Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Retirement destinations

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Retirement destinations

On the other hand, I am probably better off here in Vietnam at this time. I have someone who cares for me and about me, I don't have to brave the winter in North America, the doctors' visits and medications are within my budget. This is not where I expected to wind up, but were I here alone and in poor shape financially, then it would definitely be a sad situation.

2. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (November 7th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Bob: In Vietnam, 2 year work permissions are given only to foreign experts, managers, company directors.
    SG: Yes Bob but I'm all of the above - as you'd expect!!!

Bob: Of course SG, I just wanted to give you a chance to confirm that.

Indeed, it sounds like you would be able to receive the proper guidance in working and living in Saigon. My only advice would be to try to do both in District 7.

Liked

Guys, you've really come up trumps with the advice. It's given me a lot to think about, and I'm sure there are others who will learn from it. I had already ruled out Pattaya as a retirement destination, for all the reasons given here, and was using it to compare with Tenerife, which is my preferred option.

colmx, the Jobseeker's Allowance is €193 now, and may go up again in the Budget next week. The State pension will almost certainly rise.

My sister is 2 years older than me, so I will be able to learn from her experience when the time comes.

Thanks again for all the helpful insights.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I cannot offer any words of advice to Bob and can only express my sadness that things have turned out like this.
    Thank you for your kind words, Oliver. While I am not looking forward to the next few years, at least my partner of 17 years is beside me, through think or thin. Could be worse.

6. 4 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (November 7th, 2017), arsenal (November 7th, 2017), joe552 (November 7th, 2017), Oliver (November 7th, 2017)

Liked

Joe, have you ever considered that you may be debating tourist locations a little too much? I've been to Tenerife before, and that's about as touristy as it gets in this world. Same goes for places like Pattaya.

For example, if you get together with your friend, maybe ask him to take you up to Sisaket, so you can check it out for a few days. Off such a limited budget, you'd probably be far more comfortable in somewhere like Issan.

Just a thought...

Liked

It's an interesting question Matt. But if I'd feel lonely in Pattaya, how isolated would I feel in Sisaket?

Anyway, the visa issues are the big problem, plus the distance from family. Thailand is not an option for me.

If I were to move to Tenerife, I wouldn't live in a tourist area, but maybe in a small town/village away from the coast. A half hour bus ride from the tourist spots takes you into some lovely places.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    No wonder Brits are scouring their family trees desperately trying to find an Irish granny

If only having a dual citizenship and passport provided a double pension but alas I doubt that is the case - if so someone please advise and forward me the forms to sign up immediately !!

10. User who gave Like to post:

scottish-guy (November 7th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    Oops ... what happened to Colmx's visa ideas? Apparently I replied to a ghost!
    PS but ... thanks Comx regarding the EU standards regarding universal health care within EU. I was not aware of that.
    I think I must have accidentally deleted my post, whilst trying to edit a typo on my phone (lesson learned: leave the typos!)

Anyway no point in rewriting... seeing as Pattaya is already ruled out!

As for the EU "universal healthcare" not quite sure if it stretches so far as medical tourism... but it certainly covers accidents and emergencies
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

As far as I understand it, if I apply for "Residencia" in Tenerife (kinda like Permanent Resident) it gives access to all the services enjoyed by a citizen of Spain. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it works. I think colmx is right - accidents and emergencies are covered, but nothing else.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    Where would you prefer to retire to, given a choice? I'm officially unemployed at the moment (just approaching 62). The Irish government plan is that by the time I reach 'retirement age', that age will be 67.
    But what are you going to do between now and then? Five years is a long time. My grandma is in her early 70s and works five days a week as a tea lady at a coffee shop. She's happy to be working and interacting with people, and to have some extra pocket money on the side. She says she'll go crazy if she stays at home watching TV all day.