23 88.46%
  • Mostly cash advance card (credit)

3 11.54%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Poll :Traveler checks or cash?

Liked

Re: Poll :Traveler checks or cash?

I believe it's quite simple how small business can recoup the fees:

Firstly, the real issue is not so much the 20-40p Debit Card fee - it's the 2-5% Credit Card fees, and rising to astronomical fees of up to 10% with Amex and Diners which I why I don't accept them "at all, point blank, go elsewhere Sir".

As has been said, from Jan 13th we can't charge extra for credit cards but I suspect we can discount for cash with impunity. So you simply UP your "list price" and charge that to Credit Card payers and offer a variable discount for cash/cheque/bank transfer

Won't work with the big retailers as they'd soon get found out - but I suspect the rest of us can get away with it.

If not we can just post from jail.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    ..... you simply UP your "list price" and charge that to Credit Card payers and offer a variable discount for cash/cheque/bank transfer
    But that of course DOES then increase your retail price to ( in my case) 93% of my customers and in these days of online competitiveness and "tendering" etc that's a rise that most of them wouldn't stomach, even if you do hint at a further discount for "cash" .........ahhhhh cash......remember those days, when people used to pay you in actual pound notes that depending on the deal and if you were lucky you could stick a load in your wallet sometimes and say nothing if the deal was right......ahhh I miss those halycon days !

* PS for clarity should HMRC be reading this my tax affairs are of course fully compliment with all UK legislation and no "cash" has been buried under the mattress during the writing of this post - more's the bloody pity !!!

Liked

I think you should be more concerned about the possibilty of the Vice Squad reading your posts

Liked

NG, can you charge card payers with any "service payment" like "packing", "documents processing" or something like that?

Here I charge "processing fee" in amount of commission what I pay to bank from each sale (depends on type of card 1.8-3%), in description it isn't linked to card payment.

The most pain in ass here are advanced cash registers - expensive registers what each shop must to have, they are working online and each sale should be immediately reported by such register to Tax service, each check (receipt) has qr-code what can be scanned by client and checked if his transaction been registered to govt Tax service

chekbig.png
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    NG, can you charge card payers with any "service payment" like "packing", "documents processing" or something like that? Here I charge "processing fee" in amount of commission what I pay to bank from each sale (depends on type of card 1.8-3%), in description it isn't linked to card payment.
    I do exactly the same here Moses, I simply add the 2.5/3% on the bottom of their invoice ( I do itemise it for clarity) but the spirit ( and letter perhaps) of the new law is that NO, you simply shouldn't be charged any more for using a card than not. I guess that yes you could simply add a fee and call it "something" other than card fee such as packaging as you say etc, however if the Government want to make an example of someone re this law (as they sure as hell will no doubt) then sod's law my company would be the one they pick out to do that with and I dont think any judge would look too favourably on any company who are so blatently trying to circumvent the law. HOWEVER as far as I'm concerned it IS up to me what I charge anyone and if they dont like it they dont have to buy from me - which is easy to say but hard to translate into a fluid business model that's communicatable to staff perhaps without it all falling apart :-(

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    I do exactly the same here Moses, I simply add the 2.5/3% on the bottom of their invoice ...
    Thank god. For a moment there I thought you were running a charity or a co-op with all your blether and self-righteousness about employing people and all that. In my business my partners and I are completely red-blooded - we're there to make a profit on top of the decent income we pay ourselves. That's it. That's the whole point of being in business for ourselves. Employing people is merely an ingredient of that, but it's not the reason I get up in the morning. It certainly doesn't make me all dewey-eyed about the political claims of the various lobby groups our organisation supports - and small business associations are just a form of trades union for small business owners, like the BMA is for doctors

Liked

If the banks (UK) income from credit card charges goes down then they'll look elsewhere to make up the shortfall. Charges for all cash machine withdrawals from non card issuing banks would be an obvious one.

Liked

In Australia they've gone the other way.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-2...tomers/8979250

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Thank god. For a moment there I thought you were running a charity or a co-op with all your blether and self-righteousness about employing people and all that.
    Ohhhhh so now how’s trying to tell others what they think and mean, you actually couldn’t be farther from the truth ( not uncommon for you I know) as my comment on employees was merely based on our discussion re whether a Government should support the small business sector of their Country’s industrial mix, nothing more. Mind you I make no apology for “giving a shit” about my co workers as that I assure you has no bearing whatsoever on the colour of my blood, whereas you on the other hand seem to suggest differently re your own “means to an end” staff there.

10. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (January 10th, 2018)