Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Liar Len

Liked

Re: Liar Len

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post

I think you're taking this wee message board thing WAY too seriously perhaps Moses, it's a load of old guys talking about sex and loving Asia ( or not) nothing more.
    wrong... not a sentence is wrong, but your presumption what I am thinking about idea "what this board is"... useless efforts to think about present - it is as it is...

... here I will leave to you space for to think and to continue.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Dont let me keep you.

Liked

A member of this board has frequently referred to members retarded and slow
    I have previously reported one of these posts as inappropriate - but never received any private feedback

So I will now post it in public:
    Member: I know that English is not your first language - but you REALLY need to stop using this type of disparaging and offensive terminology towards people - especially if you are trying to endear yourself to the community.

Contemptuous terms like retarded went out of general use around the same time that I was in school (and that was long time ago) - so please desist!
    (For clarity this member is NOT ScottishGuy)
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Overjoyed to be in the clear for a change

5. User who gave Like to post:

colmx (December 6th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by colmx View Post
    A member of this board has frequently referred to members retarded and slow
    I have previously reported one of these posts as inappropriate - but never received any private feedback
    "retard" is marked in dictionaries as offensive word,
    "slow" is NOT marked in dictionaries as offensive word.

That why some users got warning or infraction for "retard" and nobody got warning or infraction for "slow".
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    - insulting other member 3 points
    Whether a member is insulted or indeed whether a poster intends to insult are both highly subjective. As well, as I recall the posting guidelines more or less say that members do not have a right not to be offended. I might intend that referring to one poster as a "Scottish git", to another as a "high-tech wanker" and a third as an "old fool" as an insult, others may perceive it as an insult, still others may not care, and the recipient thinks it's a joke and does not respond. Is this a 3 demerit point infraction, or is there some element of retardation that is invoked, so that it's not an insult until some objection is made? It's just not very transparent. I refer to myself as a "whoremonger" specifically because a sanctimonious fool who is a member of this board clearly believes it to be a term of opprobrium. Is he getting 3 demerit points for using the term about members, or am I because I refer to him as a sanctimonious fool? What about my comment in a post the other day about "lip pursing" members?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Whether a member is insulted or indeed whether a poster intends to insult are both highly subjective. As well, as I recall the posting guidelines more or less say that members do not have a right not to be offended. I might intend that referring to one poster as a "Scottish git", to another as a "high-tech wanker" and a third as an "old fool" as an insult, others may perceive it as an insult, still others may not care, and the recipient thinks it's a joke and does not respond. Is this a 3 demerit point infraction, or is there some element of retardation that is invoked, so that it's not an insult until some objection is made? It's just not very transparent. I refer to myself as a "whoremonger" specifically because a sanctimonious fool who is a member of this board clearly believes it to be a term of opprobrium. Is he getting 3 demerit points for using the term about members, or am I because I refer to him as a sanctimonious fool? What about my comment in a post the other day about "lip pursing" members?
    you are right, it is very subjective point in infraction system, that why we should check with dictionaries - if word is marked as offensive, should be infraction then, if word isn't marked as offensive in dictionary - then infraction shouldn't be applied

Liked

"retard" is marked in dictionaries as offensive word,
    "slow" is NOT marked in dictionaries as offensive word.

That why some users got warning or infraction for "retard" and nobody got warning or infraction for "slow".
    Errm...person that called someone retarded is the owner of the board.... Does that infer that the other mods have dutifully given him an infraction?

Or is it the case that as owner of the board he is entitled to make slurs without recourse?

10. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (December 6th, 2017)

Banned
    Liked

you are right, it is very subjective point in infraction system, that why we should check with dictionaries - if word is marked as offensive, should be infraction then, if word isn't marked as offensive in dictionary - then infraction shouldn't be applied
    That is precisely why I used the word "retardation" in my post, because you have already made the point about a dictionary - which one, by the way? - marking certain words as offensive. Retarded and its associated words may well be marked as offensive, but the way I used it, it was not. Equally dictionaries would likely be silent about "high-tech wanker" but it could be intended and/or taken as insulting. One of the reasons I attempt to use words like "apposite" in my posts, for example, or "fungible" is to obscure my meaning for simple-minded people (is that an insult?) so as to avoid such mechanistic attempts at censorship.

I think there's a line in Yes Minister where Jim Hacker complains about the obscurity of Humphrey Appleby's language, and Humphrey takes it as a compliment. I feel exactly the same way
    It is how this forum being developed by American programmers...
    Europeans invented the court system and it was borrowed by the Russians, the Thais etc. However few Europeans would dream of suggesting that courts in authoritarian countries are other than instruments of oppression, while still happily using the self-same system of courts in their democratic countries

12. User who gave Like to post:

Smiles (December 6th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by colmx View Post
    Or is it the case that as owner of the board he is entitled to make slurs without recourse?
    You haven’t been concentrating Colmx, Moses already covered that by clarifying that he and the Mods can say and so just whatever the fuck they want basically, no “infractions” ( hilarious btw on a grown ups board !!) will be applied - Moses “might” have a quiet word if it’s a Mod says something HE doesn’t like, but we’ll never hear about that and meanwhile the Mod will seemingly to the rest of us just go on about his business.

Mose my advice to you - quit all this stupid nonsense right now before you try yourself and the board up in even more knots than they’re already becoming tied up in. It’s beciming laughable if it didn’t have such serious ramifications for fucking up your board and people just not bothering posting for fear of ( by your own admission) almost impossible to define and indentify so called “infractions”

I’m sure ( well I think) your heart is in the right place but with English not being your first language and a Mod who’s obviously one sided when it comes to SG etc and so is thus nothing less than useless and has lost the members respect in that regard as a mod then in my opinion ( is that an insult or an opinion !?? ) this whole “infraction and points and robots” nonsense needs to stop before it gets anymore out of hand than it’s already becoming.

You will NEVER make this work and the “system” is this then only left open to abuse by yourself and mods and does nothing to either improve your board or the quality or number of posters.

If you’re wise you’ll gracefully retire this wonderful new plan to the tried it and it wasn’t a great idea filing cabinet and let us all move on to more pressing matters such as “how much is a beer in boystown and how much is an off these days” - in my humble opinion.