Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel and accommodation

Liked

Travel and accommodation

This is about the boring bits of our holidays - the flights, airports, and accommodation. There's no sex involved.

I flew with Turkish Airlines for the first time. Dublin to Istanbul,then on to BKK. Flights were fine, but on the outbound trip, the wine service was lacking. I felt Istanbul was like a giant shopping mall with departure gates as add ons, and well hidden. On my return flights last night, crew were more free with the wine, so that's a plus. Planes are comfortable, didn't feel crowded. But I would be reluctant to go through Istanbul again. Compared to Dubai, it is a non starter.

I stayed at Yensabai Condo, rented through Pattaya Rent a Room (thanks gerefan for the recommendation). Absolutely no complaints about the room and at 835Bt per night, a good deal. And as I generally hang out in Sunee, it's only a 5 minute walk.

I had an embarrassing situation on my last morning, but that' for another post.

So it's a thumbs up for Turkish Air, but not Istanbul. And a definite yes to Yensabai Condo.

Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 23rd, 2018), dab69 (January 25th, 2018)

Liked

Re: Travel and accommodation

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    I felt Istanbul was like a giant shopping mall with departure gates as add ons, and well hidden.
    All major airports have been like that for at least 20+ years.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Sorry I didn’t get to meet you! But I was away from Pattaya most of the time you were here.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Hiding?

6. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (January 24th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    All major airports have been like that for at least 20+ years.
    The trend is getting worse, although not everywhere.

Bangkok airport is fine. Check in, security, passport control, then a few shops arranged at the side of the walk to the gates.

Go to somewhere like KLIA 2 & a major shopping centre seems to be deliberately placed between the rail terminal and the check in desks. On arrival, it's quite hard to find the way to the rail link.
    Places like Stansted force you to walk around a windy path through the shops between security and getting to the departure lounge. Which is cramped.

The new Heathrow T2 seems civilized, with no such obligation to go through any shops.

8. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (January 24th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

At least there are departure lounges with seats, unlike swampy! Or at least Ive never found one.

Liked

I guess I should add Turkish Airlines to my blacklist too based on poor service report above... I passed through Hamad International Airport in Doha on my way home last week. They call it Qatars 5 star Airport... but for me it was a complete kip... Yes, an upgrade on their previous U-Tapao like old airport... but it really fades in comparison to most major airports.

The addition of Harrods and a few other UK high street brands does not make it 5*

Incidentally don't go there looking to buy duty free alcohol either... I can get cheaper in my local off license in Dublin

In addition I will also never be flying Qatar airlines again either... The service was awful, boarding chaotic, plane quality inconsistent and food brutal.
    I do not consider a Thimble full of wine to be a "drink"
    I think if you want to get a few medicinal drinks to help you sleep... then you can't beat Emirates with their free flowing wine service
    Last edited by colmx; January 24th, 2018 at 05:35.
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

11. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (January 24th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

KLIA2 is quite dreadful; Swampy just reminds us why this place is called “Amazing Thailand”

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by colmx View Post
    I think if you want to get a few medicinal drinks to help you sleep... then you can't beat Emirates with their free flowing wine service
    Sorry to be slightly off topic. Flew with Emirated in business class (A380) on a business trip from London to Dubai last year. The business seat was so narrow (while the stowage area beside the seat was so big). Did not like that design and not sure how the big Europeans could fit in. I did not bother with alcohol drinks; way too sleepy.

Liked

WARNING: Arsenal red flashing light!!! .... my post a teeny weeny bit off topic.

Even worse, this post will probably be useless to European football hooligans like yourselves.
    I've been flying 'China Southern' for a couple of years and it has very very good metrics across the board.
    Excellent food and service, always on time (at least on my usage), some excellent Chinese dudes (staff!) eye candy to be had at times on the long leg, very good biz stop-over lounges in Guanjou and Vancouver.
    Better still, very good deals to be had for both Business and Premium Economy ... and China Southern has a superior PE in my opinion.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

15. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (January 25th, 2018), francois (January 25th, 2018)