List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Thailand trip Bkk/Pattaya/Phuket/Issan notes.

Liked

Re: Recent Thailand trip Bkk/Pattaya/Phuket/Issan notes.

MFAS, I prefer to keep the conversation in-house - we don't want the hoi polloi to know about it. To be honest, the Tripadvisor reviews are mixed. Maybe it depends on the time of night that you go. I was thinking about 8 or 9, while the reviews mostly refer to 3am (while I'm safely tucked up in bed with my teddy bear and hot water bottle). Anyway, my friend knows his way around town, so I'll see what he thinks.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks for great report NA, very timely too as a friend and I are in the middle of debating a return trip to Phuket on our next trip after an absence of maybe 7 or 8 years.

I was concerned things had maybe declined too much since then sonewhat, but from your report there still sounds enough to entertain us for 3 or 4 days / nights there.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    Newalaan2, I'm assuming you typed "Cafe" with an acute accent. The software can't handle foreign language accents and anything typed after the accent can not be posted on the forum.
    Correct a447, well actually I typed in cafe and predictive text added the acute symbol which I really didn't notice as I was just rattling out 'stuff' and only go back to change something obviously wrong. It is irritating because it's not until the very end of your post you find out it's going to be cut short, I only knew about the

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    A question, newalaan, re: New York Diner. It sounds like the kind of place I'd like to take one of my friends. Is it actually on Walking Street? I presume there's a sign outside, so shouldn't be hard to find, I hope. Thanks again for your interesting and very detailed reports.
    Yes Joe, it's very easy to find right on Walking St about half way up on RHS, has a decent size frontage and sign. I've passed it numerous times and although don't watch much TV while in Thailand, bf usually has it on and they advertise quite a bit on local TV station as a cheap quick snack/meal type restaurant. It's a big place inside and stretches right back to overlook the sea with a few nicely set tables there. Even at 3am it was very busy indeed.

Bf was happy with the Thai food there and he is fussy, especially with seafood, plenty variation on the menu and although mostly western stuff is nice for a change. It was my first visit and bf suggested it for a change as we just came out of the club on our way back to the room. He liked it, with no criticism which is unusual for him in a western style restaurant. I had 3 dishes he had 4 so not expensive per item.

Liked

A lot of their dishes are crispy or require some chewing so poor Scottish won't be able to go. How tragic.

http://www.clubinsomniagroup.com/new-york-diner/

Liked

Is it the kind of place you'd take a friend to for dinner, or is it really for late night food? We'll probably take a chance. I especially enjoy eating on the waterfront.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Thanks for the report newalaan. So the original My Way in Patong has closed now? I was there in April, and although it was well past its heyday it was still fun.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks from me for this very long and informative essay.
    Just 1 Q arses: did you note wher most of the boys in Phuket came from? I would assume, given its proxy to its southern end tip, that many are now (also) Burmese/Myanmarese? Or perhaps even some enterprising Khmer/Cambodians?
    Flew to HKT last yr with a new start-up ThaiVietJet, also from Swampy, for less as 600 bt-but I somehow think they are banned now from Thai skies due to some safety rulings. domestic airterminal one big buildingplace.

Liked

BANGKOK.

The last part has a bit of a shocker to start with......after 18 years of travel to Thailand this was the first time I did not stay at least 2 nights at The TARNTAWAN HOTEL during a trip. We had a few days in Bkk for a change and opted to stay in apartment style lodgings as bf likes to cook his own and a bit of extra space is always nice. So we stayed at TARNTAWAN APARTMENTS virtually next door to the hotel instead this time. First time here and had a one-bed corner apartment on the 9th floor which had a nice outlook down Surawong Road. This larger corner unit was Bt2,500 a night and for the size and amenities in central Bkk surawong/silom we thought was reasonable enough. They do also have smaller Studio Apartments at about Bt1800 but they were fully booked the nights we stayed and I was unable to view one. But the Corner Units have decent size bedroom with modern furniture, comfy enough bed and bathroom off which had large shower cubicle and again was more modern than the Hotel. The lounge had kitchen area with microwave, fridge-freezer, kettle, toaster, cooker and all cooking utensils cutlery , dining table/four chairs, sofa and sofa chair, flat screen TV with over 100 channels, so well equipped. Breakfast was also included but as they don't have restaurant/caf on the premises they deliver that to the rooms I assume continental at the time you request the previous day. However we didn't have breakfast on any of the days, even at Tarntawan Hotel we rarely had breakfast. We are in Bkk for the last few days of hols and still out for late night fun with late wake up, so breakfast not required. Anyway bf prefers to rustle up his own late breakfast. They also will deliver food from Dicks with a full menu for Bt50 delivery charge. Again we preferred to take in our own so didn't use the service. We will return to Tarntawan Hotel i'm sure depending on trip schedule as bf loves it, but he also loved the apartment style rooms.

