Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don Mueang

Liked

Re: Don Mueang

I have three trips booked over the next few months, all from DM. Great news; thanks. I just hope that the ever-resourceful taxi-drivers will quickly find a new route. Or that Air Asia transfers to Swampy...which seems unlikley!

Liked

If Air Asia moved to swampy it's fares would go through the roof.

So very unlikely.

Liked

Yea, sorry to be the bearer of bad news Oliver but forewarned is forearmed.

Liked

My only real memories of DM are back in the days of my first visits to Thailand, and saying goodbye to my little man in the upstairs bar (and of course, handing over whatever Thai cash I had left in my pocket - except for the departure tax, and the price of a few beers). They had a smoking area just outside the terminal, with seats, and I'd get a couple of cans of beer and just bask in the sun, remembering all the good times I'd just had. Ah, happy days!
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

You can get to Don Mueang by train, takes about 1 hour and is very cheap, between 5 and 20 THB depending on class of train. Not suitable if you have a lot of luggage.

7. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (November 9th, 2017)

Liked

Not for my benefit, christian, but where in BKK does the train leave from? Or if you're in one of your TEFL moods - from where in BKK does the train leave?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I have three trips booked over the next few months, all from DM. Great news; thanks. I just hope that the ever-resourceful taxi-drivers will quickly find a new route. Or that Air Asia transfers to Swampy...which seems unlikley!
    Oliver......I assume these Air Asia flights are for beyond the Thailand borders? The reason I ask is all the recent internal Thai flights I have checked out to Phuket (Sept 17) Khon Kaen and Chiang Mai for Feb 18 have been cheaper/same-as from Suvarnabhumi with smilethaiair (Thaiair subsidiary) compared to Air Asia/Nok Air from Don Muang.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2 View Post
    Oliver......I assume these Air Asia flights are for beyond the Thailand borders? The reason I ask is all the recent internal Thai flights I have checked out to Phuket (Sept 17) Khon Kaen and Chiang Mai for Feb 18 have been cheaper/same-as from Suvarnabhumi with smilethaiair (Thaiair subsidiary) compared to Air Asia/Nok Air from Don Muang.
    No, I think Air Asia and a few other budget airlines operate exclusively out of Don Mueang be it for domestic or international routes.

I read somewhere that Smile took over TG's domestic flights originally operating out of Suwannaphum and it wouldn't be convenient for TG's international passengers to have to change airports to make their connecting domestic flights now. They're basically taking care of their own and they can do it because they are the same company and being the national airline, I assume TG has special privileges at Suwannaphum.
    Last edited by sglad; November 10th, 2017 at 03:30.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    No, I think Air Asia and a few other budget airlines operate exclusively out of Don Mueang be it for domestic or international routes.

I read somewhere that Smile took over TG's domestic flights originally operating out of Suwannaphum and it wouldn't be convenient for TG's international passengers to have to change airports to make their connecting domestic flights now. They're basically taking care of their own and they can do it because they are the same company and being the national airline, I assume TG has special privileges at Suwannaphum.
    You may have misread my post slightly, I wasn't suggesting Air Asia/Nok fly out of Suvarnabhumi, I said that I assumed Oliver's flights from Don Munag to be international (beyond Thailand's borders).......but if the flights were internal then when checking dates for my own flights I found that thaisamileair flying from Suvarnabhumi was cheaper/same-as AirAsia/Nok flying internal from Don Muang. So if suvarnabhumi was easier to get to, one might be unlikely to lose out on internal flight costs using smilethaiair.

Correct regarding Thaiair and smilethaiair, but what I expected when checking flights is that they would probably be more expensive flying out of Suvarnabhumi compared to those from Don Muang. But found my recent check on flights to Khon Kaen to be more expensive from Don Muang on the other carriers. (depending on dates of course).