Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thailand..meaning

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Thailand..meaning

Yes, Matt. The US is not Utopia. Nor is Thailand. Nor is Laos.......

No life insurance because you're only 36 and you are guaranteed to live for several more decades and you don't want Leo to murder you. I understand.

2. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (November 17th, 2017)

Liked

The murder thing was a joke, Bob.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I know the murder thing was a joke, Matt. The life insurance is not a joke.

You did not expect, a few years ago, to lose your sight. You can not be sure that next year or next week you will not lose your life.

Leaving Leo + adopted children + dogs without a means of support. OK, I didn't get life insurance till I was married when I was 32. So, now you are 'married' and you need to make sure your spouse and dependents are provided for if you pre-decease.

It sort of destroys the expectation of immortality, doesn't it? But that's life. Eventually it's a terminal condition. For all of us.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    I've been lucky to have visited some great sites - the Grand Palace in Bangkok, Preah Vihar; on The Cambodian border, places like Koh Chang and Koh Samet. And now a trip to Khon Kaen. Thailand is full of surprises.
    Yes, that will be a big surprise.

Liked

@Bob -- Yeah, true enough. Right now, I'm not too worried about it, but if / when those kids end up under our care, then obviously that will completely change things, including my entire outlook on life, and I'll ensure to act appropriately and responsibly.

I don't have life insurance, but months ago I did send my oldest brother a message with instructions to forward it to Leo in case something happens to me. It details how to access my bitcoin, and provides instructions on how to flip it over to Laos Kip into his bank account. It's not much, but best I have right now.

Still have a whole lot of other hurdles to jump over first before I begin worrying about that stuff. I'll ensure it's taken care of when the time comes though.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

OK, Matt. I'm not being critical. Just trying to state some basic considerations for the head of a household. All I can say to you and Leo now is bon voyage, bon appetite, and bonne chance.

8. User who gave Like to post:

cdnmatt (November 17th, 2017)

Liked

Matt, I think bob's suggestion of life insurance is eminently sensible. It's not as expensive as a motorbike, but would provide Leo with a bit of support if something happens to you. I have a small insurance policy that comes with my Credit Union account, which should cover most of my funeral expenses.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon2 View Post
    I know the murder thing was a joke, Matt. The life insurance is not a joke.

You did not expect, a few years ago, to lose your sight. You can not be sure that next year or next week you will not lose your life.

Leaving Leo + adopted children + dogs without a means of support. OK, I didn't get life insurance till I was married when I was 32. So, now you are 'married' and you need to make sure your spouse and dependents are provided for if you pre-decease.

It sort of destroys the expectation of immortality, doesn't it? But that's life. Eventually it's a terminal condition. For all of us.
    Sounds like good advice and the grandfatherly concern is sweet. Seems like you're treating cdnmatt as a real person but what about when you change your mind tomorrow and start to question his authenticity?

11. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (November 18th, 2017)

Liked

If the life insurance pays out the full amount at once, the boyfriend/husband might squander it quickly, and even if he does not, his relatives might want to get access. There must be life insurances that pay out monthly over a long period?