One of the nights we were there all the bars were closed due to King's passing anniversary, and it turned out to be a thundering night of torrential heavy rain, a real deluge and the first time also I have seen Suriwong Road resemble a small river. But we picked up some Heinekens and had a welcome night-in break from the early morning clubbing. But the weekend nights were busy as usual, but one stand-out oddity was the Soi Twilight Vs Soi 4/Soi 2 difference. On the Saturday night, normally very busy Soi Twilight was quiet. Even the host bars were not as full as normal and the GoGo bars were certainly very quiet. Old Solid Bar had us and a couple of other farang customers and all the time we were sat there I didn't see a single person enter X-Size across the way or Classic down the soi. In fact Dream Boys had little traffic also. Later Banana and Hotmale host bars were filling up as we headed to Soi 4.

But over on Soi 4 and 2 Silom it was completely different story as it was jam packed. Paid the new Jupiter 2018 a visit. Did visit last trip too and I remember it was Bt250 entry, but this time it was Bt280, probably because Sat night, and large plastic see-through 'tip box' kindly set up right next to cashier for you to deposit the Bt20 change from Bt300 handed at entrance for drink ticket. But really though I just don't 'get' this place as a concept for an Agogo bar. To be fair it has plenty of handsome, toned guys who the Asian customers seemed very attracted to, but the bigger, muscly type guys are not my style. But even if they were this set up is really just a Fashion Show Cat Walk rather than a Gogo bar stage as the guys appear for 2 mins strut around 'a bit' then off, most were fully clothed in 'fashion' combats and the like with even only a few topless never mind in briefs! The only thing brief about the whole thing the time they spend on stage, it is rapid fire turn around, if I was interested in offing I don't think they are on long enough to get a good look. Nevertheless, it was very busy with the 99% Asian customers who seem to like the format, but for me was just quite boring, but ok for a 'look in' and drink. Guys there definitely self centred, but very few asked down for drinks or offs. But as I say it was busy so the format must be a winner. I suppose the under Bt300 for the first drink and normal menu for subsequent drinks helps.

Onto Soi 4 to find it jam packed, in fact good waiter friend at Balcony had to pull together 2 seats and table right next to Jupiter as all tables on main terrace and that opposite full. A real mix of clientele with young straight couples, groups of straights, young gay farang couples and groups, as well as the many Chinese/Asians and but a few lone Thais and more mature gay Farangs here and there. But it had a great atmosphere not loud music but plenty chatter, waiters at both Balcony and Telephone rushed off their feet with many also enjoying a bite to eat as well as the drinks. Also sat at Connections next to the Katoey show bar and even these were very busy, lots of younger westerners coming and going. Great vibe. Back of midnight we headed to DJ Station Soi 2 to find that pretty well jam packed as well. Bt300 for 2 drink tokens as usual and all the bars were busy in the soi. Up the back stairs and found the place packed with young westerners but many young Indian guys, as well as the Chinese/Asians and a good few Thais on the look-out for a hook-up, but some in groups just enjoying the vibe. Usual tactic of Bt20 note with the drink voucher got quick service at the very busy bars, best bit was top of the rear stairs where the cages and bathrooms are, this area was full of guy dancing and interacting, so we stayed there bumping into one or two guys we knew from Pattaya, as well as approaches from Korean/Chinese guys just chatting. Closed 2am and we headed out just before that to get ahead of the masses on their way to GOD. Not too much of a Q and Bt350 for drink tokens, again busy inside with tons of fair skinned Asians the bulk of the customers, but managed to find our way around ok, and served quick enough at the bars, some real characters hang out here and lots of Thais here too looking for hook-ups....while it was good to see Soi 2/4 so busy it was a real contrast to Soi Twilight. Back to the room by 3.30am...not too bad for us!

