Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Visa Success At Last!

Banned
    Liked

Re: Visa Success At Last!

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    He loves the snow in itself but is a little disappointed by the restrictions it causes. This weekend we are off to Ben Nevis area for a few days and he is going to have a ski-ing lesson or two - that's assuming I can get the car out of my driveway tomorrow!!
    Is he impressed by your Loch Ness monster?

Liked

We cruised Loch Ness on the murky and brooding Sunday (in a boat I hasten to add).

No monsters were sighted other than a blue fluffy one at £15.00 which I was obliged to purchase onboard for him

Liked

Re. Your prospective father-in-laws trip to Spain. That is certainly interesting and I look forward to reading about it.

Re. The purchase of a cuddly toy. May I ask how old this young man is?
    Last edited by christianpfc; March 10th, 2018 at 11:24. Reason: typo Spsin -> Spain

Liked

He loves the snow in itself but is a little disappointed by the restrictions it causes.

This weekend we are off to Ben Nevis area for a few days and he is going to have a ski-ing lesson or two - that's assuming I can get the car out of my driveway tomorrow!!
    I doubt Vietnam has much skiing, so trying it in Scotland must be a good experience. How did he get on ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yes - on the surface - but I'm getting conflicting info from the Immigration lawyer to the effect that it has to be applied for outside the UK whereas the website suggests you can apply whilst IN the UK as long as you have 28 days left on your existing visa.
    From general info that I've read re that over the year I believe that your solicitor is correct - well, both opinions are correct HOWEVER whilst you CAN technically apply for a marriage visa whilst here in the UK on a Tourist Visa and there's nothing that immigration can do to stop that and in fact you could even get married whilst here, that doesn't apparently give your spouse an automatic right to reside here with you and apparently if immigration have seen that you've tried to use that particular loop hole to try and circumvent their preferred system they take a very dim view of it and do then go out of their way then to refuse your spouse or make life a LOT more difficult for then in general.

Their advice is very clear I believe re this in that they say you should ( MUST) return to your own Country and apply for the marriage visa FROM THERE and wait for their normal processes to follow and you should not use the Tourist visa they kindly granted you ( especially if a first issue one) to then try and play smart with them.

So I think your solicitor is spot on in this regard.

Liked

Welcome Back NIrish - your thinking concurs with mine - except I really don't think you could "defy" the conditions of a Visitor Visa and just get married anyway - I'm sure the Registrar would ask to see his Visa either before the ceremony or when it came to registration.

Having said that, I'm prepared to consider the use every loophole I can find. You do read about people being allowed to stay because e.g. they have a cat dependent on them but I guess that's just Daily Mail crap.

We have made contact with Vietnamese in Glasgow but since there's not a single one of them came here legally they have not been of much help!! Their tactic seems to be to get pregnant if female or to inseminate a woman if male, and thereby they become entitled to stay because the resultant baby is born British.

Goji - he enjoyed the ski-ing but I don't think it's something he wants to do again - but I'm happy that he had the experience.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Welcome Back NIrish - ..........- except I really don't think you could "defy" the conditions of a Visitor Visa and just get married anyway
    ? I wasn't away anywhere, I just decided to reduce / stop posting here so much (hurrah I hear from some :-) unless it's something important like this or there's some pics attached to posts you've to be logged in to see and then I'll happily log in to view same.

Re your "I dont think you could just get married"etc - apparently yes you absolutely can - immigration can't stop you getting married BUT being married DOES NOT grant you automatic right to residence I believe and THAT is where they then go out of their way to make life hard for you if you've broken or tried to bend their rules so I think doing it "by their book" IS the best way for sure and they'll see and appreciate the fact you did do that and I'm sure at some level that's bound to get you some brownie points somehow.

Banned
    Liked

Welcome Back NIrish - your thinking concurs with mine - except I really don't think you could "defy" the conditions of a Visitor Visa and just get married anyway - I'm sure the Registrar would ask to see his Visa either before the ceremony or when it came to registration.
    Actually scotty you're wrong to be so sure as a simple Internet search using the phrase "can I marry on a visitor visa in the uk" will show. Here's an answer from one such site in the results, which sets out the situation in full. I have bolded a specific section for you

"Under UK's marriage law, a tourist can get legally married. But under the immigration rules, non-EEA citizen wishing to marry and then leave UK will have to get marriage visitor visa, which has to be obtained in advance. This alpplies to all regardless of whether they need a visitor visa (i.e. visa and non-visa nationals).

What the solicitor said is also (partly) true. The rules say that you cannot enter UK as a general visitor with the intention of getting married. But if someone decides to have a quick marriage after entering UK, there's nothing to stop them.

Register offices have to follow marriage law but it's not their job to enforce immigration rules. Some registrars refuse to proceed with legal preliminaries to a marriage (giving notice etc) without seeing an appropriate visa in the non-EEA citizen's passport. Others are less concerned.

To marry and then to stay on (settle) in UK, fiancé(e) visa is essential. Without it, the non-EEA spouse has to leave UK and apply for spouse visa from their country of residence."

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/bri...ance-visa.html

Liked

Their tactic seems to be to get pregnant if female or to inseminate a woman if male, and thereby they become entitled to stay because the resultant baby is born British.
    Our government needs to shut the door on that loophole. Particularly with the Taliban sympathizers.
    Keep immigration for people who arrive legally & have good prospects of integrating into our society.

Liked

Frequent - your research (thanks for that) has thrown up a very interesting possible scenario:

The most difficult part of applying for a Fiance visa is proving the relationship - but if you are correct and despite the UK Govt declaring you cannot marry on a Visitor Visa you did it anyway then it would not be a Fiance Visa one would be seeking but a Spouse Visa, right? And if you are actually married might it be a tad more difficult for the Home Office to deny that you are in a relationship?