Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping in the villages...

Banned
    Liked

Re: Sleeping in the villages...

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Only issue with that is, I'm blind. Could anyone be so kind to textually explain that photo to me?
    So you can't actually see the photo of yourself that you've uploaded to the Forum?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    So you can't actually see the photo of yourself that you've uploaded to the Forum?

What??? So the photo Justagu uploaded is that of myself and Leo that I previously uploaded?

Don't be a dick, I'm actually blind. It's not nice.

No, I couldn't see the photo of Leo and myself I posted. He took it, so he could brag to his friends on Facebook about catching a farang husband who isn't 70 years old and 280lbs. Then I read that post from FarangRuuMak telling me basically "post a photo or shut up", so I asked Leo to e-mail me the photo he took. Got an e-mail attached with an image from him, so I uploaded it.

You're right, it could have been a photo of Yoda and Darth Vader having a saber battle, and I wouldn't have known the wiser. However, for some strange reason, I trust Leo quite a bit.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    I'm sure justaguy will do a better job, but just to get you started, Matt. It's a 2 storey structure. The ground floor is open, and looks to be used for storage. The upper floor is the living quarters. There's an outside staircase to the right of the building leading to the living quarters. It's hard to tell what that looks like. Hopes this helps a bit.

Ohhh, thanks Joe. So a decent 2 storey house? That sounds comfortable enough. Definitely more comfortable than a tin garden shed, or an elevated room made out of bamboo in a mud pit.

Liked

No I wouldn't describe it as a 2 storey house. I used the word structure. There's only one floor of living space, which I can't describe, 'cos the photo is taken from ground level. But the rooms seem quite open, at least on the side from which the photo is taken.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

A typical wooden house on stilts. To the left is the kitchen (with another ladder not visisble). To the right is indeed the living quarters, the 'wall' visible is what separates the living quarters from the sleeping area.

Indeed the front is open. The back is not.

6. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (November 25th, 2017)

Liked

Ohhh, thanks Joe. So a decent 2 storey house? That sounds comfortable enough. Definitely more comfortable than a tin garden shed, or an elevated room made out of bamboo in a mud pit.
    Yes, Matt, a lovely two storey house.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    A typical wooden house on stilts. To the left is the kitchen (with another ladder not visisble). To the right is indeed the living quarters, the 'wall' visible is what separates the living quarters from the sleeping area.

Indeed the front is open. The back is not.

Ok, I think I have a good idea. May I ask, how were the insects at night?

I guess you were elevated, hence probably no worries about millipedes, scorpions, etc. However, what about ants, spiders, mice, etc.?

How was the temperature while sleeping? I'm assuming you basically slept on the bamboo floor with just one of those straw Issan mats as a mattress? Wasn't that quite unconfortable?

I guess my main question is, do you actually get decent sleeps, or just power naps for days until you make your way back to a comfortable bed?

Liked

Ok, I think I have a good idea. May I ask, how were the insects at night?

I guess you were elevated, hence probably no worries about millipedes, scorpions, etc. However, what about ants, spiders, mice, etc.?

How was the temperature while sleeping? I'm assuming you basically slept on the bamboo floor with just one of those straw Issan mats as a mattress? Wasn't that quite unconfortable?

I guess my main question is, do you actually get decent sleeps, or just power naps for days until you make your way back to a comfortable bed?
    We sleep behind the wooden wall visible on the photo. We usually sleep at the right hand side of the house, on a thin mattress under a mosquito net, that part sleeps three, my boyfriend, me and one of my boyfriend's brothers. On ocassions, I have also slept in the open living quarters.

This setup is comfortable enough for me, and I usually sleep from midnight until 5.30 or thereabouts. Sometimes longer due to the amount of beerlao or lao whiskey the previous night..

Insects have never bothered me. As to the temperature, there obviously is no airco, just a fan sometimes. It never bothered me. Last two songkrans it bothered me once, songkran 2016 was extremely hot. So hot that when I woke up, the house was empty. When I went to search for everyone, they were all under the house, because it was less hot there !

This years Songkran was no pfoblem.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

cdnmatt (November 26th, 2017), Tintin (November 26th, 2017)

Liked

justaguy,where is the toilet located ?

Liked

Well.. The first few times I went there, the toilet was anywhere outside. Later on they did build a toilet/shower room. I personally hardly ever go in there, the jungle is good enough for relief

Anyway, that toilet/shower is about 20 meters away from the house.