List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are landlines a thing of the past?

Liked

Re: Are landlines a thing of the past?

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Except that I don't have ADSL, I have a dedicated cable connection - absolutely no need for the landline which is on a completely separate cable (as was the TV) - but I still must take it to get the "bundled" price.

Having said that, following a fairly recent ruling by some regulator somewhere, some telecoms providers are gradually removing the need to buy a landline to get internet. What many are doing however is to increase the standalone broadband cost to more than the bundled cost so they're still making a mint on it
    Oh in that case it IS ridiculous.

Liked

I have fiber-optic channel for internet and security system incl CCTV, also for TV broadcasting. It is quite popular in Moscow (about 70% of apts here have dedicated fiber cuz it is cheap: free installation + from $6 per month, price depends on speed of Internet connection: $6 for 20 Mbit/sec up to $30 for 200 Mbit/sec, 24/7 CCTV watched and recorded by city police cost additional $20/month for 3 cams (balcony, windows and entrance) ). I don't use TV broadcasting since everything I can find in Internet, but can tell price - basic packet with 72 channels is $5 monthly,

+ 3 mobile numbers: 2 for job and private life, 3rd is additional data-channel for security system.

Land line been cutted out 5 years ago at the same time with TV cable and radio broadcasting line.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Liked

Moses what kind of area are you living in that you need cameras on your apartment? I live in a 3rd floor apartment in the city centre. The entrance gate (there's only one) is monitored by a camera, and there are a number of others dotted around the complex. Why would I need my own cameras?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    Moses what kind of area are you living in that you need cameras on your apartment?
    It's small penthouse on last 16th floor, balcony is reachable from roof, and roof has free access from main stairs. Main reason why I need cams - I'm out of country up to 6 months per year. By the same reason there are few water leak and fire/smoke sensors in security system, and police has keys to my apts - to visit and to call to communal services in case of some troubles.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Liked

Thanks Moses, that makes perfect sense.

Liked

It's a good idea to give the police the keys to one's house - here in the Gorbals (where I live apparently) they just kick the door in

7. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (November 28th, 2017)

Liked

Yeah, SG, but when you've grown up with it, it becomes normal.

I did laugh out loud - if I ever use 3 letters to replace those words, shoot me.

At least your police are kicking in doors. It's kind of what you expect from police. Here, our police are investigating how our police recorded 1.5 million breath tests that never happened, among other scandals which just might bring down the Government.

To paraphrase our former Taoiseach (Prime Minister) a great little country to do illegal business in.

Liked

At my home I have a 40/4 mbit cable connection, that also carries the TV and voip. The voip js not used. My main line is a 500/500 fiber, with no tv and voip that is used to call out using an asterisk pbx. The fiber has a fixed Ipv4 addres and an additional 5 ip addresses and a :48 ipv6 subnet.

This means that unless there is a powercut, I always have a working internet connection, as the two connections are tied to a pfsense virtual machine that acts as a failover/loadbalancing router.

Liked

It's a good idea to give the police the keys to one's house - here in the Gorbals (where I live apparently) they just kick the door in
    Keys - is mandatory point in agreement for guarding service by city police.

Liked

For businesses I think it's imperative to have a landline.

Landlines are useful to call a place; before I go to a sauna in Bangkok that is way out I usually call (after having traveled all the way to find a place closed), and then I want to know if the place/business is open, and don't care who is answering the call. Whereas with a mobile number you call a person.

Rarely problems with call quality on mobile here in Thailand (or I don't notice because there is background noise on my side or the other).

...that's why I hesitate to dump my landline even though it costs me around £250 a yr in rental alone
    That's awfully expensive!