Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping in the villages...

Liked

Re: Sleeping in the villages...

Matt's novel is full of strange twists, I'll give him that.
    ..........and that's the way it is.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    colmx, I think you're exactly right. That's just the kind of place I stayed in up at Si Saket.

Matt/s idea of camping out is just ridiculous.

Why? Just because it's a tad eccentric, doesn't make it ridiculous.

I could easily argue that it's extremely rude that come say 6pm you basically tell your father-in-law, "your house sucks, so I'm taking your son to a hotel, and see you tomorrow for lunch". That seems quite rude to me.

And the father has tons of land. I've never been there before, but do know his farm produces about 11 tonnes of rice per-harvest, which makes it a massive farm. No reason I can't pitch a tent somewhere close. That way, I get to sleep in an enclosed area without all the insects, plus get an air mattress instead of a cement floor.

Plus in that case I'm happy to hang out there 24x7 for days, instead of disappearing to a hotel each afternoon. When Leo says we need to visit the family, instead of thinking to myself, "oh shit, I gate the village" I will think, "fuck yeah, camping trip!".

Liked

Not sure why anyone is giving Cndmatt advice on this camping-out-in-Lao nonsense. This is NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!
    It's simply Cndmatt's never-ending self-absorption kicking into high gear. As he mentions in the post above Cndmatt sees himself as "eccentric". I suggest a more down-to-earth characteristic ... more Fantasy Island twee.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

4. User who gave Like to post:

a447 (November 18th, 2017)

Liked

Well, then what do you do Smiles? You must have in-laws, right? And if I remember correctly, they're close to Surin, correct? So day trips are out, as Hua Hin to Surin is too far.

Are the in-laws maybe well off, and already have a comfortable house with extra spare room for Pot and yourself? Or have you maybe already built them a house, and ensured there was an extra bedroom for Pot and do yourself? Or do you guys just stay at a hotel, and only see the family during the day, or?

Do tell...

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

cndmatt and those that post as if he were real make a joke of this board as do those that have authority to do something and continue to do nothing about this charade.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    cndmatt and those that post as if he were real make a joke of this board as do those that have authority to do something and continue to do nothing about this charade.

You guys are just being old and bitchy again.

It's actually a good idea, and even Leo thinks so as well. Then if I get really lucky, we'll be close enough to his father's house to string an extension cord, and I'll even have electricity. Gather some rocks to make a little fire pit, get a cooler full of beer, pop, hot dogs, etc., grab some lawn chairs, etc... and I'm good to go. Leo can take off to visit his friends, and I'll be just fine hanging out there, will tether my phone so I have internet, will have lots of drinks and food on hand, won't have to bother his father, and so on.

It's actually a good idea. You guys are just being old.

Liked

My reply to this thread just means that I find the subject interesting, not that I think the question is genuine.

Most of the time I travel I stay in hotels in the 300-500 THB price range, and mostly in provincial capitals.

The few exceptions are: Sakon Nakon (staying at the abbot of a wat's place, comparable standard to hotel);

a long-time Thai friend in Srisaket (Kantararom, about 10 km out of town), I got my own room with a bed with mattrass, the first time I went there in 2014 (?) only cold water for shower, now hot as well, but there is little chance I will go again (nothing to do in the village, and it finally turned out my friend is not out to his family whereas I was hoping he could organize some village boys for sex, and being dependent on him for transport from/to railway or bus station);

my friends in Nakon Sawan (Chum Saeng, about 10 km out of town), bedroom ok:
    DSC03782.jpg
    bathroom a bit basic:
    DSC03785.jpg

and ultimately sleeping at "Burmese Woman's" place in a refuge camp in Tak province:
    DSC00793.jpg

DSC00788.jpg

DSC00787.jpg

That would be the standard of living I would expect in a Lao village. Bummer you can't see the pictures!

No problems with animals at any of these places. My problems are completely different: I want to set the aircon temperature and I want all lights off when I sleep.

9. 4 Users gave Like to post:

joe552 (November 18th, 2017), Smiles (November 18th, 2017), Tintin (November 18th, 2017), whiteonrice (November 18th, 2017)

Liked

Confirmed again with Leo this afternoon, this is actually a good idea. You guys are just being old.

From what Leo describes, it's a massive farm, but his father's house is the equivalent of a tin garden shed, so no, I don't want to sleep there. At least let me bring an enclosed tent with air mattress, let me make a fiew, let me roast some marshmallows with the village kids that I'm sure will come around when they see the farang, etc. Should be fun. Much better than moaning, and thinking, "oh shit, a village trip".

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    I'll be able to tell if the mother has a good relationship with them, or is constantly screaming at them to settle down and quit being shitheads. )
    Good attitude for a potential foster parent...suppose you won’t have them if they behave like a shithead, even for a few minutes?

Don’t forget it is YOU that is also under scrutiny, wanting to foster THEIR kids. All I have read about for far is how this will affect me, Me, ME...

You know, I’m not sure I would be happy to let you look after my cat for a day!
    Last edited by gerefan2; November 19th, 2017 at 02:09.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    .. I don't want to sleep on his mother's floor on one of those little straw mats, while having cockroaches, ants, and mice crawl all over me while I sleep. No thanks, I'll go hang out in my tend with my comfortable air mattress.

?
    They are poor and probably very House proud of what they can provide....