Forum's veteran
    Liked

Poll :Traveler checks or cash?

Liked

Re: Poll :Traveler checks or cash?

Traveller's checks still exist? Why?

Liked

I agree with Matt - I thought they disappeared years ago. I use a mix of cash and my debit card.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I used travelers checks maybe once. I have noticed at some exchange (Boystown) offering a slightly higher conversion for travelers checks. But it is a little worrisome arriving with a wallet fat with fresh large bills. Credit card offered a PIN # for cash advance but I worry about that also. Have too many passwords/PINs to remember already.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Cash is King. By far the cheapest. Put it straight into your Thai bank account after changing it

6. User who gave Like to post:

goji (January 4th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    I agree with Matt - I thought they disappeared years ago. I use a mix of cash and my debit card.
    I'm sure you're already aware Joe but as you've mentioned that cash is tight for you for god sake dont be using that debit card unless you have too as it's an expensive way of getting cash in your hand when overseas as you could end up paying TWO banks fees and get a shitty exchange rate into the bargain if you're not careful ( and even if you ARE careful).

In the UK at least the limit for carrying undeclared cash out of the Country is about £10k so I find that an envelope of hard cash carried in the bottom of my HAND luggage and then stuck into the safe on arrival at my hotel always works for me ( assuming you're staying in reasonably safe accomodation that is of course), but so far (touch wood) I've had no problems doing that and it means I dont have to worry about finding the "right brand" of ATM, nor remember any PIN numbers or worry about the bloody bank stopping my card for no absolutely no apparent reason thus screwing me up on a night out ( all of which has happened before!). when I DID use to use my card/s any time I came home I cringed when I added up the various different card charges, which sometimes totally to a few hundred quid when all added together !

Liked

Thanks, NIrish. I'll have my debit card purely as an emergency measure. I don't usually bring €10k on my holidays (I wish), but I'm careful in terms of security in the room. I'm staying at Yensabai Condo, so expect it to be ok, but I take nothing for granted. Twice my card has been stopped by my bank - it was my own fault, I forgot to tell them I was going away, but it's a pain in the arse. I tend to stash it in the safe if it is fixed down. If it's not, I'll hide it in various places around the room. Of course, this opens up the possibility of me forgetting where I've put it all.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Banned
    Liked

While cash might be king for short trips, for longer trips it's probably unwise or impossible with immigration restrictions. For longer trips, here are the options I have used and know others use also to save loosing money on stupid bank charges.

The smartest thing to do is come in on a 2-month SETV (single entry tourist visa) and setup and Thai Bank account. You can then wire money even before you arrive, scoring on times with good exchange rates if you are really smart. This works for all nationalities, pretty much...

For Americans, I know a number of people that use Charles Schwab. They give you free ATM withdrawals and even refund foreign bank charges, not bad..

For Brits, check out a new banking app called Revolut. You can load this app with money from your UK bank, by card or bank transfer. You do not get charged for ATM withrawals and they DO NOT fuck you on exchange rates. They give you exact, real time rates. This app is also very secure. You can disable your cards when not using them, and get notified immediatly via notification on your phone of any account activity. If you loose your card, no worries. They post a new one to you in 2 days, anywhere in the world (at least they say)... I haven't lost mine. The card is a mastercard and you can use it anywhere. It also keeps track of your expenditure month by month, which is pretty cool if you are poor.

Well, my 2cents. As for travellers checks. It's 2018......

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 4th, 2018), Up2U (January 9th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by samebb View Post
    For Brits, check out a new banking app called Revolut. You can load this app with money from your UK bank, by card or bank transfer. You do not get charged for ATM withrawals and they DO NOT fuck you on exchange rates. They give you exact, real time rates. This app is also very secure. You can disable your cards when not using them, and get notified immediatly via notification on your phone of any account activity. If you loose your card, no worries. They post a new one to you in 2 days, anywhere in the world (at least they say)... I haven't lost mine. The card is a mastercard and you can use it anywhere. It also keeps track of your expenditure month by month, which is pretty cool if you are poor.
    Can you give us some examples of how you use it in Thailand?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by samebb View Post
    . You do not get charged for ATM withrawals and they DO NOT fuck you on exchange rates. They give you exact, real time rates...
    That certainly seems like an interesting / useful app and not wanting to skate it without giving it a fair shot I’d just highlight the FREE ATM withdrawal limit of £200 a month for their free App and £400 for their premium App ( which costs £6.99 a month ) - anything ATM withdrawls over those amounts it appears they then charge a 2% fee on all withdrawals.

Again I’m not knocking the app as it does seem to have several very handy features, but just flagging that up as if used over a few trips over month or two I guess that 2% could start to add up - Mind you no more ( less probably) than the banks are probably stoking is all for anyway !