Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel info BKK

Liked

Hotel info BKK

Just spoke (on Facebook) with my older friend. I've started a new thread because the old one went all sorts of ways. Anyway, this is the simpler of the 2 posts I intend to make. He's coming from Sri Racha to Pattaya on my birthday. Btw, any of you in the area of Sunee on the 9th Jan are welcome to come along and ply me with alcohol. Question is, where would you suggest? I thought about the bar I think/thought was called "green chairs". Across the Soi from All of Me. If All of Me had still been open, that would have been my choice. It has to be a bar he can easily find me in - I don't have a smartphone (what?). Anyway, I'll have to tell him in advance the name of the bar - I've never actually known the names, except AofMe. Suggestions welcome.

So this is the hard part. I don't know BKK at all (only been once for a couple of days with him) If we're meeting his parents and he's taking his wife, where the f*ck do we stay? I'd love to see his parents again - not sure about the wife. We had the best holiday of my life up in Si Saket for 2 weeks. They're simple folk, and I think a 2/3 star hotel would suit them. I'm totally in the dark on this one.

Thanks lads, for any advice or suggestions.

Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Hotel info BKK

Joe the Malaysia hotel is about 1000 bht a nite it has a Thai/Falang restaurant good not expensive, 60 bht to Silom...Hotel resently refurbished.....Good place for families and gays.....Mother, father, wife....O.M.G......how romantic....shortly someone will recommend the Tartawan Hotel just wait!
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

3. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (October 17th, 2017)

Liked

The trouble with getting hotel suggestions from me is that all my favourite locations are sleeze related and therefore not for decent folk.
    However having said that The Malaysia Hotel on Soi Ngam Dupli is ok for all and sundry now.
    The boy is Thai so maybe let him choose.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Joe the Malaysia hotel is about 1000 bht a nite it has a Thai/Falang restaurant good not expensive, 60 bht to Silom...Hotel resently refurbished.....Good place for families and gays.....Mother, father, wife....O.M.G......how romantic....shortly someone will recommend the Tartawan Hotel just wait!
    Great minds think alike MFAS.

Banned
    Liked

Another thumbs up for Malaysia Hotel. They just finished their restaurant refurbishment also!

Liked

Thanks lads. I did ask him, and he had no more clue than I did. Maybe I got the wrong impression of Malaysia? I thought it looked a decent hotel, but with a predominance (that's a good word, eh) of gay men, which he might not want to share with his wife and parents. I looked at it recently and was happy with it, especially the 24 hour restaurant. I'm an insomniac, so having somewhere to go at 4 in the morning, to have a beer (do they serve alcohol at that time?) or even just a coffee and a smoke would be great. I just didn't get the impression it was a "family friendly" place.

The rates I looked at were good, so seems like a good choice. Thanks.

Btw, I've lived this apartment for 2 years and never had a problem with noise. Right now I can hear some heavily Irish Republican music. Maybe they're having a "fleadh" up there?

Maybe that last cough just cleared my ears out? Now I can hear the TV from next door! And my doctor recommended I get a hearing aid. Think I'll have to revisit that decision.

Banned
    Liked

It was a gay hotel many years ago. I have heard some great stories from friends who have been visiting Bangkok for decades. Sure there are still gay customers, like any hotel, but from my visits there (only eating) it has a diverse clientele. Straight couples, Chineese, solo back packers. I have met a number of non-gay characters in the times I have used The Malasia as a late night eating spot, non of which I spoke to were gay.

Liked

Ah well, that sounds like the place. Where is it in relation to say, Soi 4 or the other place, whose name escapes me? Not that I plan to take his parents into that area, just so I might get an idea of what's close by. A boat to the Golden Buddha and the Palace?

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    Ah well, that sounds like the place. Where is it in relation to say, Soi 4 or the other place, whose name escapes me? Not that I plan to take his parents into that area, just so I might get an idea of what's close by. A boat to the Golden Buddha and the Palace?
    It's a 50-60 Baht taxi ride, or a 25 minute walk to Soi 4. I walked it once, wouldn't again. You could probably do it in 20.
    Add another 4 minutes to Soi Twilight, if you stick on Rama 4 and avoid getting stuck in the middle of the rude Chineese tourists around the girly bars. You will only run into them if you cut through Soi Convent ect.

Taxis come past Malasia Hotel every minute, all day, all night. I have got taxis from there with no wait at 4-5-6-7-8am (I frequent a nearly all-night karioke bar).

Liked

Joe552, for the next round of questions and advice regarding your upcoming trip to Thailand, perhaps you should get down to basics, and deal with wider range of questions.

Some (hopefully) helpful suggestions for your lines of inquiry:

1. Where is Thailand? Travelling from Ireland, should I look into ferry options, or would a simple bus ticket do, Is it on Mega Bus route, and how feasible is their 1 Pound return ticket promotion?

2. What's the weather there in January? Should I pack for Artic conditions, or is Thailand one of those warm countries?

3. Hotels! Now thats a tricky on, Hotel Malasya has been known for DECADES as 'go to' cheap, gay friendly hotel off Silom, but since I've spammed the board to death about my upcoming Jan trip, by now I'm simply unable to come up with anything remotly creative, or interesting , so I am going to ask about the one gay hotel, that needs no questions - Hotel Malaysia! But credit where credit is due, you could have asked about Tarntawan, and if its still ok, or has it been declining, but you didn't, I for that I'm grateful to you.

You didn't ask if the bell boy in Tarntawan is the same from 2002, for that I thank you sincerely You speared me the pain, and just for that I shall crash your birthday party at Sunee in January with bottle of sensibly priced Thai whiskey (or Rum, depends who you consult).

I suspect there will be no invitation in the mail to be lost, so crashing is the only viable option.

Looking forward to January 11th!

12. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 19th, 2017)