List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for tailors in Bangkok?

Liked

Recommendations for tailors in Bangkok?

During the past year or so, I have been watching my diet and working out at a gym with a hot coach.

As a result, I have lost about 30 kilos, and my old body is in great shape.

I need some more new clothes. Since I will be visiting Bangkok next week, I might as well have them made there.

Can anyone recommend a great tailor in the Suriwong/Silom area?

Years ago, I had a lot of clothing made at Jackie's Tailor Shop (name?] which was run by an Indian family and was near Soi Twilight.
    That shop has long closed....

Liked

Re: Recommendations for tailors in Bangkok?

I can't comment on the Bangkok Tailor Shops run by the Indians but the fashion shops in Pattaya all use the same Thai tailors as far as I can see.
    Many of these small workshops are clustered in the narrow sois behind Tuk Com.
    Thus there can't be much difference in quality between the various high street outlets.
    I have one friend who buys quite a lot of stuff directly from the 'sweatshops'.

Liked

They may well all use the same tailors (debatable) but they certainly vary in making tbe measurements !!

I have had suits which were as tight as strait-jackets (apposite some may say) and others which were like a tent.

Liked

Rajawongse Clothier near Nana Station is just excellent. I have many suits and a lot of shirts and I love them all. I wouldn't buy any regular suits (like Boss, Joop, ...) again. One suit is now around 14.000 Baht. Of course I would pay more for it, the quality and style are just fantastic.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    They may well all use the same tailors (debatable) but they certainly vary in making tbe measurements !!

I have had suits which were as tight as strait-jackets (apposite some may say) and others which were like a tent.
    I agree about the measurements; I was given a lovely suit except he ignored my explanation that my abdomen rises and falls with the beer-drinking seasons.
    Right now it's a bit like a strait jacket so it doesn't get out a lot.
    The post-christmas/new year diet will give it a short time in the sun.
    I'm convinced that the high st shops use the same tailors.
    A friend went to a few and told them he would buy if they could show him 1 sewing machine-not one could.
    Of course they might supply different quality fabrics.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by FarangRuMak View Post
    I agree about the measurements; I was given a lovely suit except he ignored my explanation that my abdomen rises and falls with the beer-drinking seasons.
    Did he ask about which side you dress? https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/dress-left-right/

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Rajawongse Clothier near Nana Station is just excellent. I have many suits and a lot of shirts and I love them all. I wouldn't buy any regular suits (like Boss, Joop, ...) again. One suit is now around 14.000 Baht. Of course I would pay more for it, the quality and style are just fantastic.
    Thank's for the tip.
    As with the boys a report based on personal experience is best.
    By mistakes we learn but you can't beat learning by other people's mistakes.

Liked

I've used Excelsior Tailors several times over the past few years - located in the lobby area of the Siam Heritage Hotel on Surawong. I've had shirts and trousers made there as well as a couple of sport jackets and a suit on this last trip. Last year, I mentioned I'd like to get some corduroy trousers made. They are not not always available where I live and if found they never fit. Excelsior found the material in several colors and made up three pairs for less than one badly fitting one would be at home.

Caution based on experience. Make sure you allow time for at least one fitting and think about the style you want - fitting gives a chacge to see if room is available for belly amplification, etc. Don't rush the fitting, if it's a shirt move your arms around, button the collar, etc; if it's a jacket, check how it fits around the neck, do the shoulders square?, etc.

Think about what style you like, bring a photo from a magazine if you see something you like. Tailors in Bangkok are copyists not artists.

Liked

Most of the 'artists' I see around Pattaya are the same....
    ....very strong in the copy line.
    Also very formulaic if that's a word and if it isn't you know what I mean.
    The artist in the coffee shop/bar/art shop in Jomtien Complex has a few nice originals on show I have to say.

Liked

Don't compare apples and pears !

This maybe old but is still true

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...ng-in-thailand

Some facts : you need 3 m cloth to make a suit, and good cloth comes from Italy, UK, and maybe Japan. And it's expensive.
    A hand made jacket requires 24 hours work (London tailors log book). Making a pattern takes 2-3 hours ....

The real cutter needs to see you. Measurement is not enough to know the shape of the body. Does he make a pattern for you or merely adapt a ready made.
    Instead of asking to see a machine, ask to see the cutter and his cutting table. Not the salesman who makes a lot of noise around you.

Nowadays the modern machines make a better job than most of the "tailors".
    But they are frightfully expensive, and you must make a lot of suits to amortize them.

Good luck !