Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Taiwanese culture?

Liked

Taiwanese culture?

Yes, quite obviously I know, wrong board, but thought it couldn't hurt to try. Any of our esteemed members familiar with Taiwanese culture at all?

Say I have a very important client from Taiwan coming to meet me shortly. I should buy him a gift and give it during introductions, correct? Assuming yes,any idea of what to get? Would just a nice, expensive bottle of red wine, nicely packaged in a red box with lid, tired with yellow ribbon do the job?

I don't think Taiwanese wai or anything, do they? Any other mannerisms I should be aware of?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Taiwanese culture?

dont think yellow is a good idea...in china someone with a yellow mind or thoughts means they have a sexually dirty mind..make sure the ribbon is gold coloured...and it should not be mistaken for yellow

Liked

Oh, really? Ok, thanks. Gold it is.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Well, Matt, I’m sure you didn’t think this thread would get by with just a word about yellow and gold ribbons and I’m also sure we are all wondering just how you’re going to pull off such a meeting. OK, for people like me who have nothing better to do, providing advice is a fun way of starting off our week.

Firstly, I hope you’re planning to meet at the Pullman Hotel in Khon Kaen. A visit to your village sanctuary would lack the panache needed to impress your Taiwanese client, especially if he had to step around animal droppings on his way in. Both you and Leo will have to show up at the hotel suitably attired, and of course Leo should be charged with carrying your impressive looking briefcase. So, shoes instead of flip-flops, trousers instead of shorts, and tell Leo that neither of you should be wearing those Songkran shirts, the ones that look like crass Aloha shirts.

Now, if the Taiwanese are like the Japanese, you’ll need to do a bit of bowing and employ the correct style of business card exchange. Since you won’t be able to see what’s going on, you’ll need Leo whispering in your ear. Note that these East-West introductions often include some confusion while each of you tries to shake hands or bow but neither sure which should come first.

You’ve already alerted your client to the fact that he should be on the look out for a farang with a white cane. OK, he sees you coming, he stands, Leo nudges you and points you in the right direction. Then, at a gentle poke from Leo, you say, “Good day Mr. ---, Ni Hao” or similar.

Tricky part next. Leo essential on carrying this off. Just do what he says. “Small bow, Matt”. “Oops, he wants to shake hands, Matt”. “Accept his business card now…BOTH hands, Matt..I’ll hold your cane”. “Now give him your card with BOTH hands, Matt.” (We assume you do have business cards.)

After that, it’s just up to you to impress Mr. Taiwan with your technical skills and display of the knowledge necessary to meet his needs. Of course you’ll need Leo again at the conclusion of the meeting to advise on the bowing and hand shaking sequence.

I’m sure things will go well.

5. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (November 13th, 2017)

Liked

And don't forget, the business card should be received and given with both your thumbs pointing at him.

On receiving the card you need to "study" it and make muffled grunting noises to indicate how impressed you are with his status.

Check first with Leo whether or not your guest has spotted your white cane. If not, you can go through this charade. But if he has, then again, Leo will have to pick up the slack.

And if he insists on visiting your village, please let Leo do the driving.

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (November 13th, 2017), joe552 (November 13th, 2017)

Liked

Bob, I live in the subburbs, not a village. Tad different. Don't worry, this is hardly my first important business meeting of my life. However, it is the first one with a Taiwanese national.

Not worried about it, as I'm more valuable to him than he is to me, so I'm sure all will be fine. Nonetheless, would like to go out of my way to provide respect and consideration for his cultural norms if I can. Not a huge deal, but would be nicely received I'm sure, and a good way to help cement the business relationship.

Anyway, don't worry about it... already knew this was a stupid thread to start. Tried Google, but can't come up with a whole lot.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

There are no "stupid" threads (or not many). And there are a number of people like me, unencumbered by family or business demands, who have absolutely nothing better to do than read and contribute to this forum. So, keep posting whatever you like. Whether we believe it or not, it gives us a reason to take part in the life of the forum.

10. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (November 14th, 2017)

Liked

You can add me to that list, bob
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.