Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Investment tips for Thai boys?

Liked

Re: Investment tips for Thai boys?

But I'm sure I was at the wedding reception. We had cake and everything.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

See, this is why your going to KK could never be taken as "proof" of anything, as there you go, you'd had a beer or two perhaps tonight and ALREADY you think you've been to his wedding, had cake, fucked the best man and got away without even bringing a present ! All poor Matt and his non husband has to do is ply you with a few champagne cocktails and by god you'll come back singing any old song they / he / his wife ( who turns up to take him home when you're pissed and you think it's his landlady) tells you.

I fear Joe you're going to have to lay off the sauce entirely for the duration of your trip if we're going to take your sworn witness statement with any credibility at all - for a least a week and maybe even TWO !

3. 4 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (November 16th, 2017), bobsaigon2 (November 16th, 2017), colmx (November 16th, 2017), joe552 (November 16th, 2017)

Liked

Seems a bit harsh, NIrish, but I take your point.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I was sort of joking - dont worry just only one week off it will do, as I mean you ARE on your holidays and all !

Liked

Even a week is a bit of a stretch

Liked

Vanguard is a good choice but 15% is optimistic. Over time, I think 8% (still well above bank interest) is realistic.
    Encouraging a "market linked" investment is a good idea. He can add to the investment when he (or you) have some spare cash. The money is available (but not instantly) if required.

Liked

haha, this board is pretty funny. Joe, I think upon arrival at the bus station in Khon Kaen we're going to have to do a video broadcast for all SGT members of you taking the oath with your right hand on the bible, swearing to tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Apparently, that's what the board has devolved into.

@nitnoi -- Thanks, and yeah, assuming he's not going to touch that money for a good 5 years, I think Vanguard is a pretty safe bet. I've only played the markets once in my life, and had my ass handed to be quite badly, so that's out.

He has no intention of spending that money anytime soon. That's what I'm for, haha. I guess he's planning to buy a motorbike once we get to Vientiane, but I think I'll just be a nice guy, and buy him one out of my money. That way I can sleep each night knowing he has a nice little nest egg tucked away in case something ever happens to me.

He says he's getting 4% right now, but that simply can't be right. Either his money is already invested in some kind of mutual fund, or he's just wrong, and I'm assuming it's the latter. Anyway, thanks. Will pull up some Vanguard charts later today, and show him, and try to convince him to flip the funds into it. Then whenever he has an extra 20 - 30k sitting in his savings account, he can just call the bank, and ask them to flip it over into his Vanguard investment.

Seems like a good plan to me at least.

Liked

OK, I'll bite ... (now it's Matt the Investment Manager is it. Now that's funny! I wish I could take this Canadian dude seriously, but it's difficult. He makes it nigh impossible.)

Some few years ago I got Pot to put some money into common shares of the Krung Thai Bank. The main Thailand banks left standing after 1997 have re-worked themselves into a much more cautious, conservative, and safer environment 20 years later.
    He's made only small capital gains on that trade (though lately it has gone horizonal), but I said to him the dividend at 4.6% makes it a hold-&-forget over years.
    A few of the Thai banks had slightly better fundamentals but not by much, so after discussion he went with a larger dividend.

He put his own money up (his tour/taxi business is quite lucrative) and I matched him baht for baht ... but it's all his. He's happy.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

What's the mocking about, Smiles? You do know that Vanguard is where stupid people that don't understand the markets put their money, right?

For example, Vanguard 100 World Index fund? That means you're investing in the top 100 companies in the world, and guys like Google, Apple, Exxon and Boeing turning a profit is a pretty safe bet.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    What's the mocking about, Smiles? You do know that Vanguard is where stupid people that don't understand the markets put their money, right?
    For example, Vanguard 100 World Index fund? That means you're investing in the top 100 companies in the world, and guys like Google, Apple, Exxon and Boeing turning a profit is a pretty safe bet.
    I wasn't 'mocking' the Vanguard idea. It's Mutual Funds and ETF's cover every sort of investment you could imagine. Not a bad idea at all.

Anyway, I tried looking up the name "Vanguard 100 World Index Fund" on the Vanguard website and couldn't find it. Is it a Mutual Fund or an ETF? Are you sure you got the name correctly?
    If it's a mutual fund then often they have a quite hefty MER, which comes right off the top of your investment ... annually. So not cheap at the end of the day. ETF's are kind of like a poor man's mutual fund, the fees are lower across the board.
    Generally I prefer individual stocks over funds: more liquid, small one-time trading fees, more fun.

The 'mocking' was specifically towards you in general (a hobby of mine ), not your investment idea.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand