Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Retirement destinations

Liked

Re: Retirement destinations

Here's another long term visa question - just out of interest - and perhaps bob is our resident expert. Is it easier to get a long term visa for Vietnam than for Thailand?

I have an older brother who's lived in Cambodia for a few years. As far as I know, he gets some kind of annual business visa for a couple of hundred US$, although the lazy fucker's rarely worked a proper job in his life.

Moses, note the presence of the $
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Joe, Vietnam visa rules are ephemeral at best. Because of the nature of my work, I am not eligible for the ordinary long term visa available to certain types of business people. So, for the past 17 years, my office has been renewing my tourist visa. Sometimes the VN government allow 3 months per renewal, sometimes 6 months, and if you've said your prayers and brushed your teeth regularly, you get a one year renewal. Got 2 of those in 17 years.

Now there is also a new type of multiple entry visa, valid for a year. Looked into it but it seems to be only for people who actually run a local business or who are sponsored by a local business.

There is nothing resembling a retirement visa in Vietnam. Check the website of the Vietnamese Embassy in Dublin. May be some new items that have cropped up very recently.

I think the Cambodian government came up with some sort of 3 year visa earlier this year. Details on their website.

3. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (November 11th, 2017)

Liked

As I said bob, I was asking just out of interest. But there may be others here who will find that information useful. Thanks.

bob, I'm somewhat surprised that you're still 'employed' (no insult intended). Is it your own company who gets your visas for you, or how does that work?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    bob, I'm somewhat surprised that you're still 'employed' (no insult intended). Is it your own company who gets your visas for you, or how does that work?
    "Employed" as in "show up at the office every day" ? No longer, though that was true 17 years ago. For the past several years I have not been to the office more than a few times each year. Fortunately we have reliable staff here in Vietnam and at my former home base in Orange County, California.

I and my Vietnamese business partner in San Jose started an immigration support services agency 30 years ago. He's in his early 50's now and with my blessings is taking a very active role in running the company. I just do a few things that are easily handled with a computer: editing letters, appeals, inquiries destined for US government agencies; Contacting the US Consulate here with status inquiries; keeping staff up to date on changes in US immigration laws; preparing scripts for our weekly radio shows in the US.

In fact, I rarely have the energy to devote more than 10 hours a week to such work, often less. So I spend my days looking after my health and continue to receive half of the net from our business. Everyone seems satisfied with the situation.

Liked

Thanks, bob

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Christian is there as guest of honour (and will take the opportunity to stock up on toilet rolls from various venues)
    You like that one, don't you?

I will give you a signed copy of my upcoming book "How I got rich and retired at age 35 by collecting returnable bottles, squeezing all toothpaste out of tubes, and taking toilet paper rolls from hotels" next time we meet.

(It seems the use of returnable bottles is limited to German speaking countries, wikipedia entry is only in German language. For standard beer bottles, you get 0.08 Euro when you return them to a retailer. However many people are too lazy (or too drunk?) to do so, and leave the bottle next to a dustbin - so people who collect returnable bottles - which is a sport in my family - don't have to go through the contents of the dustbin - in the train/bus, on the lawn, wherever they consumed the contents.)

The toothpaste is inspired by bangkokbois:

lifes-a-beach-60.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    If it's all right with you, I'll wait for Christian to answer.

Unlike either of you he tends to know what he's talking about
    I thought it is common knowledge that you can get one extension of 30 days on visa exempt or tourist visas entries to Thailand.

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (November 11th, 2017), joe552 (November 12th, 2017)

Liked

Yes but I wanted it confirmed that only ONE extension can be obtained

The context was Joe seemingly being advised he could live in Thailand on the basis of 30 day extensions, and I couldn't see how that was the case - or perhaps I misinterpreted the advice.

Liked

Only one extension.

11. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (November 12th, 2017)

Liked

Just an update on my research in Tenerife - a studio/one bed apartment can be had for €350 per month

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Tenerife is certainly the safest option for the reasons u stated..EU, close to home, gay community, warm...

14. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (November 13th, 2017)