Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement destinations

Liked

Retirement destinations

I know the subject of retirement is a recurring one on the board, so if you're not interested, this would be a good time to hit the back button.

Where would you prefer to retire to, given a choice? I'm officially unemployed at the moment (just approaching 62). The Irish government plan is that by the time I reach 'retirement age', that age will be 67. So another 5 years. I will have a very small private pension which will kick in when I'm 65. So even if I wanted to retire to Pattaya, and I'm by no means sure I would, I wouldn't have the required funds for a Retirement Visa (as I understand the regulations).

But there is also the family side to consider. If I lived in Pattaya, it's unlikely I'd see any of my siblings again. A niece or nephew might come out for a couple of weeks, but even if that is unlikely. And I don't like that idea.

I like the idea of retiring to Tenerife, in Spain's Canary Islands. Year round sun, low cost of living - I could rent a studio for half what I'm paying here (and I'm in a very cheap place in Dublin), cheap wine and food. It's 4 hours from Dublin, and my family regularly visit now anyway for holidays. So I wouldn't be totally isolated and "on the other side of the world".

For those of us in our 50s and 60s, this is a question we have to think about. So where would you like to retire to? And where would it actually be practical? Or maybe you'd prefer to stay in your home country?

This ain't a downer of a thread. Once my State pension kicks in, I see the world as my lobster, and have the choice of staying here in Dublin or going to Tenerife.

What say you, gentlemen? (sorry that turned out to be longer than I thought, but I'm going to leave it)

Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Retirement destinations

Is sex important to U???
    If the reply is yes then its gotta be Thailand...only place a dirt poor geriatric is gonna get the chance to experience firm MB butt..or cock...
    If its the canary islands u will probably only experience this every 2 months or so based on your limited income.
    BTW...your oyster is more like a cockle...your lobster is a shrimp...

3. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (November 10th, 2017)

Liked

Joe - how much is the Irish state pension that you could possibly consider living overseas on it?

If it was the British pension you'd be lucky to be able to move to Moldova and live on gruel.

But wherever you go I would advise you to seek counsel from ChristianPFC - and your limited funds will let you live like a King!

He can help you save loadsamoney by e.g. taking your old used toilet roll tube into bars and swapping out their full bog roll into your backpack and saving money on new flip-flops by securing a loose toe post with bread bag closures.

http://christianpfc.blogspot.co.uk/2...collected.html

5. 3 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (November 7th, 2017), joe552 (November 7th, 2017), Smiles (November 7th, 2017)

Liked

I wasn't being cruel or uncaring - just helpful!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Joe - how much is the Irish state pension that you could possibly consider living overseas on it?
    Irish State pension is 222EUR per week = 196 GBP
    Taking into account the bonus week at Christmas, that averages at 980EUR per month, this equates to over 37000THB per month

I say take your 37,000 THB per month, live in a 5000B room and move to Thailand
    https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...or-500-dollars

http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=183
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

8. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (November 10th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

thanks for the link..i did follow christian's blog for a while but missed the tight ass section u so cleverly posted a link to

Liked

Well guys, I'm certainly glad that my thread is being treated with the seriousness it deserves. I'll try to address your points.

latin - I've always had a low sex drive (physical or psychological?), so sex is not that important. And even if I lived in Pattaya, and it's on tap, so to speak, it wouldn't bother me to do without. So that's not a consideration.

SG, the current State pension is 243 Euro per week. I could find a studio in Tenerife for 450 Euro per month. So affordable, I think.

I have many reasons to kill myself, but if I ever got to be as cheap as Christian, it would be immediate. (no offence, christian)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    SG, the current State pension is 243 Euro per week.
    I didn't realise it was that high compared to UK pension! (and isn't it due to go up again in April?)
    That averages out at 1073 EUR per month, which is 41,000 TBH per month

You would need to stop drinking your (heavily taxed) wine and change to beer or Thai whiskey (But not Lao Khao!)

This guy lives in Pattaya and has an interesting blog:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-OG-hE7VUs
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

My uk old age or state pension what ever u want to call it is approx. 155 gbp or 176 euro

Liked

colms, when my mother still lived at home (2 years ago) that was her basic pension. She got other allowances, like cheaper electricity, fee TV license.

I guess I have 2 points. One is financial, and one is social/personal.

Financial first. I could live on the State pension in Pattaya (presumably doing monthly visa runs?). I'd be happy in a fairly basic 'loom'. I presume I could live here doing visa runs because I wouldn't have the money for a proper Retirement visa.

Personal: I might be exaggerating this in my own head, 'cos I don't see much of my family since my mother died. I talk to my sister twice a week, my brother every 2 weeks or so. But at least I know there only a few miles away if I need help. Where would I find that in Pattaya? That scares me. Being so far away, and not having anyone close by who'd be called if I got hit by a baht bus and ended up in hospital. And then, could I afford to be in in hospital? In Tenerife, medical care is free.

Anyway, I'd love to have someone to sit down with to talk this stuff over with. As it is, I'm just guessing.