List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't (poor?) SE Asian families hug?

Liked

Re: Why doesn't (poor?) SE Asian families hug?

bob, I'm conflicted here - pasta is my favourite food, but I'm not sure about Italians.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    bob, I'm conflicted here - pasta is my favourite food, but I'm not sure about Italians.
    Joe, I don’t think pasta is mentioned in the bible and Christ was distributing loaves and fishes, not lasagna, so we are basically free to like or dislike pasta without offending any religious body.

However, there is Rome, where for hundreds of years, the popes were always of Italian heritage, and the city is the center of the Catholic faith, etc., so do we owe any type of respect or deference to the Italians we meet in daily life?

No, no more respect than we would accord those of the French or Albanian or Swedish persuasion. The only Italians I’ve met have been those on my mother’s side of the family and they were all born in the US. Thus, I probably cannot relate to your Dublin encounters with paesani.

Leaving the realm of political correctness, I now state freely that there are some groups I feel bear a burden of proof before they earn my trust, despite the fact that I have met some exceptional exceptions to this rule. These tend to be people from the Asia-Pacific part of the world.

If one is not comfortable with people of a certain ethnicity, but one enjoys their food, all I can say is buon appetito.

Liked

Have to think about that one, bob

Liked

Totally off topic, but since pasta was brought up.... we were out grocery shopping today, and I ended up throwing a couple bags of penne pasta in the wrong cart.

hehe, quite funny... "here, I think you could use some pasta, have some~!". Then Leo comes back, "no Matt, that's not our cart, our cart is over here". Ohhh, ok...

hehe... you had to be there, but it was pretty funny. Apparently, the ladies who I thought needed some pasta took it in good humor too, and just laughed it off.

Liked

Gosh, Matt, the excitement of your daily life life never ceases to amaze me. Now, a technical question, how did you explain to Leo that it was penne pasta you wanted, not spaghetti, not lasagne sheets, but penne?

As I said above, pasta dishes are my favourites, and despite being Irish, I eat more pasta than potatoes. But I would struggle to describe the kind of pasta I like (spaghettit, linguine, etc) to someone who spoke English, let alone someone who is not au fait (french) with Western food.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Gosh, Matt, the excitement of your daily life life never ceases to amaze me.
    I can understand why you find it exciting.
    Last edited by Brad the Impala; November 14th, 2017 at 00:59.

7. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (November 14th, 2017)

Liked

Gosh, Matt, the excitement of your daily life life never ceases to amaze me. Now, a technical question, how did you explain to Leo that it was penne pasta you wanted, not spaghetti, not lasagne sheets, but penne?

As I said above, pasta dishes are my favourites, and despite being Irish, I eat more pasta than potatoes. But I would struggle to describe the kind of pasta I like (spaghettit, linguine, etc) to someone who spoke English, let alone someone who is not au fait (french) with Western food.

No, it's just that I concentrate on the important things in life -- the small, meaningless things, because after all, that's what makes life worth living.

And I've been living with Leo for about 15 months. He knows what penne pasta is. When he doesn't know what I'm looking for, I have Siri on hand, and she's excellent at searching the internet for images for me, so I can show Leo or the clerk what I'm looking for.

Liked

I love it when a new character is introduced to the soap opera without warning. So now we have Siri, who's apparently female (although, I admit, could be an app, for all I know). But now we have a 3 way relationship. And that's just for shopping. What's the sound of a mind boggling?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

What's the sound of a mind boggling?
    Probably close to the sound of the voice of Siri, you know that electronic intelligent voice assistant (App) that that Matt WAS actually talking about :-) As to how Matt can be sure as to what image Siri IS actually showing on his said device that he's showing to the shop worker etc is I suppose a whole other matter.

Liked

I love it when a new character is introduced to the soap opera without warning. So now we have Siri, who's apparently female (although, I admit, could be an app, for all I know). But now we have a 3 way relationship. And that's just for shopping. What's the sound of a mind boggling?

hahaha. come on Joe, you're only 62. You're not supposed to be that out of the loop yet.

Siri is Apple's little voice assistant that's built into all iPhones, and has been for many years now. I just tell my phone something like, "search for images of asparagus", then show my phone to Leo / clerk, wait for something to get put into my hands, and feel it out to see if that's what I want or not.

I could understand if you don't know who Alexa is yet, but you should know who Siri is by now.