Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smartphones

Liked

Smartphones

When mobile phones first became popular back in the day, I always said they were unnecessary and for poseurs. Of course, eventually I had to give in, and was given an old Nokia by a friend who was upgrading.

Now here we are with smartphones. I can see the benefits of basically having your laptop in your pocket (or handbag). The cost puts me off, considering the amount I would use it. So how long do you think I can resist? I'm one of the few people I know who doesn't have one.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Re: Smartphones

if you are not a power user demanding the top speed and huge memory of the flagship models then there are many OK mobile phones available in Bangkok for less than 10,000 Baht, indeed even some less than 5,000 Baht - some of the models may not be available back home and may not have international warranty but should support your home networks - but check to make sure

bkkguy

Liked

Thanks, bkkguy,, but I'm not yet tempted to buy one.

Banned
    Liked

If you don't need one, don't get one. I hate mine but it has become a tool I need.
    I only started using one 4 years ago when I started traveling. It became a must-have tool for work and also moving around in new places.
    Prior to that in the UK, I HAD one (we had a business contract with Apple for employee handsets). It was a total waste of money as mine was a glorified alarm clock and spent weeks sitting on my bed stand.

The trend of people living on these smartphones, spending hours a day on social media is, in my view, unhealthy. Despite spending a lot of time on computers myself, that is for working.

I know that when I leave the house, the phone spends 95% of the time in my pocket. Only used really to pick up important messages, look at google maps or grab an UBER/Grab.

As for expense, they can be very cheap in Bangkok. Entry level Samsungs (which are very good) start at 6,000 Baht. I believe it's the A5? I bought a boy one, he loved it. The Oppo's and Vivo's are also cheap and very good android devices.

I myself got sucked into the whole commercial "Top of the line" shit. In the last 20 or so months I have had 1 Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge stolen, and one blow up while sitting in HotMale! Insurance is a life-saver.

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 4th, 2018), joe552 (January 3rd, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by samebb View Post
    If you don't need one, don't get one. I hate mine but it has become a tool I need.
    I only started using one 4 years ago when I started traveling. It became a must-have tool for work and also moving around in new places.
    Prior to that in the UK, I HAD one (we had a business contract with Apple for employee handsets). It was a total waste of money as mine was a glorified alarm clock and spent weeks sitting on my bed stand.
    As a general rule (and SameBareBack is a clear example) most smartphones are used by really dumb people who, frankly, have no idea how they can use their phone to increase their effectiveness in their personal life and their productivity at work

Forum's veteran
    Liked

THat must be a VERY general rule as with the exception of my 80 something year old mother everyone I know absolutely uses their phones for 100 and 1 different things that ( its felt) enhances their lives. Hell EVEN my mother sits on Facebook, Instagram, video calling, instant messaging, whatsapp and dear knows what else and does much to my surprise ACTUALLY use her phone and it’s apps constructively and usefully and she’d be pissed if anyone suggested we remove those things from her now. ( even though I do have to continually remind her that not EVERYTHING she reads online is either true OR must be immediately forwarded on to me “just in case I hadn’t seen it” !!! Grrrr

Liked

I send a few texts a week from my mobile. I don't take calls on it 'cos the sound is shite. That might change when I get my hearing aids. But I honestly don't need to have a smartphone AND a laptop/

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    I send a few texts a week from my mobile. I don't take calls on it 'cos the sound is shite. That might change when I get my hearing aids. But I honestly don't need to have a smartphone AND a laptop/
    Exactly. If a person is sat on a computer all day working (does everything a smartphone does and more), it's likely that when not working, a screen is the last thing you want to look at. Would rather talk to a handsome face personally.

10. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 4th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    THat must be a VERY general rule as with the exception of my 80 something year old mother everyone I know absolutely uses their phones for 100 and 1 different things that ( its felt) enhances their lives. Hell EVEN my mother sits on Facebook, Instagram, video calling, instant messaging, whatsapp and dear knows what else and does much to my surprise ACTUALLY use her phone and it’s apps constructively and usefully and she’d be pissed if anyone suggested we remove those things from her now. ( even though I do have to continually remind her that not EVERYTHING she reads online is either true OR must be immediately forwarded on to me “just in case I hadn’t seen it” !!! Grrrr
    With many elderly people suffering from lonelyness in the west I think these outlets can help a great deal. I am certain it does with my grandfather.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yes you’re absolutely right there and that’s half the reason we’ve encouraged rather than discouraged my mum in her “learning” of all things econnected, as we’re award that no matter how much we might try or want to be about with her we do all need to work and we also have our own lives and stuff getting on with too and I’m sure there are times were she feels lonely. However by using all her Apps and is all inter messaging and facebooking and video conferencing and things it greatly increases the interaction we all have with her and without that I’m sure her life wouldn’t be as full as it is ( she makes it).

It’s also allowed her to join various OAP Chat rooms and boards ( and god knows what else that none of us know about too) and that’s been great for keeping her occupied and her mind busy. It’s also hilarious when I arrive and she tells me about the latest “dirty old man” trying to chat her up in some OAP chat board ( or at least that’s what she SAYS it is !! :-)

Either way, you’re right, she’d really miss her phones, tablets ( all 3 of them !) and her laptop if she hadn’t of been given them.