Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Investment tips for Thai boys?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Investment tips for Thai boys?

Which account is paying him 4%? My Thai bank is only paying 1.5%, perhaps he is the one that should be giving the tips.

Liked

Re: Investment tips for Thai boys?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    Which account is paying him 4%? My Thai bank is only paying 1.5%, perhaps he is the one that should be giving the tips.
    Yeah, I don't quite believe the 4% either, as that seems too high to me. I think your average savings account in Canada gives about 1.5% annual interest, which doesn't even cover inflation, so you're actually losing money.

Anyway, he has about 95,000 baht in his account, and believe it or not, only about 20% of that came from me. He's a good little saver!

He treats that money as long-term savings, and as though it doesn't even exist, which is great in my mind. I even managed to convince him a while back to NOT get a bank card for that account, and he heeded that advice.

However, it's still just sitting in a typical savings account. Assuming he's not willing to touch that money for a good 5 years, and considering neither of us know anything about the markets, I think one of the Vanguard funds is probably fat better than a typical savings account, correct? As long as he doesn't need that money in the next 5 years, it will surely appreciate far more in a Vanguard World Index Fund than in a savings account, right?

Again, we're only talking 95,000 baht, so not a huge amount, but enough to get out of a savings account if you're treating that money as long-term savings.