Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matt and I

Liked

Matt and I

I've been a member of the board for nigh on 10 years. I'd like to think that in that time I've built up a certain credibility - I am actually who I claim to be. An Irishman who drinks too much (I know, the exception to the rule), too prone to falling in love with a cute go-go boy, prone to depression when at home, and who's had a challenging couple of years.

Matt joined the board at roughly the same time, give or take a year. At first, I thought he was a really nice guy, defying his parents' wishes and striking out on his own in a strange country. I admired and envied that. I totally believed his accounts of his daily life in Pattaya with Kim. He wasn't afraid to admit making mistakes, but generally seemed happy with his life. I can't remember what prompted the split with Kim.

Then came the move to Khon Kaen, which seemed a bit odd to me. Why would a young Western man move from Pattaya, where one can access support networks of farang business men, since he was building up his business. And of course, the usual pleasures of Pattaya. Seemed an odd choice to me, but then again, we've all made odd choices in our lives. Sometimes those choices take us closer to where we wanted to be, and sometimes they take us to places we never even knew about, and are happier for the experience.

The kicker for me was the blindness. You can't judge the decisions a person makes in that situation, but we all do. I can only speak for myself. Had I been rendered blind by a fall, and told there was no treatment, I would have gone home, no matter how much I didn't really want to. Just to have the support of family and friends (which I already have right now) but also access to services such as guide dogs, etc, which can give a blind person a greater level of independence. But Matt (apparently) decided to stay on his own in a strange town, in a (relatively) strange country, without a support network of any kind. A rational decision? I think not.

So once the doubts about his credibility begin to creep in, it becomes harder to believe anything
    he says. I finally decided a little while ago that I didn't believe any of what he posted.

So why did I say I would go to KK to confirm (or otherwise) the reality of the person we know as Matt? He needed to be called out on his bullshit. And I hoped in the expected long discussions here about that visit, he would reveal more about his alternate persona.

The final straw was this morning, when he said I was still welcome to visit KK, but the rest of you could all fuck off. I couldn't maintain my pretence of believing his lies anymore.

Well, this went on a bit longer than I thought. I've tried to write as honestly as I can. Does it matter whether you believe what I've written? Well, yes, it does. I'd like to think that over the last 10 years I've made a couple of friends (even if we don't physically meet) and these are important to me.

So we all make our own decisions in these matters. I've made mine. I'm staying in Pattaya - spending the early part of the day in the Beer Garden, and trying to find a replacement for All of Me bar.

Now, I'm off to have a deep fried Mars bar with bacon for my tea.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (November 28th, 2017), scottish-guy (November 28th, 2017)

Liked

Re: Matt and I

I gave you a like for the content of your post - not for "calling Matt out".

I have no idea if Matt is genuine or not and I care even less - I take everybody at face value until the point where there's real proof to the contrary and even then, so what if someone wants to live a Walter Mitty existence - how does their doing that diminish me?

You have formed your own opinion from a great distance Joe - but what if Matt is genuine, however bizarre or unlikely you find his story - won't you feel a bit guilty?

I would - and that's why I don't judge from 6000 miles away

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

aussie_ (November 28th, 2017), Brad the Impala (November 28th, 2017)

Liked

We have nothing to go on in judging other posters apart from what they write here. You're only a few/couple (no idea) miles from me. Ronan apparently lives within a 5 minutes walk from me. a447 apparently lives in Australia, bob in Saigon. How do I know if any of you are genuine? The fact that Matt says he lives in KK doesn't make it true.

Over the years, some members build up the level of their credibility - you, being an example. Does anyone not believe your VN BF and his father are visiting you? I don't think so.

Matt's credibility, on the other hand, has diminished, to the point where I believe very few posters believe him. Should we do a poll? Would that make him more or less real? Maybe we should take a vote - does Joe go to KK or not?

What do you think?

This might seem like I;m backtracking which I don't think I am. I usually include a couple of days out of Pattaya in my holiday with my friend of the night, so actually on a personal level I wouldn't mind a trip to KK. So if I get a sense that people would prefer I go, I'll certainly think about that.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Joe you and other posters proliferate his Bullshit by continuing posting on his threads ie. Sleeping in the villages".....
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

7. User who gave Like to post:

francois (November 28th, 2017)

Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked

Sorry to hear you wont be going Joe, it would have madd ea good story at least...

Now what will we talk about when we meet up in Pattaya?

But in fairness, I would be reluctant to make that commitment to go, when you are never quite certain whether or not you are on a wild goose chase or not.

Liked

Ronan, I have lots of questions to ask about colmx's stamina, and where the fuck he gets his energy from. And of course, being 3 Irishmen abroad, we'll complain about the Guinness, and not a sign of Bacon & Cabbage for Sunday dinner. No, the rest of you, it's not Sunday lunch.

And since we're meeting in a popular Boyztown venue, there might be a young man of indeterminate means to talk about. There'll inevitably be the fight about how many pints of Guinness and whisky chasers, not to mention the Pina Coladas, each of us actually had. Then we'll head off for a burger and chips.

When you put it like that you think, why the fuck am I lashing out 2 grand? I can do it here for under €100, and sleep in my own bed. Have I depressed you yet?

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post

Matt's credibility, on the other hand, has diminished, to the point where I believe very few posters believe him. Should we do a poll? Would that make him more or less real?
    We just did that! Damned if I can find it though as with all the cutting, pasting and moving of threads, this forum is beginning to resemble a Burroughs novel, although not quite as stimulating. As I recall the results of the poll, for what they were worth, were that half the members were either unsure or believed Matt while the other half didn't.

Maybe we should take a vote - does Joe go to KK or not?
    If I was Matt you would have slipped into the creepy column now. You affected to believe him, and got to exchanging emails, and telephone numbers, but now you write that you haven't believed him for some time and were just luring him into a meeting so that you could "call him out on his bullshit"!

11. User who gave Like to post:

pennyboy (November 28th, 2017)

Liked

blah, blah, blah Joe.

Put up or shut up, Joe. You had / have an open invitation from me to meet in KK and confirm. You also have my personal e-mail address, and both, my home and work phone numbers.

Don't expect me to defend the fact I went blind, because that's bullshit, and I just won't do it.

Liked

Yes Brad, that's exactly what I was doing. Does that make me creepy or just tired of the fucking bullshit?

Matt, in all of the hundreds of posts you've made since you went blind, you've never mentioned a hospital, doctor, a rehabilitation service - any of the things a person with an acquired disability might engage with. I've lived in my apartment for a number of years, and if blindfolded, could with some practise and a helping hand, make my way to the local store alone, a year after going blind. But you're doing it all alone.

I call bullshit.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Yes Brad, that's exactly what I was doing. Does that make me creepy or just tired of the fucking bullshit?
    It certainly makes you dishonest and less worthy of trust, whatever your motivation. As an attempt at being Poirot it was more like Mother on the Orient Express.

15. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (November 28th, 2017)