On subsequent nights I did visit other Agogos. One was a bar I hadn't visited for years, and based on the one visit I made this time have to declare Screw Boys as the 'new' version classic boys of years gone by. I usually sit at the beerbar across from the entrance of Screw Boys at the start of an evening out with the first cool beer here as the barman/waiter is cute and very chatty, but always then go on the Soi Twilight and pass on Screw Boys. This night I was glad I did visit, drinks are a reasonable (compared to Twighlight)Bt300 and the line up of twinks was impressive, much like the Classic of 5 years+ ago. 15-20 guys in quick enough rotation of which 6 or 7 I could easily have offed if 'single'. A couple of irritating mamasans here but nothing compared to 'Classic' so that was a positive, in fcat the katoey who served me was very polite and unobtrusive. However one poor Korean/Chinese customer who looked about 20 had wandered in and was rather shy, preferring to keep his face in his iPhone with occasional looks to the stage, when he finally plucked up the courage to invite a boy over was shocked to find he had to buy the boy a drink, one of the hunkier lads however stuck with him no doubt in the hope of an off despite no drink, he chatted for a while and decide to leave, however he seemed to 'forget' he had a bin to pay, was finally persuaded to part with the Bt300, meanwhile the other katoey mamasan continued to harass the poor lad for a drink 'for me' and 'tip for me' YES you have pay me a tip! very loud and aggressively...yes! TIP FOR MEEEE! eventually the guy had enough of it and got a little enraged and finally just barged past the katoey and out, of course at which the mamasan and boy just 'laughed it off' with no idea the damage that can do. The male toilets here are at the back near the stage and one of the boys I had eye contact with was very quick to follow me in, asking about off and no need for drink if I was interested. So paid bill with no begging for tips, and gave Bt100 to very cute smiley twink on stage who chased after me when as I was heading out, keen for name and phone number which was surprising as everyone could see clearly. So yes, definitely well worth a visit, and if you liked the Classic style lads you will like the lads here. Good attitude too.

Also visited Hotmale agogo, again first for a while as it was the first time I had seen the new stage lay out. Tom on the door downstairs made sure my drink was Bt300 rather than the Bt400 clearly advertised (second drink Bt300) and enjoyed a sanmig for a change, with a fair audience for I think a Sunday when I visited, and good range of boys available. Show was ok too but didn't stay for it all. Mamasan/waiter knew from previous and was chatty but not pushy. It was actually quite busy in the host bars this night and the two Hotmale doormen had to shuffle a couple of lads for me to get a front seat, over the years these guys have been a great source of info and my passage along and in/out of the soi are gogo bar barker hassle-free thanks to them as one was doorman at Dream Boys for many years before moving to Hotmale and only takes a coffee if offered an occasional drink.

Well that's about it now! Still trying to 'get over' not staying at the Tarntawan Hotel this time for the first time and therefore unable to resurrect the Tarntawan Hotel thread.

10. 4 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 23rd, 2017), joe552 (October 22nd, 2017), Tintin (October 22nd, 2017), Up2U (October 22nd, 2017)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2 View Post
    However one poor Korean/Chinese customer who looked about 20 had wandered in ...
    On the rare occasions I visit a gogo these days, usually because some friend is visiting from overseas and "has" to go, there's usually at least one customer who'd I'd prefer over what's on the stage in front of me. Some mamasans do acknowledge the joke when I respond to their question "Which boy you want?" by gesturing to the customer

12. User who gave Like to post:

snotface (October 22nd, 2017)