List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for tailors in Bangkok?

Liked

Re: Recommendations for tailors in Bangkok?

If you wish to see his machine and cutting table walk through the sois on the left behind Tuek Com.
    When it's hot you can see a lot of shirtless male tailors glistening with sweat and hard at it.

2. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (February 19th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lukylok View Post
    Don't compare apples and pears !

This maybe old but is still true

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...ng-in-thailand

Some facts : you need 3 m cloth to make a suit, and good cloth comes from Italy, UK, and maybe Japan. And it's expensive.
    A hand made jacket requires 24 hours work (London tailors log book). Making a pattern takes 2-3 hours ....

The real cutter needs to see you. Measurement is not enough to know the shape of the body. Does he make a pattern for you or merely adapt a ready made.
    Instead of asking to see a machine, ask to see the cutter and his cutting table. Not the salesman who makes a lot of noise around you.

Nowadays the modern machines make a better job than most of the "tailors".
    But they are frightfully expensive, and you must make a lot of suits to amortize them.

Good luck !
    Haven't come across the word 'amortize'.
    Meaning/etymology please.
    Thanks.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by FarangRuMak View Post
    Haven't come across the word 'amortize'.
    Meaning/etymology please.
    Thanks.
    Have you come across the Internet yet?

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (January 11th, 2018), christianpfc (January 13th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Once, in a moment of uncontrollable excitement, he came across the keyboard

7. User who gave Like to post:

dab69 (February 20th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Well, obviously not.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by FarangRuMak View Post
    Well, obviously not.
    When you do you'll find there's a nifty little invention called a "Search tool" (No, I'm not trying to emulate an a447 post). The most popular one is called "Google". If you use Google you can find out what any word means, not just "amortize"

10. User who gave Like to post:

BenCH (January 11th, 2018)

Liked

Thanks. I'll check it out.
    I'd love to use this internet thing to post here but I haven't figured out how yet.

Liked

Back on track - I took a look at the label on my best fitting Thai suit and it was from Yes Boss across the main road from BT

Liked

I have resurrected this topic from only two years ago and, as far as I can see, there are two good recommendations for a tailor in Bangkok, one from Magnum and one from ggobob.

Last year, I was invited to attend a wedding in June 2020. Despite my best efforts to avoid having to attend, I’m afraid they came to nought after the mother of the bride-to-be paid me an unannounced visit and kind of made me an offer I couldn’t refuse! [Gulp!] So, like it or lump it, I’m going! Quite clearly I cannot turn up in jeans and a T-shirt, oh, no, that wouldn’t do at all, so a new suit is required.

Unfortunately, the suits I own and used to wear when I was last in gainful employment no longer fit me. Yet, a forlorn hope that one day I may well fit back into them prevents me from disposing of them. Sadly, age, too much of a sedentary lifestyle, perhaps too many visits to Starbucks and not nearly enough exercise have all taken their toll on my ever expanding waistline.

In an effort to turn back the weight gain I have been attending the gym at my Bangkok condo six days a week for the last month. And while in Pattaya last week I also started swimming again in addition to going to jetts 24 hour fitness, a gym in which my hotel has an arrangement for their guests. But this weight loss malarkey is a slow business! But even a small reduction in my waistline would be welcome so I shall wait a few more weeks and see if all this effort has produced any positive results.

When I lived in Hua Hin, I bought several beautifully made-to-measure short-sleeve shirts and one suit, which were all very satisfactory. And, if I'm remembering correctly, not too expensive – most certainly we are not talking Savile Row prices! I have however never visited a tailor here in Bangkok, although when in the Sukhumvit/ Nana area, I have sometimes been accosted on the pavement (sidewalk) and asked to step in and feel the quality of their merchandise.

I wondered if anyone has any recent personal experience of using a tailor in Bangkok to purchase a made-to-measure, good quality, but not too expensive, suit and is able to recommend such an establishment to me. In the absence of any up to date advice, I’ll probably pop across to Nana and Surawong and see if both businesses recommended by Magnum and ggobob are still trading and report back on my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Rajawongse Clothier near Nana Station is just excellent. I have many suits and a lot of shirts and I love them all. I wouldn't buy any regular suits (like Boss, Joop, ...) again. One suit is now around 14.000 Baht. Of course I would pay more for it, the quality and style are just fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggobob View Post
    I've used Excelsior Tailors several times over the past few years - located in the lobby area of the Siam Heritage Hotel on Surawong. I've had shirts and trousers made there as well as a couple of sport jackets and a suit on this last trip. Last year, I mentioned I'd like to get some corduroy trousers made. They are not not always available where I live and if found they never fit. Excelsior found the material in several colors and made up three pairs for less than one badly fitting one would be at home.

Caution based on experience. Make sure you allow time for at least one fitting and think about the style you want - fitting gives a chacge to see if room is available for belly amplification, etc. Don't rush the fitting, if it's a shirt move your arms around, button the collar, etc; if it's a jacket, check how it fits around the neck, do the shoulders square?, etc.

Think about what style you like, bring a photo from a magazine if you see something you like. Tailors in Bangkok are copyists not artists.

14. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (February 19th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post

Unfortunately, the suits I own and used to wear when I was last in gainful employment no longer fit me. Yet, a forlorn hope that one day I may well fit back into them prevents me from disposing of them. Sadly, age, too much of a sedentary lifestyle, perhaps too many visits to Starbucks and not nearly enough exercise have all taken their toll on my ever expanding waistline.

In an effort to turn back the weight gain I have been attending the gym at my Bangkok condo six days a week for the last month. And while in Pattaya last week I also started swimming again in addition to going to jetts 24 hour fitness, a gym in which my hotel has an arrangement for their guests. But this weight loss malarkey is a slow business! But even a small reduction in my waistline would be welcome so I shall wait a few more weeks and see if all this effort has produced any positive results.

Before you step into any tailor to have a good feel of their merchandise and appraisal of their workmen, I would humbly suggest to give the intermittent fasting regime a serious try. Eat and drink whatever you want between 9am and 6pm, refrain from adding additional calories after your last meal around 6pm so as to have about 14 hours or more of abstinence before your next breakfast. Give it a try for 30 consecutive days , and you'll begin to notice that all those 'old' clothes will fit your new figure rather nicely. Don't worry about loss of libido. Afternoon sex will never be the same again. Good luck.

16. 2 Users gave Like to post:

dab69 (February 20th, 2020), Jellybean (February 19th, 2020)