Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travel between Jomtien and BT

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Travel between Jomtien and BT

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    How can they expect a Thai to pay that sort of money??
    It’s called a deterrent and from what I have seen seems to work.
    At least now they think before drinking and driving....(maybe only a little) but yes some do even mention not doing it!

And that10K is a cash deal with BiB. There’s the alternative of daring to go to court but the sentences can be even worse...

2. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 13th, 2017)

Liked

At least here in the West, we scrupulously obey the rule of law. Those pesky Thais, and their cavalier attitudes. No wonder so many of us choose to retire there, or go for holidays.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    It’s called a deterrent and from what I have seen seems to work.
    At least now they think before drinking and driving....(maybe only a little) but yes some do even mention not doing it!
    Many deterrents only work when you are sober.

After a night out on the booze, caution is often thrown to the wind.

5. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (December 11th, 2017)

Liked

The same applies to sex.

Once it's in front of you and the red mist descends, all sense can fly out the window.

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (December 11th, 2017), joe552 (December 11th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    I dread to think what they're asking farang for then.
    Manforallseasons will have the answer to that.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2 View Post
    Last few years I've stayed in Jomien at some point during a Thailand trip, and usually visit BT/Sunee at least once during a night returning at various times 10pm- 5am and always manage to get a baht bus. Last trip in Oct after a visit to Marine Disco in Walking St I caught baht bus at the end of soi VC next to VC hotel (opposite the small sois which lead to Walking St) at 5am. They seem to run 24/7 and it's just your luck during the quieter hours, but so far never needed to use Motocy taxis at any hour. Baht bus is usual Bt10 at all times, but I have used them as taxi hire for Bt80-100 depending on circumstances at the time, I prefer that option to motocy taxis.

To be honest when staying in Jomtien I often found the most irritating time to be using baht buses was around 6pm-8pm from Jomtien to Sth Pattaya as they tend to get stuck in the long traffic jams as you near Sth Pattaya with so many tour buses using that route and they are often packed solid, between being packed-in, vehicle fumes and heat it's a bit uncomfortable. I don't know if this is all year round or just the months I happen to be visiting. Expats here probably more in the 'know'.
    Many thanks. That's helpful. Marine disco? Is it a gay hangout?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Marine Disco is not a gay venue as such.
    However, you will sometimes find the boys gather there after work as it is one of the few places now allowed to stay open until 6 am.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    So, rent a bike for sure, but do be aware the police have now caught on to their latest big money making scheme and I dont see that changing any time soon so be sure to park it up if in any doubt ( or carry 10000 baht spare cash with you if not). PS HAS anyone heard anything different to the 10000 baht rumour i.e is that feel discussable perhaps ?
    These higher demands have been going on for a while now in Pattaya (usually higher than Bt10000). True story...........back on my June trip this year my friend from Navanakorn came to Pattaya for a couple days as he sometimes does during my trips and we visit some of the guys we know in local bands, one of the nights after we had finished our travels he went to the room of a friend, he then headed back to our place at Mosiak at 6am and was caught in a police check point enroute, not very drunk but certainly over the limit.

He is just a normal Thai guy working in an engineering company earning about Bt15,000 a month. The police demanded Bt20,000, with immediate payment and he goes nowhere until paid! He got that 'down' to Bt15,000...so his friend who was with him on the back of the bike had to take my friends ATM card and withdraw what he could, about Bt10,000, he called me I lent the other Bt5,000. The friend retunred claiming to police he couldn't raise the full Bt15,000 (even though he had it in case they didn't budge)..... police finally accepted Bt8,000 for a quick resolution. But he said it STILL took a lot of negotiation over 3 hours all in, pleads that he would lose his job etc... to get it resolved. His friend whose bike it was and was probably over the limit was allowed to drive them away......he came back to room about 10am, repaid my Bt5,000 and headed back to Navanakorn to start his work on the night shift.

A447 suggests Bt10,000 is ridiculous for a Thai, and it is! but that's what the police expect and get nowadays from ordinary Thais. I have no experience of their expectation from Farangs, but still seems negotiable depending circumstances...and definitely not worth the risk. If my friend had not come up with enough the police were going to hold him until he paid, it might have meant him missing his shift later that night back in Navanakorn which would have been more serious than simply having to come up with Bt10-15,000. I think the police digging their heals in until the farang came up with the whole amount could be a problem, however if you did have Bt5,000 on you to hand over immediately for a quick resolution for both parties that might be enough, certainly worth a try, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    My experience and timings and those of Newalaan differ. Why do I want to visit each area 2/3 times a night? Well, because I do. The atmosphere changes throughout the night. And I'm virtually tea-total in Thailand. A 10 day trip recently yielded an alcohol consumption of exactly one beer.
    That makes sense with the 'virtually tea-total' line........you don't drink in the evenings...I do. Once I have found somewhere I like, I prefer to settle there for a good while. I find enough time used up just with the out and return, personally I couldn't be bothered with 4-6 times a night, but could understand if you have the freedom of a bike and don't drink.....a position I've never found myself in Pattaya this past 18 years or so!

But in what way does your experience and timings differ to mine journeying between the two as a matter of interest? and maybe helpful to the OP. If you use your motocy and never use baht buses how would you be aware how long a journey takes in one, or, are you saying you have experience of regularly taking an hour to travel between Jomtien and Sth Pattaya by baht bus or motocy? or that it takes an hour at a certain time of day? As I say, I regularly travel between the two, both directions, from about 2pm through 5am and apart from the specific times I mentioned 6-8pm it takes about 10 mins by baht bus for that journey. What are you experiencing differently from me?

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 13th, 2017), joe552 (December 12th, 2017)

Liked

I imagine that fine is the bribe you must pay to the police.

If you were to refuse and opt instead to go down to the police station and be charged, what would the punishment be?

Being in control of a car or bike when drunk is a very wide offence, but it's a bit much to expect the offender to come up with a month's pay on the spot. Who goes around with that amount in their pocket?

If the offender decided to go through the official channels, would they get an equivalent fine, and would they be able to pay it off?

Or would they go straight to the "monkey house"?

For me, it's entirely academic, as like arsenal, I don't drink. But I would be interested to know.

Liked

I'm still using Uber for longer distances.

I just returned to Pattaya, but in Oktober, I took at least 6 rides. Not sure about their precise status. it seems that they get fined when picking up customers. From Tukcom to the outlet on Sukumvit would set you back around 90bt. The cars provided are/were usually new and full size.

At night you can still take a 10bt ride with the busses. If you are lucky you can stop one roadside. Otherwise, if you are in boys Town, walk to the corner of 3rd and South Pattaya rd. You can get on there for the same 10bt.