Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New Members

Liked

Re: New Members

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    1. I think if someone had posted (and I paraphrase) that I probably miss the "good old days" in Sunee because in those days it was easy to molest children - I'd feel libelled - wouldn't you ?
    I'm taking this a bit off-topic but seems to be being discussed by mods so I take it as ok.

As you rightly said in another post we have never seen eye-to-eye (under-statement) but I do appreciate that you are supporting the fact you saw me as being libelled and I would certainly take the same stance if the other way round.

To be honest it's been a bit of a shock to read here and over at Gaythailand that there has been a fuss regarding samebb comments.I didn't really notice until I fully read this thread and the stuff over at Gaythailand, which I did in hindsight as I had vented at samebb and was done with him.

I did see the post he made you refer to but skimmed over it because he was just blathering, really, I was more bothered about the fact he hadn't absorbed what was written in the original post and that he had assumed the 'bye gone era' I had referred to was Pattaya, but clearly from the original post it was a reference to Bangkok, not Pattaya, as that was where I spent most of my time in the early days, in Bangkok, not even in Silom/Surawong but in other areas.

Also I felt it simply didn't apply to me directly as he referred to 'his type' rather than specifically newalaan2, and was more of a general dig at older guys who visited Thailand back then, I wasn't part of the scene he was taking jabs at so didn't feel I had anything to defend, so it really just went over my head, in some way I kind of agreed with that sentiment regarding sunee 20 years ago, I hated it. The only two bars I visited reasonably regularly in sunee during the first 5 years of visiting Pattaya was Topman and NokNok (then run by M of the current Cupidol Bar). My time was spent in Pattayaland and Day/Night area where my hotel was, preferring karaokes and clubs to bars for picking up lads.

But I personally didn't feel he was direct enough to make an accusation. If I had felt that or he had made a clear accusation I would have answered it publically directly to him in a post, I am not known for holding back in these circumstances. He did the same with a threat of violence, pouring a drink over me, in a cowardly way.......and instead of making a direct threat he chucked in a LOL at the end as if joking. I have just found some of these details and I'm deciding whether they need a reply or not. My feeling was that after my last reply to him he really wasn't worth the bother/effort, but that said I'm not going to let threats go unanswered.

I told him in a post that 18 years of visiting produces many friends and many contacts, and those contacts are loyal friends, so he really does need to be careful with some of us guys here who have visited for years. Already I've had emails suggesting a name for him as well as other bits of info, without asking for any, these have arrived unsolicited. But I would be very hesitant about taking stuff from an anonymous internet forum to a real-life situation. I have met up with board members and bump into a few in my visits, see some regularly like francois but these are pleasant friendly moments in time.......not grudges.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

To be a good moderator you need the patience of Job and the skin of a rhino. Unfortunately none of the appointed moderators have demonstrated this, and I don't think that they would claim it for themselves either. People like that are hard to find, acknowledged.

What you certainly don't need is moderators with axes to grind and snarky comments to make.

As Bob says, SGT will change very little with the sort of tinkering being discussed, and in honesty I'm not sure that it needs to.

Liked

Scottish wrote:

2. I'm having difficulty understanding this management by committee you seem to be working under - one person says that all 3 Moderators need to agree on stuff whereas you yourself posted yesterday that ONE person could delete posts. Which is it - it can't be both.
    There are two categories of "stuff" but only one requires all three moderators to agree. The final decision is at the discretion of the owner.

Any moderator has the ability to edit/delete posts.

There is no "confusion amongst the moderation team" as such. The "confusion" lies in the poor wording in the Guidelines and Rules which is holding us back. We need to tighten them and add one or two new ones.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    ....SGT will change very little....and in honesty I'm not sure that it needs to.
    And therein lies the heart of the problem.

Liked

Yes. It needs to change very little I agree. Just a bit and it's only two new members recently who took it over the edge. Hence my request for ideas.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2 View Post
    How true and totally agree. Couldn't have said it better myself. I always wondered why you had your name at the foot of all your posts as if we couldn't read that the post was in fact authored by 'surfcrest' I guess you just like the look of your own handle. But here it did come in handy as the perfect response to your very own 'remark'.
    No my love, THAT would have taken you at least a full page...possibly a lot more and it still wouldn't have been funny.

Surfcrest

Liked

The point I am making is that many members do not want change - they think the board is ok as it is. Any attempt to rein in abusive posts, threats, take accusations and less time about other members is seen as interference in the free-wheeling nature of the board.

For example, just the other day I told samebb to be careful about what he posts in relation to members. I saw it as a warning, which moderators are allowed to issue when it seems things may get out of hand.

But another member saw it as a "threat" and suggested I should not have said anything.

You just can't win.

The situation we have faced recently is very unusual - three members all deciding to misbehave at the same time, necessitating moderation. Normally, most members manage to self-moderate and there had been very little call for moderation over the years.

In the years since Neal left and Moses took over, how many posts were made? Thousands, I'd imagine. And how many members have been banned / suspended? Very few.

How many posts have been edited or deleted? I can't recall any. (but I don't read every post in every thread).

So I think members are worrying too much about something that hardly ever occurs.

Changes to the rules are being considered on an attempt to address the "anything goes" nature of the board, as mentioned by Bobsaigon. Hopefully any changes will be soon finalised.

8. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (October 25th, 2017)

Liked

Jellybean for Moderator.

10. User who gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (October 26th, 2017)

Liked

Francois for Emperor.

12. User who gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (October 26th, 2017)