List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite restaurants in Bangkok?

Banned
    Liked

Your favourite restaurants in Bangkok?

Need to organize a nice family meal. Looking for something good around Silom/Sathorn. I know about these places. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am not interested in *chains* like Sizzler ect.

- Gs (soi 4)
    - Spanish On 4
    - Smoking Pug
    - Mango Tree
    - Indigo (french place)

I really don't eat out enough!
    Thanks

2. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (January 14th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Re: Your favourite restaurants in Bangkok?

Quote Originally Posted by samebb View Post
    Need to organize a nice family meal. Looking for something good around Silom/Sathorn. I know about these places. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am not interested in *chains* like Sizzler ect.

- Gs (soi 4)
    - Spanish On 4
    - Smoking Pug
    - Mango Tree
    - Indigo (french place)

I really don't eat out enough!
    Thanks
    It depends what you mean by a "nice family meal" - is this family Thai, Western or what? Why anyone bothers with G's beats me. The owner is overly familiar with his regular diners; many of my friends simply refuse to go there any more. There's always Fork & Cork (formerly Sphinx) at the end of the same Soi. It might be worth investigating what's down the other end of Convent Rd opposite BNH; I had lunch at Coffee Club the other day but thought it way too expensive. There are some other restaurants close by that looked interesting; I've eaten at one or two I could recommend but don't recall their names. There's also the large Dean & Deluca next to Chong Nonsi BTS - don't bother with their squalid little shop on Silom. I can recommend the Chong Nonsi one

4. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (January 14th, 2018)

Liked

In Silom area I frequent Madrid restaurant in Patpong for their pizza and Sukiya for (don't even know the name, but is Japanese and it has rice, pork and cheese).

6. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (January 14th, 2018)

Liked

Smoking Pug has now moved to Lang Suan

I used to like Mango Tree but haven't been for years, it became very touristy and food fairly bland, these days I prefer Ruen Urai behind the Rose Hotel for Thai food (have some good set menus for groups) or Than Ying in a nice converted house in Soi Pramuan off Silom

for Thai seafood Somboon if you don't mind the plastic tables at the Surawong branch (sorry it is a chain, and I think the other branches are a bit more upmarket decor) or even Laem Charoen Seafood in Silom Complex (also a chain!)

if you want to try some great Lebanese and Indian then Al Saray in Silom or for French then Brasserie 9 has now moved from Asiatique to a much more convenient location in Soi Pipat with lots of parking, or for Italian Opus in Soi Pan off SIlom

you didn't specify a budget so some of these may be a bit beyond your idea of a "nice family meal" but it depends on how/what you order - particularly wine/drinks and what ambience you are looking for

bkkguy

Liked

Pappaya on Sala Deang 2 behind the Silom Complex and Bua restuarant at the north end of Convent near Silom Road are both pretty reliable mid-price Thai restuarants.

If you want to push the boat out:

Celadon is a classical style Thai restuarant within the Sukhothai hotel on South Sathorn. It has a spectacular setting among lotus ponds, tasteful Thai dancing, and great set menus (available on their web site).

Nahm, the famous modern Thai restaurant within the Metropolitan hotel, also on South Sathorn, is also very good and I can recommend the set menu. Again menus are on their web site.

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (January 14th, 2018), Oliver (January 14th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Oh Damn, I totally forgot about Madrid. Their pizza is great and I love the bar interior. Thanks!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan B View Post
    If you want to push the boat out:
    Celadon is a classical style Thai restuarant within the Sukhothai hotel on South Sathorn ...
    Nahm, the famous modern Thai restaurant within the Metropolitan hotel, also on South Sathorn,
    Saffron on 52nd floor at the Banyan Tree Hotel, also on South Sathorn ...
    Sra Bua by Kiin Kiin at Kempinski Hotel (rather expensive but spectacular - just got a Michelin star)
    Mezzaluna at the Dome (Lebua Hotel) - expensive too, but unbelievably tasty menu! Just got 2 Michelin stars
    Erawan Tea Room at Hyatt Erawan - modest or normal prices, but yummy Thai food

So much more if you don't mind the trip and the prices ...

Liked

Like Nathan B, I recommend for Bua. I've had my first Thai meal there on arrival for the past fifteen years and appreciate its reliable quality. Not for fine dining though. And well-placed for my next stop, Balcony, for my first Singha of the trip.

Liked

Alas the Mexican Bar on SilomĂ—Patpong corner is closed down and replaced by a bland something or other.
    It served 'Mexican' food, some Mexican beer, was tacky, never gave a 'checkbin' until the end, had a Philipino singing Latin songs, a few handsome/straight/slightly edgy barmen, more katoi waiters than you would expect and a row with one table or another over the bill was inevitable.
    I miss it.
    Old Bangkok is dying fast.

Liked

Some really great suggestions! Thanks fellows!