Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement destinations

Liked

Re: Retirement destinations

Maybe check out https://www.internations.org/

It's a great, helpful expat community with members in most corners of the world. Definitely members in any place you'd contemplate retiring to.

Liked

Matt, I had a look at that site, but don't see how it can answer the questions I have about my future. I've registered as a member and will explore it tomorrow; thanks for the suggestion.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by aot871 View Post
    My uk old age or state pension what ever u want to call it is approx. 155 gbp or 176 euro
    So..............

UK State Pension 8094 GBP a year + 10 GBP Xmas Bonus + splendid isolation after c.2019
    Irish State pension 11705 GBP a year + 190 GBP Xmas Bonus + an EU Passport till you croak

No wonder Brits are scouring their family trees desperately trying to find an Irish granny

Forum's veteran
    Liked

amazing the irish pension is better than the UK one. However is that the full story??Are there any esubsidies that UK pensioners benefit from that Irish dont? As for isolation, there are several non EU european countries that sem to do just fine...Switzerland being one...and with the UK being a huge contributor to the EU budget I wonder who really needs who the most.

Liked

Not getting into a Brexit argument thanks.

I'm a bit younger than Joe but I have no family at all - just me - so my plan is that when the time comes I completely sell up my property and business and bugger off somewhere I can be with my BF since they are determined not to let him in here.

However, I do realise that I'd want a decent standard of living and therefore I wouldn't have enough cash to live for say 30 years if I was lucky enough to last that long.

I wouldn't and couldn't be content to just sit and get pissed every day. I'd want to be able to work in some way to offset our living costs so that the lump sum isn't eaten away before I pop my clogs.

So wherever we went I'd need to be able to get a work permit. It seems far easier to work in Vietnam than Thailand but I wouldn't rule out a move to somewhere completely off the wall like Georgia (not the one in USA)

One thing I'm determined on is that no distant relative is getting a penny out of me

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    amazing the irish pension is better than the UK one. However is that the full story??.Are there any esubsidies that UK pensioners benefit from that Irish dont
    The UK National Health System has shorter queues than the Irish system, so I guess that a good benefit

Not only is our Pension better, our Dole is also far better:
    The standard weekly Jobseekers Allowance rates available to an individual in Northern Ireland range from 64.21 EUR to 81.05 EUR

In the Republic of Ireland, the standard weekly rates for Jobseekers Benefit or Jobseekers Allowance range from 84.50EUR to 188 EUR
    My understanding is that almost everyone over 26 qualifies for the full 188EUR rate...

And that's why we (allegedly)have hundreds of people flying over from Poland once a month to sign on for their dole!

Granted the cost of living in the Republic is far higher (Rent, Food, Electricity, Internet etc)
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

I love any post where one is promped to "eat gruel" in order for one's measly monthly pension to make do.

Seriously Joe, there's not a chance in hell that you could get a Retirement visa if Colmx's amount of 37,000 Thai Baht a month is correct. You'll need at least 65,000.
    Secondly, the old rules regarding visa runs have completely changed. Now you are only allowed a few (can't remember how many are allowed, but it's not many). Besides that, every 90 days visa runs can get expensive as well which will significantly eat into your income.

And then, could I afford to be in in hospital? In Tenerife, medical care is free.
    Really? Free for a foreigner? Are you sure?

Not to be harsh, but it sounds like a bit of a fantasy world my be going on in your head.
    Last edited by Smiles; November 7th, 2017 at 07:30.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Joe u really do need to some some serious research before u up sticks, or at least try before u buy...as in move to Tenerife...rent a cheap place for 3 months and see how u like it.

Liked

I hear The Gorbals is lovely and has the priceless advantage of Scotty being in the next tenement should you need him to do anything for you. His quips and puns and 1970s comedy references will make the long winter nights just fly by.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...personally if I had to select it would be Brazil...all colours..shapes..and sizes...