Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Restaurants near BT and Sunee

Liked

Re: Restaurants near BT and Sunee

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2 View Post
    I mostly eat Thai food even on the Pattaya leg of our Thailand visit (and even after the Issan rice, rice and rice) ... "
    Isaan ain't the only area where Rice Rules.
    We once stopped at a charming little Hotel in Lol Buri [edit: Lopburi] for the night, having seen just about enough bloody monkeys for a life time. For a place which was immaculately clean, a large room, a swimming pool and breakfast included for 400 baht I thought some sort of jackpot had been breached!
    Had a nice walk down a river, an excellent dinner across the road in a funky little restaurant, a little bit of spanking the monkey here and there (the bedroom was a great for such nonsense... one could move about with acrobatic ease) before hitting the hay.

Next morning a large room off to the right contained the breakfast buffet and we headed for the table in the middle of the room upon which was displayed five or six gleeming covered pots ... the kind which open upwards and which I love opening them slowly in order to be greeted with the delish inside, loving surprises.

~ First cover opened: steamed rice. OK that's cool, a normal Thai side dish to accompany the Full Monty.
    ~ Second cover opened: fried rice. OK I like fried rice, every so often. I especially enjoy fried chicken mixed in. In this one, just rice.
    ~ Third cover opened: rice soup. OK I do like rice soup when it has numerous vegetables and some pork ribs swimming. But this version was rice in hot water.
    ~ Forth cover opened: little individual plastic bags of sticky rice. This one was new to me as normally sticky rice is accompanied by Som Tum or BBQ'ed chicken drum sticks. And includes a few different types of sauces. Here ... nada.
    ~ Fifth and final cover opened: steamed rice. We had come full circle ... I felt like I was in Ulysses with James Joyce being the chef.

There was, to be honest, a tiny cheap toaster sitting beside a coffee machine dripping luke warm coffee.
    I ended up having coffee and fried rice on toast.
    Last edited by christianpfc; December 12th, 2017 at 19:18. Reason: spelling
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (December 5th, 2017), joe552 (December 5th, 2017), snotface (December 5th, 2017)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    With the exception of Surfcrest, those who crossed Neal always ended up the loser.
    Really? I thought my spoof blog "Fat Boy Sawatdee" was rather good. Neal blustered about legal action but Wordpress just laughed in his face (although they did take the blog down) so I don't consider that I ended up the loser

Liked

Rice rules, ok?

I only ever eat Asian food - apart from the odd slice of bread with Vegemite - so I eat rice every day.

Although I like Thai jasmine rice, the Japanese "koshihikari" or 'sasanishiki " rice is the most delicious, in my humble, albeit biased, opinion.

Liked

a447, The Rice Queen diaries ring any bells?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

6. User who gave Like to post:

a447 (December 5th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    Rice rules, ok?

I only ever eat Asian food - apart from the odd slice of bread with Vegemite - so I eat rice every day.

You mean when in Thailand or also in Australia?

Liked

One thing I found very weird on returning to Australia is the fact that Aussies eat rice pudding!

Steamed rice and sugar!

OMG!

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    One thing I found very weird on returning to Australia is the fact that Aussies eat rice pudding!
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/25386...e-pudding.aspx Yum, yum

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    You mean when in Thailand or also in Australia?
    Everywhere - here and overseas (except France) - unless we go out to a restaurant and it is someone else's turn to choose.

When in Germany I head straight for the local Vietnamese or Chinese restaurant.

Nowhere in Europe does decent Japanese.

Fuji in Thailand is pretty good.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    Isaan ain't the only area where Rice Rules.
    We once stopped at a charming little Hotel in Lol Buri for the night, having seen just about enough bloody monkeys for a life time.
    From the monkey reference I'm assuming we're talking about Lopburi. I'm reminded of a stay there a few years ago. I doubt whether it was the same hotel because the breakfast fare, though somewhat sparse, consisted of more than just rice variously cooked. It was mainly Asian food as befitted a Thai provincial hotel but I was relieved to note that at least they had fried eggs on a hotplate. There were also those sickly pink truncated chipolata thingies but I don't count them as food (well, okay, if I was literally starving I might eat them in marginal preference to cockroaches). So I took a couple of fried eggs and a cup of very weak tea to my table. Very quickly I realised that the eggs were stone bonking cold. Now take my word for it, stone cold fried eggs do not set you up for the vicissitudes of the day ahead. They don't, they really don't. They just lie there all rubbery, dismally challenging you to try to eat them. Actually, on looking round the room, I noticed that the Asian guests who weren't slurping rice soup seemed to be tucking into their fried eggs quite happily. Perhaps it's a cultural thing. Anyway one bite was quite enough for me. I think I may have found some tasteless white bread to toast and break my fast with.

On the way out I mentioned to the friendly dining-room manager that the eggs were cold. I said it in as neutral tone as I could manage but a fellow Englishman might have detected the merest hint of criticism. The manager thought I was being complimentary. With a big smile he said, 'Yes, we make them last night!'

12. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (December 5th, 2017), christianpfc (December 12th, 2017), joe552 (December 5th, 2017), Smiles (December 6th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    That's the one! Baked rice pudding.

I should have guessed it was English.