Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
Welcome Back NIrish - your thinking concurs with mine - except I really don't think you could "defy" the conditions of a Visitor Visa and just get married anyway - I'm sure the Registrar would ask to see his Visa either before the ceremony or when it came to registration.
Actually scotty you're wrong to be so sure as a simple Internet search using the phrase "can I marry on a visitor visa in the uk" will show. Here's an answer from one such site in the results, which sets out the situation in full. I have bolded a specific section for you

"Under UK's marriage law, a tourist can get legally married. But under the immigration rules, non-EEA citizen wishing to marry and then leave UK will have to get marriage visitor visa, which has to be obtained in advance. This alpplies to all regardless of whether they need a visitor visa (i.e. visa and non-visa nationals).

What the solicitor said is also (partly) true. The rules say that you cannot enter UK as a general visitor with the intention of getting married. But if someone decides to have a quick marriage after entering UK, there's nothing to stop them.

Register offices have to follow marriage law but it's not their job to enforce immigration rules. Some registrars refuse to proceed with legal preliminaries to a marriage (giving notice etc) without seeing an appropriate visa in the non-EEA citizen's passport. Others are less concerned.

To marry and then to stay on (settle) in UK, fiancé(e) visa is essential. Without it, the non-EEA spouse has to leave UK and apply for spouse visa from their country of residence."

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/bri...ance-visa.html