List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few of my favourite gay Asian films ...

Liked

A few of my favourite gay Asian films ...

I love Asian movies. They can often be weird (exacerbated by wonky, head-shaking subtitles) but that's often what makes me gravitate to them. They can be slow, even lanquid, and full of a 'style' which is quite understandable to their nationality, but makes westerners vaguely uncomfortable.

Thailand can be an awfully hot place at times, especially during the April ~ September heat waves: a perfect environment to turn on the aircon and watch some movies, undisturbed by a boyfriend who loves making money, thus loves working, thus outta my hair for hours at a time.

Here are four Asian gay films which you might find enjoyable. I've put two of them in this post, and two more in the following post ... (for some reason one has a limit of 2 YouTube videos per post. I don't get that really, but not a big deal).

My choices are numbered from 'Best Film' to 'Not Best Film' ... but out of a large crowd of gay Asian movies these four stand out for me.

"No Regret"
    (1) South Korea, English subs (but not the greatest)

'No Regret' is a movie which took awhile to appreciate. I watched it first a few years ago, liked it but not loved. But there was something about it which made me come back to it a number of times. It just seemed to get better on each viewing (and I hardly ever watch a movie more than once).
    This is a movie, not of 'boys', but of 'men' ... the 2 main characters are late 20's/early30's. The main character is immensely handsome as well as being in just about every shot. Smokely sexy, yet quietly inward-looking, he makes this film what it is.
    (The ending is a bit over the top, the only part I could live without.)

"No Touching at all" (2) Japanese, English Subs

Another day, another angst-full Japanese gay man.
    This movie is just plain sweet: the angst character is as shy as it gets, whilst his boss at work hasn't a shy bone in his body. This one takes it's time but the first kiss goes a long way. I loved both of the main characters in different ways ... so far away from each other's innerness that it may well seem an impossible match, and for a long time it is.
    Some nice touching moments here, in spite of the title.

Last edited by Smiles; December 31st, 2017 at 16:05.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

2. 4 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (December 31st, 2017), Brad the Impala (December 31st, 2017), christianpfc (January 4th, 2018), francois (December 31st, 2017)

Liked

Re: A few of my favourite gay Asian films ...

"Junjou Pure Heart" (3) Japanese, English Subs

It's difficult to watch this movie without liking it ... it's that compelling. Tokyo Salary Men are everywhere (in Tokyo!) but gay Salary Men are careful. But these two guys find each other in the crowd because they sat staring at each other back in public school. But each went his own way for a time, then circled back to catch some love in this hard world.
    The shorter guy is a smart cookie and doesn't have the inner turmoil of the taller guy ... who can be, it must be said, and asshole at times.
    This is, once again, a sweet film, and is a great bus ride.

"Feel Good to Say Goodbye" (4) Thailand, English Subs

Thai gay movies are more often than not loaded down with young gorgeous school boys in white shirts and blue shorts. And this one is no exception. Its a long film, most of which is in the middle (in the past), but booked-marked on either end (the here and now). The main reason I liked this film is that the two boys really seem to have a great liking of each other. It shows in many ways and lets you in to the story.
    "Feel Good to Say Goodbye' is not nearly as well-made as the other movies here. It's not very sophisticated at all, but that is pretty much a given when it comes to Thai movies in general. But I liked this one anyway ... so give it a chance.
    The few sex scenes are actually quite sensual, the beginning story and the ending story are not schmaltzy, yet compelling in the Thai Way.

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 4th, 2018), francois (December 31st, 2017)

Liked

Smiles, that sounds like a great way to spend a couple of hours. In my case, I'll crank up the heating and watch the movies over the next few days. Thanks for posting.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

One that made a great impact on me at the time was the 1998 Chinese gay movie Bishonen: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishonen_(film)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

Not much of a Korean fan but I have to admit this was a great movie:

https://youtu.be/dhcdPrNJodw

Liked

Thanks for that Tao, I haven't seen that one.

9. User who gave Like to post:

TaoR (January 2nd, 2018)

Liked

Just doing my part to add a little variety to the forum...

Liked

This post got me hooked on watching these gay Asian movies... anyway a good one if you haven't seen it... Fathers (2016)

Liked

more a Thai story than a gay one, though there is a gay romance: was release here I think as "My Hero" but internationally was called "How to win at checkers (every time)"

(trailer only)

(maybe full movie?)

bkkguy

13. User who gave Like to post:

TaoR (January 12th, 2018)

Liked

Last edited by Moses; January 12th, 2018 at 22:40. Reason: inserting links as a video