List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing threads - would you ever stop it !

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Closing threads - would you ever stop it !

As this area is for comments / suggestions on the forum etc can I make this request - would you ( Moses in this case) ever stop just randomly closing threads just because YOU dont like something - I accept of course it's your board and you're able and entitled too etc but I thought the whole point after Neal is that wouldn't be happening again.

The thread re Matt for example - 10 pages of posts, people contributing ! that's SURELY what we want !- and that including Matt so he was certainly up for it and able to handle himself it seems ! - Some posters agreed and supported him and some not so much, but from what I read no one was breaking any rules or coming out with anything to crazy and meanwhile, on a whim BOOM, thread closed. Whats the point of people bothering to contribute in whatever way they chose for a thread just to be shit down the second a Mod / Moses chooses too ( and again I respect they have the right) but surely it's not what we all wanted or thought we were going to have to deal with again post Neal ? it's a real shitty way to end a thread for no particular reason other that the Mod / owner is boring with it.

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (November 16th, 2017), francois (November 23rd, 2017), Smiles (November 16th, 2017)

Liked

Closing threads for NO good reason on SGT...thin end of the wedge.

I thought SGT had got over this whim of owner/mod closing down a thread for no reason. THAT is the very thing which will put members off contributing. Nothing will turn members off more than locking/deleting for no good reason. It shows a lack of respect for those members who have made the effort to log-on, read and use their time to make a post. If you have grown tired of a thread Moses, don't read it. It has 1300 views 90+ posts, it is popular, it is attracting interest, so not only should it not be closed it should probably be on the front page.

While locking a thread on nothing more than a personal whim would be no reason to quit a forum or stop posting entirely, it is enough for me to think twice about using my time to start a thread or make a post only to have it locked for no reason. I cut back severely posting under the last owner who nit-picked his way though posts, which only made me think "why should I bother" Not sure why Joe felt the need to request it locked. Nobody has requested any of his threads to be locked. It is NOT a good turn of events or direction for the forum.

"Looks like and endless story...lets just stop it". What kind of an explanation is that? No reason, no logic, nothing! Complete nonsense.

I refer to the thread "Do you believe cdnmatts stories.

4. 5 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (November 16th, 2017), francois (November 23rd, 2017), Patanawet (November 16th, 2017), sglad (November 17th, 2017), Smiles (November 16th, 2017)

Liked

Re: Closing threads for NO good reason on SGT...thin end of the wedge.

newalaan, I felt the thread had run it's course, and whoever wanted to comment had ample time to do so.I think you're over-reacting.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    newalaan, I felt the thread had run it's course, and whoever wanted to comment has ample time to do so.I think you over-reacting.
    With all due respect Joe, a thread will simply run out of steam and fall down the list if it has 'run it's course' the natural way, if members are continuing to contribute posts then it clearly has not 'run it's course'. I don't understand 'ample time to comment' . It is on-going, contributors respond to the new posts.

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Patanawet (November 16th, 2017), sglad (November 17th, 2017)

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

The thread was started as a poll, which are normally closed after a period.

Liked

I'm with Newalaan on this. Let the membership decide. It's not Moses' decision to make.

When the membership gets bored of the thread, we'll naturally let it die. Simple as....

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I've already posted elsewhere on the board supporting Newalans view, it's a sad day here when threads are closed just because someone randomly decides they're finished. Surely unless some rules are being broken in a serious way a thread is finished when posters decide to stop posting / reading it - and as that thread ( Matt's) was over 10 pages long that OBVIOUSLY wasn't the case. As New Alan says it's a slippery slope to start down and like grammar nazi'ing is one that should be nipped in the bud before it's allowed to become the norm. ( I feel anyway).

This was my post re that in the feedback forum re that ( in case I put it in the wrong place) ....
    As this area is for comments / suggestions on the forum etc can I make this request - would you ( Moses in this case) ever stop just randomly closing threads just because YOU dont like something - I accept of course it's your board and you're able and entitled too etc but I thought the whole point after Neal is that wouldn't be happening again.

The thread re Matt for example - 10 pages of posts, people contributing ! that's SURELY what we want !- and that including Matt so he was certainly up for it and able to handle himself it seems ! - Some posters agreed and supported him and some not so much, but from what I read no one was breaking any rules or coming out with anything to crazy and meanwhile, on a whim BOOM, thread closed. Whats the point of people bothering to contribute in whatever way they chose for a thread just to be shut down the second a Mod / Moses chooses too ( and again I respect they have the right) but surely it's not what we all wanted or thought we were going to have to deal with again post Neal ? it's a really shitty way to end a thread for no particular reason other that the Mod / owner is bored with it or doesn't like the views being expressed.

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    The thread was started as a poll, which are normally closed after a period.
    Yes there was a suggestion regarding the poll very early on in the thread in that the 'poll part' had been left open longer than normal, which I think Christian did reply to. But for me the poll is now pretty irrelevant, but surely the thread can keep running if there is sufficient interest.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    I'm with Newalaan on this. Let the membership decide. It's not Moses' decision to make.

When the membership gets bored of the thread, we'll naturally let it die. Simple as....
    No cdnmatt, it IS moses decision...what I am saying is I personally think it is wrong.

Apologies to Nirsh guy, I didn't realise you had started a thread already. I agree with your post.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2 View Post
    No cdnmatt, it IS moses decision...what I am saying is I personally think it is wrong.

Apologies to Nirsh guy, I didn't realise you had started a thread already. I agree with your post.

Yeah, technically it's Moses' decision, as he does pay the server bill, and has access to that "Lock Thread" button.

However, realistically, it's not his decision if he wants a thriving board full of participating members. That part is up to us as members, and judging from this thread alone, he just pissed off a fair amount of people. He may want to think twice about doing that. He could have just let the thread run for another couple days, after which I'm sure everyone would have gotten bored, and let it die naturally. Instead, he locked it, causing a whole new bitchfest that we have now.

Every action has a reaction...