Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Freezing' in Thailand?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: 'Freezing' in Thailand?

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    For the good of the board Matt should have a one month holiday from us and us from him and the hourly minutiae of his 'life'.
    One month would be too long. The SGT Envoy will be meeting Matt on 15 Jan and we need immediate news of that encounter. Three weeks would be good.

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

joe552 (December 20th, 2017), Rolling Stone (December 20th, 2017)

Liked

Yep. I'd take that.

Liked

No, I think I'll just take a permanent abscense from the board, because quite obviously, my prescense is causing quite a disruption.

I'll still be in KK for Joe's 15th meet. He can post whatever he wants afterwards. I really don't care.

Liked

Disappointing that a moderator was one of the guilty on the 'summer'topic.
    Guilty as charged.

But I have been relatively constrained recently and have resisted the temptation to comment on threads and individual comments when, in the past, I would have done so.

The "Summer is here" topic was derailed in post #2 and then continually derailed by the OP himself, posting about being blind (!), Leo's mother, etc. I came in at #17, long after the topic had moved on.

Isn't the moderator in the position where he could just start a new topic about 'cdnmatt inquisition' and move all relative posts there, all in one neat little thread
    Yes, but in Matt's case, moving the posts would be a never-ending task. The quickest solution would be for Matt to stop opening new threads about his life. Just one is enough. Then all the comments would be in the one place.

Matt is demanding that I apologise for doubting his "I'm blind" saga. It's a story which he has been repeating ad finitum for over a year at every opportunity. (see above).

But he wants an apology only from me - noone else; not even from all those who have been more harshly critical and have posted more questions to Matt than me.

Therefore, if Matt insists on an apology, surely I have the right to demand something in return from him in order to decide whether or not an apology is warranted. This is it:

If you say you are a blind man living this truly dramatic life you can not stop posting about, (but make contradictory comments which suggest very strongly that you are not being truthful), please clear up the contradictions for me. Actually, just that one will do.

Otherwise, stop asking me for an apology.

When someone posts, they open themselves up to all kinds of comment, including criticism and scrutiny. If they are not prepared for that, they should think carefully before they hit the "submit" button.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    ... but how about a yawn button ...
    Yep a yawn button is highly desirable!

Liked

It is not interesting to 99% of the viewers and posters here when 3 - 5 guys go back and forth with their banter to each other. Reply directly to them..everyone else
    could care less what you say to each other as it is OFF TOPIC MOST OF THE TIME....

Liked

So fucking skip it. You're not being forced to read this.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (December 20th, 2017), bobsaigon2 (December 20th, 2017)

Liked

Well said!

For goodness sake, can't you just stop reading comments you find boring?

11. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (December 20th, 2017)

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    When someone posts, they open themselves up to all kinds of comment, including criticism and scrutiny. If they are not prepared for that, they should think carefully before they hit the "submit" button.
    This attitude, especially from a moderator, is a real disincentive to people posting their experiences, which I think is high on the list of reasons for people visiting the forums. Exchange of information and experiences.

No one is entitled to demand accountability from an anonymous poster. You don't believe someone, move on as you would from a bullshitter in a bar, don't keep drawing attention to them by arguing with them.

13. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (December 20th, 2017)

Liked

I am not arguing. I'm asking for an explanation. There is a difference.

Matt is drawing attention to himself.

It's amazing how among those who claim the right to free speech, there are some who willingly deny the same to others.

Members are free to post whatever they like, as long as it conforms to the rules. Yet here you are, telling members what they are or are not "entitled" to do.

Sorry, but that's not your call.

Being a moderator does not mean one can't question members' comments. All moderators in the past have done exactly that.

But it does mean that I will no longer get into a back and forth with you.
    Last edited by a447; December 20th, 2017 at 14:28.