FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Spacey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Red face Kevin Spacey

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...share_btn_link

Again my lack of computer skills is on show for all to see. This should be a link to an article in The Guardian about Kevin Spacey. Do you have an opinion?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Re: Kevin Spacey

I thought Kevin Spacey came out years ago. Is this his second coming?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Though there were rumors, I don't think he ever came out before. And that appears to be the basis for the criticism now, i.e., he did not come out until he was accused of inappropriate activity many years ago. People seem to be saying he is guilty of not coming out in the past, but surely it is contrary to human nature to announce what could have been, in years gone by, harmful to one's career.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The issue is not as to whether he came out or not, it's more as he has tried (intentionally or otherwise) to conflate the two matters into one, suggesting that his being gay was in any way anyway related to his allegedly attempting to bed a 14 year old boy.

The two issues are not related and make no more sense than Harvey Weinstein suggesting he did the things he's being accused of "because he was straight". No one would accept that as any form of defence or reason nor accept it had anything to do with the matter but would quite rightly just say "No, you did that because as you chose to try and have sex with a 14 year old boy" nothing more and being gay or otherwise is a totally different issue and the two matters aren't linked in any way.

5. 3 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (October 31st, 2017), joe552 (October 31st, 2017), scottish-guy (October 31st, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    The two issues are not related and make no more sense than Harvey Weinstein suggesting he did the things he's being accused of "because he was straight". No one would accept that as any form of defence or reason nor accept it had anything to do with the matter but would quite rightly just say "No, you did that because as you chose to try and have sex with a 14 year old boy" nothing more and being gay or otherwise is a totally different issue and the two matters aren't linked in any way.
    I think its important to note that what Harvey Weinstein is accused of and what Kevin Spacey is accused of are two separate things. The intention may have been the same, but Weinstein is actually being accused of rape whereas Spacey attempted sexual assault. Why is forty something Anthony Rapp bringing this up now? Because he thinks his situation is similar to the other #metoo revelations? Was Spacey advancing Rapp's career somehow by having sex with him or is this merely opportunism on Rapp's part?

No doubt, having sex with or trying to have sex with someone this young is bad enough. Is Spacey a pedophile or did he find a young boy in his bedroom, after a party where all the other guests had gone home already and what may have crossed a few people's minds, Spacey went way too far with?

His next greatest mistake was coming all out with it and spoiling his coming out. Was it to get it out into the open or to be accepted into the gay community as one of ours....because the later certainly didn't work.

Surfcrest

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest View Post
    I think its important to note that what Harvey Weinstein is accused of and what Kevin Spacey is accused of are two separate things. The intention may have been the same, but Weinstein is actually being accused of rape whereas Spacey attempted sexual assault. Why is forty something Anthony Rapp bringing this up now? Because he thinks his situation is similar to the other #metoo revelations? Was Spacey advancing Rapp's career somehow by having sex with him or is this merely opportunism on Rapp's part?

No doubt, having sex with or trying to have sex with someone this young is bad enough. Is Spacey a pedophile or did he find a young boy in his bedroom, after a party where all the other guests had gone home already and what may have crossed a few people's minds, Spacey went way too far with?

His next greatest mistake was coming all out with it and spoiling his coming out. Was it to get it out into the open or to be accepted into the gay community as one of ours....because the later certainly didn't work.

Surfcrest
    Rapp is coming out with the story now because the floodgates have opened for victims of rape, assault and other inappropriate, predatory behaviour to speak out safely. They feel safe because they know they are not alone and the public is listening because theirs is not an isolated case. Kudos to the two NYT journalists who broke the story; they created this safe space and I sincerely hope they win the Pulitzer. The majority of Weinstein’s victims weren’t raped but his other abusive, predatory actions towards them have been just as deserving of rebuke.

Incidentally this is not the first time Rapp has spoken of this incident. This is the first time he mentioned Spacey by name. He first spoke of the first incident in an interview with The Advocate in 2001 but the magazine had withheld Spacey’s name then. The Advocate has corroborated Rapp’s story and I suppose the climate created by the Weinstein firestorm has made it conducive to mention Spacey by name now. You can read The Advocate interview here:

https://www.advocate.com/news/2001/0...-everyone-else

Rapp is not some starving actor seeking fame and fortune. He’s had a long Broadway career and is in a successful TV series. He doesn’t need the money or the publicity.

