I know the subject of retirement is a recurring one on the board, so if you're not interested, this would be a good time to hit the back button.

Where would you prefer to retire to, given a choice? I'm officially unemployed at the moment (just approaching 62). The Irish government plan is that by the time I reach 'retirement age', that age will be 67. So another 5 years. I will have a very small private pension which will kick in when I'm 65. So even if I wanted to retire to Pattaya, and I'm by no means sure I would, I wouldn't have the required funds for a Retirement Visa (as I understand the regulations).

But there is also the family side to consider. If I lived in Pattaya, it's unlikely I'd see any of my siblings again. A niece or nephew might come out for a couple of weeks, but even if that is unlikely. And I don't like that idea.

I like the idea of retiring to Tenerife, in Spain's Canary Islands. Year round sun, low cost of living - I could rent a studio for half what I'm paying here (and I'm in a very cheap place in Dublin), cheap wine and food. It's 4 hours from Dublin, and my family regularly visit now anyway for holidays. So I wouldn't be totally isolated and "on the other side of the world".

For those of us in our 50s and 60s, this is a question we have to think about. So where would you like to retire to? And where would it actually be practical? Or maybe you'd prefer to stay in your home country?

This ain't a downer of a thread. Once my State pension kicks in, I see the world as my lobster, and have the choice of staying here in Dublin or going to Tenerife.

What say you, gentlemen? (sorry that turned out to be longer than I thought, but I'm going to leave it)