Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bangkok's tallest skyscraper: MahaNakorn

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Bangkok's tallest skyscraper: MahaNakorn

Anyone heard of this this new 77-level high residential (plus retail) building development in Bangkok? It's called MahaNakorn. It's due for completion 2012. Apparently it will be Thailand's tallest building. Looks awesome. It will be in the Sathorn/Silom area beside Chong Nonsi Station (near the Sofitel Silom).

I've been wondering what kind of place I'd get if I ever bought a place in Bangkok. I think if I ever commit to a Thai guy as a life partner, I will need to get a place in Bangkok, either as a drop pad or somewhere to live full time. He'll want to be near his family and such. All this is bloody long time away yet but it's nice to dream ahead... :happy7:

I love the design and the height. Think of the views. Not so sure about the location. Think I'd prefer a place closer to Sukhumvit, Lumpini or Lang Suan.

Here is the website: http://www.maha-nakhon.com/

Here are some Cambodians complaining about the bloody Thais LOL:
    The thai had done it again. But this time they use our great ancient Khmer empire name MohaNokor to name their stupid tallest building.

http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/lofiver ... 12393.html
    Here is a video:
    [youtube:39w1l7lu]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqV7_JgKLeY[/youtube:39w1l7lu]

Pretty pictures:

Re: Bangkok's tallest skyscraper: MahaNakorn

It's almost right next door to gay budget hotel Om Yim Lodge. Foundation work should be about finished by now; somehow completion by 2012 sounds a little optimistic.
    If you buy an apartment on the north side facing Silom Road, you'll have wonderful views of an old cemetery.

Liked

it's a Ritz-Carlton property. They have ads on the Bangkok Post's website all the time. Fairly pricey I believe.

apparently residences set for completion 2013
    http://www.maha-nakhon.com/news/Release ... 010ENG.pdf

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by macaroni21
    It's almost right next door to gay budget hotel Om Yim Lodge. Foundation work should be about finished by now; somehow completion by 2012 sounds a little optimistic.
    If you buy an apartment on the north side facing Silom Road, you'll have wonderful views of an old cemetery.
    I was at Om Yim in october and it right next to there , at least when up and running this building will do good for Om yim least you can get the room on that side with a window and have something to look at than the old chinese cemetry .
    Also the same said for Sathron Inn this is right next to it ,i will be staying there in just over 2 weeks time so it give me a veiw on what there doing ATM

Liked

Supposedly Bangkok is sinking 2-5cm/year, one estimate is that it will be submerged by 2030. I'm not sure I would want to buy in Bangkok, just yet.

Bangkok has been referred to as the 'Venice of the East', maybe they'll even get their very own 77 story "Leaning Tower of Bangkok",

http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/none/bangk ... cktabs_2=1

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/thai ... -sinking-1

http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=87715

It is an awesome looking building and I wish them luck with it.

Liked

Nice building. Too modern for me, but nice.

That, and I'd be hesitant about the floor to ceiling windows. I remember moving into the condo in downtown Vancouver, thinking floor to ceiling windows were awesome. Come summer, I didn't think that anymore. Then again, I guess the condo didn't have air conditioning either.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The design of the building looks awesome and with that kind of elevation the views will be sweet...

It would be nice if it were located on the Northern side of Lumpini Park though. That way you get views over Lumpini Park with the Silom skyline in the background and you are also easy walking distance to all the best amenities at Lumpini/Siam Square/Central World.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroni21
    I think you'll see other stuff if you're 50-60-70 floors up...

Quote Originally Posted by soi_toi
    Supposedly Bangkok is sinking 2-5cm/year, one estimate is that it will be submerged by 2030. I'm not sure I would want to buy in Bangkok, just yet.
    That's ok because everything is relative right? So as long as all the other buildings are sinking at the same rate... :P

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    That, and I'd be hesitant about the floor to ceiling windows. I remember moving into the condo in downtown Vancouver, thinking floor to ceiling windows were awesome. Come summer, I didn't think that anymore. Then again, I guess the condo didn't have air conditioning either.
    I think floor to ceiling windows are the only way to go. Lets in maximum natural light and you get the most of the view. Natural light and "aspect" are the most important things for making a good living space inside.

The thing with floor to ceiling windows is you must have (1) filter blinds, which filter out most of the light but still let you see out when it is really bright [good for privacy too] and (2) good solid blinds to black out everything when you want to. I had filter blinds put in my office. Made a huge difference. When it's bright we can still get natural light but none of the glare.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    I think floor to ceiling windows are the only way to go. Lets in maximum natural light and you get the most of the view. Natural light and "aspect" are the most important things for making a good living space inside.

The thing with floor to ceiling windows is you must have (1) filter blinds, which filter out most of the light but still let you see out when it is really bright [good for privacy too] and (2) good solid blinds to black out everything when you want to.
    Ohhh, wasn't due to the lighting, but just the fact the place turned into a bloody oven. Us Canadians aren't big on air conditioners though, so I guess you wouldn't have to worry about that in Bangkok.

Liked: 1

Well i dont know how this building will be complete in 2012 ,i am staying at Sathorn inn now and from my balcony i can see they are just putting in the footings .id say 10 to 12 metres deep.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    It would be nice if it were located on the Northern side of Lumpini Park though. That way you get views over Lumpini Park with the Silom skyline in the background and you are also easy walking distance to all the best amenities at Lumpini/Siam Square/Central World.
    Funny how I said this a while back. Now they've actually started construction on a massive new luxury apartment building on the Northern side of Lumpini Park: gay-thailand-f9/185-ratchadamri-apartments-bangkok-sexy-t21201.html

Quote Originally Posted by gra46
    Well i dont know how this building will be complete in 2012 ,i am staying at Sathorn inn now and from my balcony i can see they are just putting in the footings .id say 10 to 12 metres deep.
    Ah well... it'll still be completed before they even lay the foundation for the Ocean1 Tower in Pattaya, which people were flogging in futility for a few years. :rolling: