List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bangkok December 19-27: planning activities...

Liked

Bangkok December 19-27: planning activities...

Hi everyone

I will be in Bangkok Dec 19-27 (my first time), and will be staying in the Tarntawan hotel (it was entertaining to read some threads about it on this forum...).
    I guess, staying there and given the proximity to all possible and impossible gay bars and clubs around, the gay interest and aspects of the trip will be naturally covered .

Other than that, I do actually want to see around and experience local culture, nature and food . In addition to sightseeing in Bangkok itself, I thought to perhaps visit some other places, such as Kaho Yai park, Ayutthaya and Damnoen Saduak Floating Market.

Would you recommend booking bus tours (I have seen some on Vetra website) to visit these places, or there is other more authentic way? I don't mind local public transportation, not from financial considerations really, but more so to experience real rather than touristic Thailand. I am in my 30s and in good shape, so I don't mind walking around and hiking long distances as well, if it will bring authentic experiences.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Liked

Re: Bangkok December 19-27: planning activities...

I consider Damnoen Saduak Floating Market a tourist trap.

Joining a tour has value for the beginner (but not for me any more), however watch out for tours that collect participants from various hotels, that can mean you drive around in Bangkok for one hour to pick up everyone before the journey starts. In the case of Ayutthaya rather take the train and walk or hire tuk-tuk there to get around.

3. 3 Users gave Like to post:

llz (November 13th, 2017), R01 (November 12th, 2017), Tintin (November 13th, 2017)

Liked

Welcome on board.

Look at my "signature" - Siamroads.com offers private local guides for to explore Thailand by your own plan.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

5. User who gave Like to post:

R01 (November 12th, 2017)

Liked

Thanks guys

It sounds like the only real value for a bus tour would be for Kaho Yai park...(far away, so I am unlikely to make it within one day there and back on public transport)...

I do have a Thai friend living in Bangkok (he studied in the UK) who will probably show me some places in the city, but I do not think he will have time to travel with me to other more remote destinations around.

Do you think a guide from Siam Roads could actually drive me to Kaho Yai, for example, and show me around the park, and then take me back to Bangkok? That would be nice...

Liked

I can highly recommend the Siam Roads guides.

The first time I went to Bangkok, I used the services of Mac and he was fantastic. I know the experience would not have been nearly as interesting and carefree for us without his help. I cannot speak highly enough of him and the other SR guides I’ve been in touch with. He showed us all kinds of things we would otherwise not have even noticed or been able to access and he is charming and enthusiastic, always a plus.

In addition to all that, he saved us money on many occasions, using is Bangkok savvy.

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Moses (November 13th, 2017), R01 (November 14th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Im kinda dissapointed that the response has been so weak. I certainly cannot contribute as aort fron originally doing a few temples and the palace I restrict myself to the farang gay zone of BKK....

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    Im kinda dissapointed that the response has been so weak.
    Weekend
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Liked

I have been to Khao Yai once (2012 on suggestion of a Thai friend) and found it disappointing. It might be a world cultural heritage, but to me it was just mountain and forest like anywhere else. Maybe I just missed the interesting parts?

If you like wild animals it might be interesting for you, but my interest in animals is largely either eating or petting them, neither of which is apposite here.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I have always liked the late night petting zoos of Pattaya...

13. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (November 13th, 2017), joe552 (November 13th, 2017)

Liked

Over the years I've done two or three excursions from Bangkok to Ayutthaya. If possible, go for one that returns you to Bangkok by riverboat - and, if you can get on board at the front of the queue, take a seat right up at the bow on the upper deck. You'll need a cap to protect you from the sun but, with a beer or two on hand, it's a fun way to see the most of the Thai countryside on the journey.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

15. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (November 14th, 2017), joe552 (November 14th, 2017), Moses (November 14th, 2017), R01 (November 14th, 2017)