Spacey knew how old Rapp was at the time; they had been working in a play together and it was Spacey who had invited him to the party. Rapp said he was bored because all the other guests were too old and he had withdrawn into a bedroom to watch TV.

Don’t forget; Spacey has not refuted Rapp’s allegations - merely that he didn't remember the incident - and tacitly admitted that he might have fiddled with the 14-year-old while being horribly drunk, as if that's an acceptable justification.

As others have said, this is just the tip of the iceberg for Spacey; predatory behaviour is rarely isolated and is usually part of a pattern. Here’s one report alleging this:

http://www.thisisinsider.com/men-who...t-list-2017-11

Conflating his sexual orientation/coming out with his predatory behaviour was not some honest “mistake”; it was a tactical miscalculation by his crisis management team and it backfired big time. I watched this old movie on TV once - can't remember the title - but it was about this American president who was caught fiddling a little girl and his PR team created a fake war to deflect attention from it. I didn’t sense an ounce of sincerity from Spacey’s Twitter message; it was damage control that put him deeper into the ground. I wonder if his PR team did it on purpose because they are tired of all the damage control they’ve had to do covering his ass (so to speak) over the years. I mean surely they’d know that this BS wouldn’t work – the PR industry is filled with literate gays who’d be attuned to (or been targets of) attitudes, perceptions and negative stereotypes of gay people and gays being kiddie fiddlers is one of the stereotypes that gay advocates have been trying very hard to fight.

Although the statute of limitations would make a lot of these crimes no longer prosecutable, I’m still glad that these stories are coming out and I hope more victims will come forward to share their stories. If nothing else, a predator might think twice before trying to make a move on his next victim and the ones who think they’ve got away, will now be looking over their shoulders wherever it is they’re hiding, be it Hanoi, Dublin or The Gold Coast.
    Last edited by sglad; November 3rd, 2017 at 01:46.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post

Don’t forget; Spacey has not refuted Rapp’s allegations - merely that he didn't remember the incident - and tacitly admitted that he might have fiddled with the 14-year-old while being horribly drunk, as if that's an acceptable justification.

As others have said, this is just the tip of the iceberg for Spacey; predatory behaviour is rarely isolated and is usually part of a pattern. Here’s one report alleging this:

http://www.thisisinsider.com/men-who...t-list-2017-11
    There's a lot of fake news inflating your post.

Where do you see anything about fiddling Rapp? Roberto Covazos was 26 at the time of his incident and Tony Montana relates he was in his 30's. Was Spacey's guilt, that he as a gay man or closeted gay man making advances towards these men or that they were much younger? He's no more a predator as someone climbing into a baht-bus to go to the bars to pick someone up in my opinion. Where were Rapp's parents, through all of this?

Surfcrest

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest View Post
    There's a lot of fake news inflating your post.

Where do you see anything about fiddling Rapp? Roberto Covazos was 26 at the time of his incident and Tony Montana relates he was in his 30's. Was Spacey's guilt, that he as a gay man or closeted gay man making advances towards these men or that they were much younger? He's no more a predator as someone climbing into a baht-bus to go to the bars to pick someone up in my opinion.
    Not fake. More and more accusations of sexual abuse and misconduct by Spacey, some from House of Cards' employees who claim Spacey created a toxic environment on set through his actions. Spacey is now doing a Harvey Weinstein by claiming to seek treatment, another PR strategy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/02/a...t-old-vic.html

Predatory behaviour doesn't necessarily mean the victims need to be underaged. It's about directly or indirectly using one's power to commit sexual offences against another person. Power that can be used to seduce, intimidate and ultimately avoid getting caught and to repeat those offences. "He was a man in a very powerful position on the show and I was someone very low on the totem pole and on the food chain there."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/02/medi...ey-harassment/

Liked

Nirish is completely right in his analysis.

What we now have is a perfect storm of outrage from those str8s who think all gays are perverts anyway and all gays who although they may like a bit of felching or bukkake or nailing each others cock to the table, don't want to be associated with perverts.

Liked

scottish-guy, I only understood half of the words in that post. What on earth is felching?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.