500 with a 1000 note in a bar, I say '1000' to the waiter and make sure he understands I know what I've given him.]

I do the same. It makes life so much easier. I always state the big not to the person and look them in the eye. Trust me it works. Also makes you know your not going mad and question yourself if you made a mistake! Too many crooks out there.

And if I have been given too much change, I will own up and let them know. It works both ways.
    Sorry above quote from Nathan B

Liked

In 2010 (?), a Thai friend took me to a gay disco (ICK in Ramkhamhaeng Soi 89/2, my first visit there, many more would follow over the years). I had run out of small money, so I paid for a coke with a 1000 THB note, and waited for change, and waited, and waited. My friend disappeared (days later contact was re-established, he said he was drunk and went home). At closing time, I asked staff where my friend is and where my change is. At that time I spoke no Thai, and I didn't even remember whom I gave the 1000 THB note, so everything was lost.

Only now, 8 years later, do I suddenly see a connection between me refusing to lend my friend 5000 THB for his rent, and his disappearance, and lack of change!

I will say it again: in places that are dimly lit or where you would have to wait for change always pay correct amount. At 7-Eleven counter and similar pay with 1000 THB notes.

12. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (April 9th, 2018)