Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gippy Tummy

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Gippy Tummy

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    ...... and drink tap water everywhere in SEAsia without problems.
    But is that wise Christian as surely it's not so much about you perhaps building up a resistance to certain germs in the water perhaps ( which can happen of course) but more that there are such a wide variety and number of possible different germs that could be in the tap water there at any time that's the issue. I'm maybe wrong but I dont recall seeing many Thai's drinking the tap water with abandon ?? ( or I I wrong there ??) I certainly brush my teeth with the tap water there but I wouldn't like to be sitting down and drinking pint glasses full of the stuff everyday ( if that's what you're suggesting you do ??)

Liked

Yes, that's what I do.

"I dont recall seeing many Thai's drinking the tap water with abandon ?? ( or I I wrong there ??)"
    They don't. Even the poorest spend their little money on bottled water.

I once saw a dog drinking out of a sewer. If the dog can without getting sick, I can too!
    (Figuratively. I don't drink from sewer, but tap water is fine.)

Banned
    Liked

Eat local yogurt. Not imports, but locally made.

I have been doing this all over the world and was a great bit of advice from my mother who is also very well traveled.
    The concept is, yogurts are full of good bacteria, but local bacteria. It will allow your body to adjust.

You can get them at MaxValu. I assume 7-11 and Family Mart's also.

4. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (January 16th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    But is that wise Christian as surely it's not so much about you perhaps building up a resistance to certain germs in the water perhaps ( which can happen of course) but more that there are such a wide variety and number of possible different germs that could be in the tap water there at any time that's the issue. I'm maybe wrong but I dont recall seeing many Thai's drinking the tap water with abandon ?? ( or I I wrong there ??) I certainly brush my teeth with the tap water there but I wouldn't like to be sitting down and drinking pint glasses full of the stuff everyday ( if that's what you're suggesting you do ??)
    It's not the germs in the water you need to worry about. There are far more harmful things in Bangkok's drinking water that have seeped into old broken pipes from the surrounding area. Bangkoks water is perfectly drinkable at source, but old pipes make it very dangerous when it gets to some places in the city.

I used to use tap water for coffee in Bangkok, assuming boiling it was fine. After speaking at length with a Thai friend and him showing me info on this stuff, I quickly stopped!

All streets and condo have the water filter machines where you can get 1.5 liters of water for 1 Baht. Nobody in Thailand is really priced out of that. Stay safe!

6. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (January 16th, 2018)

Liked

Along a similar line to the yoghurt theme samebb, my first few trips I got sick, but on my latest one I took probiotic tablets. These ones specifically - https://www.healthpost.co.nz/ethical...-enihgo-g.html - but there are many brands / varieties available. Not sure if it was just a coincidence, but I didn't get sick that trip, so will continue to take them on future trips.

Liked

I once saw a dog drinking out of a sewer. If the dog can without getting sick, I can too!
    (Figuratively. I don't drink from sewer, but tap water is fine.)
    Of all the laws of science, Darwin's Law is by far my favorite.

One thing I've learned from traveling over the years is to pay more attention to my hands, with respect to getting sick.In a hot and humid environment like Thailand, I am forever wiping sweat from my eyes, my nose and mouth and even my ears...when a big drop rolls into the ear canal. I'm using handrails, handles in the BTS / MRT, door handles, dirty baht...so many surfaces shared by other folks who may or may not wash their hands. Using a hand sanitizer and frequently washing the hands thoroughly with soap has worked well in Thailand, other tropical countries and here through flu season, if that helps any.

Surfcrest

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Dogs also of course have been known to eat their own shit to it is believed obtain missing nutrients so can we assume then Christian that by your measure you'd be ok doing THAT then too ? Actually dont bother answering that as with you one really couldn't be sure of the probably reply perhaps !

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest View Post
    Of all the laws of science, Darwin's Law is by far my favorite.

One thing I've learned from traveling over the years is to pay more attention to my hands, with respect to getting sick.In a hot and humid environment like Thailand, I am forever wiping sweat from my eyes, my nose and mouth and even my ears...when a big drop rolls into the ear canal. I'm using handrails, handles in the BTS / MRT, door handles, dirty baht...so many surfaces shared by other folks who may or may not wash their hands. Using a hand sanitizer and frequently washing the hands thoroughly with soap has worked well in Thailand, other tropical countries and here through flu season, if that helps any.

Surfcrest
    Hand washing is half the battle...an ounce of prevention better than a ton of cure.
    Thais are wise; they Wai and rarely shake hands.

11. User who gave Like to post:

Surfcrest (January 17th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by FarangRuMak View Post
    Hand washing is half the battle...an ounce of prevention better than a ton of cure.
    Thais are wise; they Wai and rarely shake hands.
    That’s got nothing to do with personal hygiene and everything to do with the traditional lack of physical contact between the sexes. It wasn’t that long ago even in Bangkok for a far more common sight of same sex handholding and arms around shoulders than it is today

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest View Post
    Modern medicine points to the overly hygenic, especially parents, as being the major cause of afflictions such as asthma and their increasing prevalence. The only time I ever wash my hands after urinating is when I'm using a public lavatory and there are guys around cruising. Washing my hands merely helps to divert attention or fill in time, but it has nothing to do with hygiene. In saunas, beats and other places where casual and anonymous sex takes place - I'm thinking a447's favourite place, the Golden Cock for example - no-one washes their cock let alone their hands between bouts of activity. After have a shit - certainly. Otherwise - nah
    Last edited by frequent; January 17th, 2018 at 11:11.