Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Retirement destinations

Liked

Re: Retirement destinations

sglad, I only wish I knew, honestly. If you've been reading my posts over the last couple of months, you'll know I have a couple of issues to deal with before I'm ready to rejoin the workforce.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad
    My grandma is in her early 70s and works five days a week.........She says she'll go crazy if she stays at home watching TV all day.
    Apposite

Liked

sglad, I think it's great that your grandma is still active. My mother was going dancing a couple of times a week in her late 80s. But you don't know anything about my personal circumstances, so you're not in a position to comment.

4. User who gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (November 8th, 2017)

Liked

In 1999 when she turned 60, my mother started walking 2 miles a day.

Fuck knows where she is by now

6. 5 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (November 8th, 2017), christianpfc (November 10th, 2017), dab69 (November 10th, 2017), joe552 (November 8th, 2017), Smiles (November 8th, 2017)

Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked

I sometimes wonder about retiring to a warmer climate. I have a few years more to go than Joe - still in my forties. Sometimes I like imagining it, especially in chilly November days like today here in Ireland.

However, like Joe I think about my family connections here. I wouldn’t say that I am particularly close to my family, but still I would think twice before moving so far way from them as the connections I do have are important to me. I sometimes think it is slightly sad to see that, from reading various gay message boards, that a lot of older single gay people feel they have few connections to family and friends that would put them off retiring along distance away. At the moment my parents are still alive so it would feel weird it to contemplate such a thing but I guess if I reach 65 and my parents had passed on, there would be a different consideration.
    I will have more options than Joe as I will have an occupational pension and also I hopefully we’ll have a mortgage on my flat paid off which means I will have some capital when I retire. But at the moment I think Tenerife a would be a more attractive prospect, even though Thailand would be more fun in the obvious sense. The difference in culture and being so much farther away if anything went wrong would be factors too.

Actually, as a gay guy, wouldn’t Gran Canaria be a better option than Tenerife? That is where most of the gay nightlife etc. is, I think.

There any particular reason why you choose Terrine over Gran Canaria Joe?

Is it just because you’re are used to visiting Tenerife with your family

Liked

I was just trying to post same as Ronan above. But lost (yet another!) Post on my mobile.

Joe: why not try the spanish mainland instead if the Canaries. Malaga and Costa del sol area?

Food and drink are cheaper on the mainland. Flights also cheaper, more frequent and of shorter duration.

Of course you would have to contend with a harsher winter on the mainland to the canaries... But their winter is about as bad as our summer!

South of Spain has far more historical and cultural things for you to keep busy with!

Liked

Thanks for your reply, Ronan, but really if you're working, shouldn't you be in bed by now?

Re: Gran Canaria - I've been there twice, and just didn't enjoy it. I tend not to seek out gay life on holiday. I went alone the first time. Visited a few bars in the Yumbo centre (is that right, SG?) Found nothing special. The 2nd time I went with a friend, and we tend to just go for dinner and a few (?) drinks.

Yes,there's a familiarity to Tenerife, and that helps. As I've said before, I'm effectively celibate, and that doesn't really bother me any more. I'm looking forward to a bit of sex in Pattaya on my holiday, but I'm sort of resigned to being alone in my real life. If that sounds a bit pathetic, it's not meant to. I have a couple of issues to deal with, but generally, I'm not in a bad place in my life.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (November 8th, 2017), francois (November 8th, 2017)

Liked

colmx, we were obviously posting at the same time. I spent one of my birthdays in Malaga and really like it. Also spent a Christmas with my mate in a place called Antequera, half an hour in the hills above Malaga. Great place. So yes, mainland Spain is certainly an option. You're right about the variety of cultural attractions. Something to think about.

Liked

Let's add another question into the mix. Without question, I'm happier, more comfortable, and more at ease with my life than I probably would ever be in Canada. As a sacrifice though, yes, I do somewhat have to give up the family, even though it's only be for a few days maybe 2or 3 times a year as we're pretty spread out.

So stay in Canada, probably be unhappy or at the very lease uneasy / uncomfortable with my life. Or enjoy life here where although hard at times, I do know I'm far happier, and more at ease with myself, plus enjoy being in a Thai society much more than Canadian society. Simply more polite, respectful, peaceful, etc. It's a better fit for me.

How does the above type of scenario factor into your guys' decisions? Do you have family you see once or twice a week? Or is it more like my family, where we get together for a few days during the holidays, weddings, etc., and that's it?

Liked

I would see my sister about once a month, and we talk twice a week. My older brother I would talk to on the phone every couple of weeks. If I lived in Tenerife, I could maintain that level of contact. And as I've mentioned, lots of my family (nephews and wives) enjoy going to Tenerife on their holidays. So regular visits would be easy to arrange.