Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: a new Chiang Mai Accommodation thread

Liked

a new Chiang Mai Accommodation thread

Hi All
    After 17 years of visiting Thailand I have once again booked flights to Chiang Mai for myself and BF
    This will be the 3rd time we have booked flights there... but on both previous occasions have skipped the flights... as we were simply having too much fun in BKK & Pattaya and could not wake up in time!

This time around I am determined not to fail!

Have looked at the usual CM accommodation suggestions of Lotus and PJs place... but neither appeals to us... have no interest in staying in tired old rooms...

We are night life lovers... so want some place in the centre of the action... preferably near the gay discos (is Mandalay/mandagay even open any more?)

All suggestions welcomed!
    Thanks in Advance!

Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Re: a new Chiang Mai Accommodation thread

Quote Originally Posted by colmx View Post
    We are night life lovers... so want some place in the centre of the action... preferably near the gay discos (is Mandalay/mandagay even open any more?)
    Gay discos? Plural? As far as I know, there is none left, but Mandalay has a gay corner.
    Here my impressions from Mar 2017:
    Mandalay 00:05 parking only 1/10th occupied. Inside about 20 customers. Security pats our pockets. Entry would be 200 Baht including mixers, but FF talks us in for a free look and some inquiries, with intention of coming back later. Music far too loud. According to staff, gets busy between 00:30 to 1:00. Closing time is 2:30 (not much time between busy and closing!). A warning note is posted: Fee 100 Baht if you take out glasses or bottles. Overall, I didn’t like this first impression and will not be back.
    (picture)
    (I have been once around 2012, following a Thai friend’s suggestion, and vaguely remember paying 300 Baht entry for Farang at that time, another negative impression.)
    http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/201...30mar2017.html

Liked

There is no such thing as a "gay disco", in Chiang Mai.
    Shan boys go to karaoke, when the bars close. They are open very late., and can be quite fun.
    Bars close between 12 and 1AM, and operate behind shutters afterwards.

Uber is the answer to your transportation problems.

4. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 18th, 2017)

Liked

What's a 'shan' boy?

Liked

It's an ethnic group, I believe from Burma/Myanmar - but someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong. Apparently many work in the bars in Chiang Mai.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

7. User who gave Like to post:

Doofus (December 18th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by colmx View Post
    Hi All
    A problem with Chiang Mai is the action no longer has a centre, and much of it closes early: 12-1 a.m. though there is always something open on the darker side.

Mandalay is still there, now called Sound Up; haven't been in ages but still gets some gay customers by all accounts. See Man Pub is still standing but closed again. Tawan Deang (Nimman area) has quite a few gay customers. Nearby infinity is popular and there are a couple of places in prasert land/Nimmanhaemin soi 6 though not so gay. The whole Nimmanhaemin area is packed with new bars, restaurants and several boutique hotels with plenty to keep you busy though nothing particularly gay.

Lukylok mentioned Karaokes, these are mainly in Chang Puek, along with the go-go bars, which haven't changed much. Free Guy definitely the most fun late night spot these days. http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/2...y-bar-karaoke/ More a music bar with boy dancers and some karaoke than pure karaoke where the bad signing can get a bit much.

JJ bar market has few places like TaChang cafe which attracts a few gays. Or you can go slum it with the fishermans pants crowd down at Zoe in Yellow in the old city. Charoen Prathet soi 6 and nearby areas at the Night Bazaar are where all the gay bars are, but these are mainly beer bars, apart from Ram Bar if you like cabaret shows. Orion or Secrets bar are probably the most fun these days.

There are so many new hotels opened around town, it should be easy to find something that fits with the above, depending on budget. There are probably more good new places in Nimman than around the Night Bazaar/old city which still has a lot of older accommodation. Though Night Bazaar area has some high end like Le Meridien, Shangri La, Anantara, perhaps D2 though getting dated. Club One Seven also has a suite apartment near the Shangri La which might be of interest. http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/2...hiangmai-soi6/

One I recommend is the bungalows at the Pub http://www.thepubchiangmai.com/rooms-bungalows/ Individual chalet style rooms in the grounds of The Pub in an excellent location - opposite the Maya Mall and close to everything in Nimmanaheminda, but located on Huay Kaew Rd so it's easy to get Songthaews/tuk tuks to the nIght Bazaar. Or, as Luckylok says - Uber is your friend, definitely recommended in Chiang Mai. The Bungalows are not flashy but also decently priced (<1000 Bt I believe), and the Pub does a good breakfast. Or close to there is the newly opened U Nimman Hotel, the older Kantary hills, and several other recently opened boutique places. Might be worth looking at the X2 group, they've opened several resorts and other properties in Chiang Mai.
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]

9. 4 Users gave Like to post:

catawampuscat (December 19th, 2017), Moses (December 20th, 2017), Patanawet (December 21st, 2017), snotface (December 18th, 2017)

Liked

Thanks BonTong or your comprehensive review or our options... Much appreciated!
    I was actually considering the D2, but will now look up the other places you mention on TripAdvisor and then pass to my manager (aka the BF!) for approval
    Will update here once I have one
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by DrewSpz View Post
    What's a 'shan' boy?
    It's from three years ago, but this should answer your question and provide some eyecandy.: http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/2...ys-shan-state/
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]

Liked

What a pleasure lies ahead for you! Most Shan boys I've met have been polite, clean, and capable of a reasonable amount of English. Straight surely, and rarely anything less than well put together.

13. 2 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (December 22nd, 2017), BonTong (December 22nd, 2017)

Liked

All of the above, plus hot, handsome, hung and very easy-going.

I've been told they are all tops, but one guy at Adams Apple pointed out two who were bottoms. (Shhhh!)

15. 2 Users gave Like to post:

BonTong (December 22nd, 2017), Doofus (December 22nd, 2017)