Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Venue V Ambiance?

Liked

Re: The Venue V Ambiance?

It's simple. One of the attractions for me in 1995 was precisely that. For the first time in my life I felt at home among like-minded people....not "friends" but passers-by and temporary neighbours who shared my interests. Straights have enjoyed that sense of belonging all their lives; it was new to me.
    Furthermore, in those days, the ages and even the backgrounds of many of the falangs reflected mine. I met some who, like me, had lived closeted, straight lives and at a late stage of our lives had discovered a sense of freedom.
    I'm sorry if this sounds pretentious but for me, and for others, Boyztown opened a new and welcome chapter in our lives, the opportunity to be in a place for people like us.

2. 4 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (December 2nd, 2017), joe552 (December 2nd, 2017), poshglasgow (December 2nd, 2017), searcher (December 5th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Boyztown opened a new and welcome chapter in our lives, the opportunity to be in a place for people like us.
    now it is just big overpriced circus, zoo and money trap for hordes of Chinese touristic groups
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

4. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 13th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    What's with the plague of the word apposite recently? Give it a rest, ffs.
    I am sure even the University of Edinburgh's most famous lexicographic graduate would agree even though the use of the term here has been appropriate, pertinent, relevant, apt, applicable, suitable, germane and fitting

bkkguy

6. User who gave Like to post:

Moses (December 2nd, 2017)

Liked

A lovely post, Oliver, and one that will touch a sympathetic nerve, for, many of us have endured a similar course through life.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    I am sure even the University of Edinburgh's most famous lexicographic graduate would agree even though the use of the term here has been appropriate, pertinent, relevant, apt, applicable, suitable, germane and fitting

bkkguy
    Almost as fashionable as interviewees beginning a response to a question with the word "so..." Am I alone in noticing how dreadfully irritating it has become? Another one is when people in, for example, coffee shops beginning their order with, "Can I get......" Instead of "May I have...."

I'm being pedantic so I'll shut up now.

9. 3 Users gave Like to post:

joe552 (December 2nd, 2017), Oliver (December 3rd, 2017), paborn (June 6th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by poshglasgow View Post
    Almost as fashionable as interviewees beginning a response to a question with the word "so..." Am I alone in noticing how dreadfully irritating it has become?
    So this usage is defended by some linguists (cunning or otherwise) as trying to show an interest in, or respect for, the question, questioner or topic but others deride it as a marker prefacing a carefully crafted, perhaps "dumbed down", perhaps not 100% accurate or acceptable, or just well rehearsed, response that the speaker may not be 100% comfortable with

I listen to a lot of podcasts, usually including interviews, and like you I find this most annoying!

I am however rarely doing this listening at either The Venue or Ambiance so the moderators should feel free to split this discussion into another thread in a more relevant area!

bkkguy

Liked

Finally made a decision and have settled for the Venue. I've never stayed on Jomtien, despite the fact that I have been visiting Thailand for 24 years. I am hoping the Jomtien Complex proves a fun place. I've heard that there is a fine bar, with attractive staff, in the complex operated by a very friendly fellow Scotsman. Not sure what the name of the bar is though.

Liked

It may, and if not certainly should be called See You Jimmy's - but maybe that will have to wait until I open up my place.

There's a history of Scottish Jimmys in Pattaya but the most famous one is more Danny La Rue than Russ Abbot.

And that's a compliment btw

13. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (December 4th, 2017)

Liked

Le me know when you open your place!!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Why not call it The Tartan Chairs?